Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 03-21-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
roxy1965
I am New

roxy1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Question: How can I get scholarships/financial aid for a second degree when there is not much aid available for post baccalaureates? (I did fill out the FAFSA online) How can I find creative ways of paying for school? The financial aid offices have not been that helpful. Those pursuing first degrees have priority over me. I did take out student loans about 15 years ago.

Hi, I am a 38 year old single mother of 4 children and already have a college degree. My ex is with the first 3 children half time, but I am with the youngest full time.
My youngest starts kindergarten in the fall and I wish to pursue a second degree. My first degree is not an area I am interested in and it would not pay well. I have been cleaning houses for the last 5 years and am ready to do something different. I have found out that there is not much financial aid available if you already have a degree. I will be able to enter as a junior in the fall and have great grades in my pre-engineering course work. As a mother of four (with no family in the area) I will not be able to work full time and go to school fulltime. I have put my life on hold (and it was a gift to be home with my kids) for so long and now it is my turn. How do I pay for school when there is not much aid for those pursuing a second degree? Thanks and what a great site!
roxy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:14 AM   #2
254bubrownie
I am New

254bubrownie is an unknown quantity at this point

only one bachelors degree to each person here in Texas
254bubrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
MotherBoard
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Post baccalaureate financial aid

you can get LOANS, just not GRANTS. GRANTS (free money) are given to people who are pursuing a degree..their first degree. You already have a bachelor's degree, and therefore don't qualify another bachelor's degree with grants. You can get student loans from many places.. just not a federal grant.

You may also try private scholarships, some do not have a degree cap.

start here: call 1-800-4-fed-aid or http://studentaid.ed.gov/

you could always go on to try for a masters degree and there are grants there, if you qualify.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote