Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 07-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Overprotective Mom
I am New

Overprotective Mom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going on 32 years old and work part time for $8 an hour. Recently, I've been thinking about going back to college. Or, at the very least, some technology school. We have some good ones here, Tennessee Technology Centers, namely. However, I'm wondering if I'm getting too old to start thinking about going back to school. Or even if I'll have the time to dedicate to my children's education, family together time, etc.

The reason I started this thread is to ask a little advice. And to find out, from your own personal experiences, if it's even possible for single parents to juggle everything.

Thanks in advance,
Myra
Overprotective Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Overprotective Mom
I am New

I'm going on 32 years old and work part time for $8 an hour. Recently, I've been thinking about going back to college. Or, at the very least, some technology school. We have some good ones here, Tennessee Technology Centers, namely. However, I'm wondering if I'm getting too old to start thinking about going back to school. Or even if I'll have the time to dedicate to my children's education, family together time, etc.

The reason I started this thread is to ask a little advice. And to find out, from your own personal experiences, if it's even possible for single parents to juggle everything.

Thanks in advance,
Myra
Old 07-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
BASICALLYAMY
Board Blazen Parent

BASICALLYAMY is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked and went to school at the same time when my oldest 2 were little. There were times that I would drop them off at the baby-sitters at 9am and not be able to pick them up until after 10pm. It was really hard at the time but it was worth it in the long run. Being able to earn a better living benefits you and your children so I say go for it! Besides, you're NEVER too old to learn.
BASICALLYAMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
crumpet
Learning to Surf The Board

crumpet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Myra

32 is certainly not too old to go back to school if that's what you want to do. I'm currently doing my honors year in child psychology and i work full time. I chose to split my school year and take two subjects a semester instead of four to lighten the load a bit. It is a touch exhausting but it can be done.

The other option is to study on line. I have a few friends doing courses on line which cuts out the traveling to uni and attending lectures. It depends on what you want to do as to whether this would be an option for you.

Study wise, i do most of my work at night when my daughter is fast asleep. I actually find it relaxing, and it is a perfect excuse not to do housework!!

Good luck, i hope this helps.
crumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
gabriel'smommy
Learning to Surf The Board

gabriel'smommy is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Crumpet. 32 is not too old. I just finished, last fall, my master's degree in library science at age 34. I also attended part-time and took several online courses.
You'll be so glad you did it--I'm sure of it.

Yes, it's difficult to balance work, school and time with your child, but it's possible. I was lucky in that my mom watched my son so I could do homework. But other times, he would watch a movie or play (with a few interruptions).

Please seriously consider going back. You won't regret it.
gabriel'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
me_and_alec
On the Board

me_and_alec is an unknown quantity at this point

You should definately go back to school! I wish I would have done it alot sooner. I think the longer I put it off the easier it was to put off a little bit longer.

Right now I work full time and go to school part time. I take two classes at a time, one online and one on campus. That makes it a little easier to add time with my son and household chores to the juggling act. I will admit that at times it is difficult, but I have said it before...being a single parent has given me the ability to somehow find time even when it seems like nothing else could possibly fit into the day.

When I was trying to decide whether or not to go to school, I listed the pros and cons and the pros overwhelmed the cons. I said what is the harm in just giving it a shot? What have I got to lose? The answer...not nearly as much as I have to gain!
me_and_alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Overprotective Mom
I am New

It'll be next year before I can start. I believe I'm going to do it though. My question to the one who said she took two classes at a time is, what degree are you working on? How long would it take to gain a bachelors/masters when taking a couple classes at a time? I thought about doing the same thing, only I don't want to still be working on it when I'm 50.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #8
SPIRIT30
Board Member

SPIRIT30 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's doable to be a sinlge parent and go to college and work full time or partime. I've done it. I went to college a yr after my son was born...I was 20yrs old. I did it for three years and graduated with an A.D. Money wise it can be hard and time wise its tuff as well. I just kept saying to myself that I'm setting an awesome example for my son and creating a good future for me.

Guess what at 29yrs old I decided after 3yrs of being out of college i'm going back. Granted this time I'm not going to working and going fulltime and money will be tighter but its worth it.

