Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
browneyedmom
Learning to Surf The Board

browneyedmom is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Is anyone else going to school?

I have been going back to college off and on since 2010. I am currently attending a community college and plan to start as a junior in the Fall for a degree in Elementary Education.

Is anyone else going or plan on going to college?

Have you been able to get aid as a single parent? If so, do you mind sharing? Thanks in advance.
browneyedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Is anyone else going to school?

I did go to school as a single parent. First an AA, then BA, then a law degree. My state has grants for single parents. I got my best scholarships when I transferred from community college to a private 4 year college working on building diversity. I ended up with a full academic ride.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
zomom
Sweet & Sassy

zomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I'm back in Jr College working towards an AA with intent to transfer to a University. My major is early childhood education.
I know there are a few programs, EOPS has grants for books, gives school supplies and helps with academic plans.
In CA there is title 5 that gives stipends to ECE majors. My advice is to get to know your financial aid officers and keep asking questions about programs and funding available. While meeting with my counsiler this am I asked about an issue and she found I was eligable for another program. This one offers a hundred dollar gas card and a grant at the end of the semester. Most of all be ever vigulant, there is assistance out there.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Tazie
Board Blazen Parent

Tazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant future

I'm in school right now, it can be done but it is quite hard.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
momofTDR
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I am. Thought I wanted a tech degree in Civil Engineering...a few classes shy and I changed to a BS in secondaryneducation. Emphasis is Geology, bit will have a Natural Science endorsement to teach all sciences. Also an outdoor education minor.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
MotherBoard
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

i am on and off as time permits. I got my aa, ba and made it into my masters program, took a break and will be back in this fall.

even if you just take a class for the semester, while working and kids, you will still be getting closer to finishing.

extremely hard, but doable, and definitely not on the traditional timetable, but it can be done.

extra aid, i did not find any for myself to use but i do have a list you can go through here, just look through the posts in this category. let me know what you find works and if i dont have it listed , so i can post it.

good luck
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote