Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
smshybug
At A loss for Words - NOT!

smshybug is an unknown quantity at this point

So classes are starting in a few weeks and let's just say I'm excited but not so much. I want to go back to school but time is my issue. I barely have time to do anything right now let alone when I will have to study and such. I am getting some anxiety about school and I know that it's a good thing but the anxiety seems to be building. I haven't even gotten my books yet. I was thinking that I may sit down this week and try to come up with a feasible schedule so that I can "deal" with the upcoming business. Anyone have any suggestions?
smshybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Caitlin
On the Board

Caitlin is an unknown quantity at this point

Time is a luxury when we are single parents and juggling so much. We should all get medals...but here in the real world the best thing to do is set up a plan/schedule. It is timeconsuming to do so and will seem awefully rigid and sometimes monotonous but at the same time you will be able to schedule time for you, school, life, and more importantly, quality time with your daughter.

Tips: Start with the things you can't change time of (classes, work, etc.) Write down your daughters schedule (if there is one) and see how it coincides w/ the things you can't change. Try to make a minimum of changes and schedule quality time with her so that she knows she is the most important thing. This will help her to help you too. Give her little chores she that are age appropriate and if you need a study time when she is awake, explain to her what you are doing and designate that her time to read, do work book pages and picture/reading books that she doesn't need help with/disturb you. This will teach her how important studying is and will be easier for you when she's in school. You can have "homework time" together. It sounds overwhelming, but after a few weeks it will become second nature to both of you...Also, I would start doing it ahead of time to set the rhythm....less aggravation later and will hopefully eliminate some stress for you while your doing your balancing act.

Hope this helps! Good luck and hang in there!

Caitlin
Caitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
smshybug

Thanks. I will do that tonight I think. I am a "plan ahead" type of girl and really need to get on a schedule as soon as possible. I am soooo not on one now.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Caitlin
On the Board

Caitlin is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure you'll do awesome! Just trick your mind into thinking it's like a big jig saw puzzle and you have fit all the pieces together to make it fit.

I'm assuming your daughter's in daycare...to help out during the week for lunches/dinners..here's some other tips I do to optimize time:

Breakfast:

Make big batch of pancakes on Sundays...extra pancakes for the week and put into single serving sizes into clear sandwich bags. Put all servings in a zip lock bag in the fridge. Take out in the morning, nuke for 25-35 sec each side and tada! Breakfast....she can eat while you put on make up. (safer than in the car!)

Snacks:
Make jello in the little glad lock containers. 1 pkg usually fills 4-5 containers. Great for lunches.

Make/buy cookies: bag by individual servings. Toss in lunch box. (can do with crackers, etc. too)

Lunch
Grilled cheese sandwiches: When my son was in daycare they would heat up his lunch if I asked. I used to make about 5 grilled cheese sandwiches and stick them in the freezer/fridge for lunches. (Bag individually.)

Bagel pizza's work well too...make only 2 servings ahead of time though...don't weather too well in the fridge.

Dinners:

Peel spuds or veggies night before and put in pan covered w/ water and place in fridge. When you get home, stick on stove and 1 less thing to do for dinner.

Stir fry is awesome time saver too...in some markets you can even ask them to cut down your cut of meat into stir fry pieces (and not have to pay for it or have to do it yourself).

Make spaghetti sauce and meatballs. I have to admit I don't do this, my mom does. But about 1 x per month she will make a tub of sauce and a lb of meatballs. She bags and stores the sauce/meatballs/sausage in containers (if you put it in a bag first it won't stain container). For a quick supper, just take out as much as needed, nuke, eat.

If I think of anything else, I'll forward. Hope that helps and I didn't create another novel....(again)

Take care and keep smiling!
Caitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
paulj_in_phx
Back From the Dead..Sorta

paulj_in_phx is a splendid one to beholdpaulj_in_phx is a splendid one to behold

Thank caitlin. I'm sitting her popping M&Ms (peanut) cause I dont have time to make me something to eat...and I"M HUNGRY!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! ....whoa...that was my stomach.

paulj_in_phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
smshybug

Thanks Caitlin. Those are some great ideas!

Paul, you work at home for crying out loud. Make somethinG!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
hi
Parent on Board

hi is an unknown quantity at this point

it is always so hard balancing life as a single parent and school. I think the biggest thing is to accept help when it is offered.

I try to study when tobi is napping or sleeping, but that wasn't enough so i would sit outside with him and let him play while i slaved through my books. I bought him a toy laptop so that he could sit beside me and "be just like mommy"

Finding your routine is the best tool. But with dealing with the emotional change and (for me at least) the lack of time my son gets with me when school is in... I just remind myself constantly.. this in an investment for BOTH of us. And you've just got to power through it.

Good luck!
hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

Dawn Butterfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! Glad I saw this thread, the advice here are also a big help to me... Come September, I'll be going back to work and might continue my night classes too. I'm not yet anxious since I've more than a month to prepare, but I'm still thinking whether I'll continue my night classes in September or wait out another semester until I have adjusted to my schedule as a working mom.

Anyway, Sarah, let me know how your life goes balancing mommy duties with work and school. I'd like to know how you'll survive so I can do the same. LOL

Dawn Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
trishl
Parent on Board

trishl is an unknown quantity at this point

Dawn Butterfly, You've probably said before but I can't remember,what are you going to school for in september?
trishl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

Thanks Gen! I'd appreciate that.

trishl, I'm taking my MBA... I just stopped when I found out I was pregnant. I only need to finish one more subject then I'll take the comprehensive exam to earn my degree. I'm still debating whether I'll take it in September or wait another term since Ian is still small. But each semester that I skip means I have to pay residency fees so I will still be considered enrolled.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
raymond
Parent on Board

raymond is an unknown quantity at this point

i was up all night studying for a urine test
Old 08-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
smshybug

LMAO Raymond! That's hilarious.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #13
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

LOL raymond... dont worry, in urine tests there is no "pass or fail"... only "pass water". LOL

Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
raymond
Parent on Board

raymond is an unknown quantity at this point

DAWN YOU MINX I CANT GET NOTHING PAST YOU....IAN IN SCOTLAND IS JOHN
Old 08-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #15
smshybug

Okay so going to pick up my books on Friday. I am seriously procrastinating and need to get out of it. Last night I had a little too much anxiety trying to think of how to put my schedule together and trying comprehend how the **** I'm going to keep everything sane while I'm going to school. Once I start, I have to keep going until I finish my degree.

This weekend should help me refresh though. Hopefully! hehe
Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 AM   #16
smshybug

Okay, I'm not freaking out yet but it hasn't even been a week. So far I'm juggling things rather well. Let's hope it continues that way.