I'm going for a BA in Criminal Justice. What are you thinking about going for? To be honest I'm exicted to be going back and be able to learn and socialize with other people. I bet once you enroll and the yr gets started you will love it and it will be worth it.

Also apply for grants, pell grants and scholarships. There is so much free money out there at your finger tips. Good luck to you and I hope that you follow your dream of going to college.

SPIRIT
[IMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/SPIRIT30/Picture048.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/SPIRIT30/Picture099.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/SPIRIT30/Picture051.j
SPIRIT30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
BASICALLYAMY
Board Blazen Parent

BASICALLYAMY is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to carry a full load (12 credit hours per quarter) for some grants and scholarships to cover your tuition. At least that's the way it was 132 years ago when I was going to school.....
BASICALLYAMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
Bishop
Originator of “Coffee”

Bishop has a brilliant futureBishop has a brilliant futureBishop has a brilliant futureBishop has a brilliant futureBishop has a brilliant future

I did it as long as you have a strong support system i.e like family to help watch them and stuff like that

Just remember college is where most of us became a single parent........

SO go easy on the kegger's
Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
trishl
Parent on Board

trishl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Overprotective mom and welcome to SFV,I know you're going to love it here
At 32 you aren't too old to go to school.Don't be like me and reach 42 and still not being able to make my mind up to go.Then you will have to come here all the time like me asking endless questions and seeking advice about whether or not to go back to school.I wish I had made up my mind to go when I was 32 like you.My son would have been 2 then and my parents could have watched him while I took classes,I would have a much better job than I have now,we would probably own our own home,have money in the bank,and be so much better off financially than we are now---and so much happier.Use me as the "this is what I will become if I don't go to school" role model.Trust me,if you think you are too old at 32 to go to college,imagine turning 43 and still having the desire to get a degree but now your 11 years older.It's 2 or 4 years out of your life that can make the next 20 or so for you and your kids so much better.
By the way,I see you are from Tennessee,so am I.What part are you from? Good luck!!!!!!I can't wait to hear what you decided and what major you decided on.
And BigBobby,if you are reading this,I already know what you are going to say, "she should take her own advice and go back to school". LOL I know and I am trying,I promise.
trishl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #12
Overprotective Mom
I am New

Thanks for all the replies! Well, I've been looking at either a degree in Computer Science or a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Accounting). I figure I'll be able to find jobs easier and closer to my family with the business degree than the computer science.

As I said before, I won't be able to start until probably next year. I have student loans I have to pay off from back when I started taking a few courses for Surgical Technology. I found that I wouldn't much like it. There's no sense in completing something you know you won't like doing. (Those surgeons are mean!) I figure I'll pay most of the loans off at tax time. Then, I can reapply for a Pell Grant. I'm pretty sure I can get the whole grant. I have gotten it before. And, I think it will cover the entire cost of school.

You'll have to overlook me. I've heard talk about credit hours, etc. However, I'm not entirely sure what all that means. Does the Pell Grant allow part time attendance for working parents? Does 12 credit hours mean I'll have to take 12 courses per year/semester/whatever? I feel like a ninney! I know very little about all this. I've decided to go ahead and make an appointment with the school in order to get all this explained to me.

Another thing that has me worried sick. I've been reading through the courses and they seem rather hard for the Business Administration Degree. Math is certainly not my strong suit. Yet, it seems I would have to take college algebra and calculus. Shoot, I've been out of school for years. I don't remember much of anything when it comes to algebra. There's no way I'm ready for college algebra. Not to mention calculus. I'd fail, horribly. I wonder if they have some sort of refresher courses to prepare students for the main course work. I believe I'll be perfectly fine with everything else. It's just math that I don't remember well.

Trishl, I live in DeKalb County. Which is about an hour east of Nashville.

As for everything else, I've decided to go! That is, if I can get the grant and everything else works out.

Edit: Because, dernit! I can't even SPELL calculus. I could imagine my trying to pass it...
Old 07-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
Phil413
I am New

Phil413 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its tough, but do-able... I'm 22 with a 2 year old and will be carrying a full (12 credit hours) load this fall, plus working as as much as my schedule allows. This will be my 3rd semester as a single mom. Good Luck!
Phil413 is offline   Reply With Quote