Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
alexmichele07
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Spanish as a second language

I'm wanting to learn Spanish. So that I can actually speak it. I've had so many instances where it would have been very helpful for me to know Spanish, and I've always wanted to pick it back up again, anyway. We have a pretty significant Spanish speaking population here in the middle of my cornfield.

I took 2 years of Spanish a few years ago in high school...

Ok... so it was a little more than a few years ago...

Anyway, I want to do some work on my own prior to actually enrolling in any college classes, just as a refresher. I caught on pretty quickly, but I've since forgotten most of it. I don't think it would be difficult to get it to come back to me.

Has anyone had any experience with any online resources, books, books on tape (or CD, or iPod, or whatever)... anything that was actually helpful? Like Rosetta Stone? Or anything similar? I know a language is something that is best learned by 'doing' rather than by reading, but all I'm hoping is that I can get the basics back so I can at least get into a second level class and feel comfortable in it rather than starting all over from the beginning.
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
comingup4air
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Re: Spanish as a second language

I got NOTHING, AM.......but I wanted to say I thought it was great you wanted to learn Spanish. Knowing any second language is helpful and also gets you JOBS!!!
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
idig
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

The secretary at my office speaks and writes and is working on improving her skills. I'll ask her when I get to work and see if she has any suggestions.

Sure as night will follow day. Most things I worry about. Never happen anyway. ~ Tom Petty
idig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Bluemoon
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Move to Miami! JK. That was probably in poor taste, just that I grew up there and watched the place transform before my eyes. Sorry to any Cubans out there.
I really have no idea other than what you have said...hang with someone who knows the language and use it...like a child learning to speak. Whenever you have a thought in your head, or see an object, make yourself say it in Spanish. IDK. Goodluck!
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
idig
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

I asked our secretary. She is supposed to get me the name of some workbooks she uses that have helped her tremendously. I'll post the name when she gets it. She also often plays a CD while she works that says the English word and then the Spanish word to keep her fresh. Just something she picked up at a yard sale she said. It is just the repetition that helps her.

We have an agent in Mexico who helps her a lot. They correspond in both English and Spanish. Maybe you have someone like that who could help you too?

Sure as night will follow day. Most things I worry about. Never happen anyway. ~ Tom Petty
Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Bluemoon
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Look up "Idig" in the dictionary. It says: "incredibly resourceful person." OK, it's the Blue dictionary, but still...
Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
comingup4air

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmom View Post
Look up "Idig" in the dictionary. It says: "incredibly resourceful person." OK, it's the Blue dictionary, but still...
Aw Blue....very cute.

SO, AM....como esta? Mi llamo comingup4air. Y tu?

I took 4 years in high school and 2 in college. Been a LONG time. But, I would love to refresh, too!! Not in an official go-to-class kinda way....

We should start a thread that is only in Spanish and can only be ANSWERED in Spanish. Then, in having to look up the words and the words to answer it, it would help you learn!! Just throwing ideas out there.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Bluemoon
just an old hippie chick

<<<<Ok, I just love this guy, such a belly laugh (watch, he won't show here).
Growing up in Miami area, us kids only learned the curse words...so, I could probably not respond much to such a thread, . Cunyo! (We didn't learn to spell them!)
BTW: In spanish I am salad dressing...Catalina.
Just call me Tater...Tater Salad.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

[QUOTE=comingup4air;162532]

SO, AM....como esta? Mi llamo comingup4air. Y tu?

I know this much, you just said " So, AM...how are you? My name is commingup4air. You, too? Man oh man, I love this place!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
comingup4air

Almost, Blue....not You, too? but, and you? Very close. Just symatics, really.
Yea...this place rocks. Like....ROCKY AND BLUE! Wait a minute....those are STRIPPER names. Now....BD has to look at this thread. It's about his favorite thing....STRIPPERS!

Come mierda y muerta!!!

Anyone guessing on that one?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Bluemoon
just an old hippie chick

Well, difference between true Spanish and Cuban <<<(Blue trying saving face, )
Like Que, can be why or because...though actually because is por'que.
No idea what that last one you said was, though I know I oughta know the meride part. I think it means the same thing as cunyo (I just don't know how to put the squiggly thing on top.)
How about this... Yo comprendo umpoquito espanol, solomante.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Muy umpoquito!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
comingup4air

Quote:
Yo comprendo umpoquito espanol, solomante.

I only understand a little Spanish.

Man.....I'm good.

Well, the other sentence I wrote was...(fill in the blanks)

Eat SH_T and Die.

I remember that one and also how to ask where's the bathroom. Donde esta el bano?

Granted, my spelling is probably wrong some.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Bluemoon
just an old hippie chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingup4air View Post
I only understand a little Spanish.

Man.....I'm good.

Well, the other sentence I wrote was...(fill in the blanks)

Eat SH_T and Die.

I remember that one and also how to ask where's the bathroom. Donde esta el bano?

Granted, my spelling is probably wrong some.
Absol'emente' (absolutely...quessing there), me amiga. And I knew I had the "Sh_t" part right, can't believe I forgot the merde' part. So many brain cells gone...
Had you asked me for the potty I would have got it...but if I had to ask I would have had to pee my britches, .
Gotta thank AM...didn't mean to go off on your thread...but what fun!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
idig
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Quote:
Awww, shucks. Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
alexmichele07
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Well now that this thread has pretty much gone down the potty... maybe mom should move it to the lounge?

Here's what I think I'm going to go with...

The Berlitz program is very inexpensive. Compared to the Rosetta Stone especially. (Seriously... google them... it's insane!) I'll probably get the Berlitz for myself. The kid's version of it, though, doesn't seem very impressive. I like the looks of the Power Speak program for kids and it has different programs for different age groups. They offer one week worth of classes for free, so I signed up for that and I'll sit down with DD at the computer tonight and see what it's like. (She's almost 6) They also emailed me a code for 15% off my first purchase, which would make the first program - 1 semester of Spanish for K-6 - $85 plus shipping. Not bad at all. It looks like fun and would probably help both of us, though I intend to get an adult program for myself too. So all in all, right around $150 or a little more for 2 complete programs. I can live with that!

Ok... you can get back to your potty talk now if you like.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
comingup4air

Nothin' wrong with a little potty talk on a Monday morning. Plus, we used Spanish, which was mentioned in the original post.....so I think we're good.

Hasta la Vista, nina!!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
Bluemoon
just an old hippie chick

Hasta Luego, me amiga's y amigo's. Mucho.....errr. Gee. I love you all.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Lo see a meeo!!!!!! Gee, like I'm looking for the cat......
Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #17
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I know the military uses Rosetta Stone. Honestly, the best way is imersion. So, get a basic program and then surround yourself with Spanish speaking people. I did this. When I worked for my mom, we had a lot of spanish speaking clients. I instructed them to only speak spanish to me for the first several minutes. They had a BLAST doing this because usually it is them getting corrected. My spanish improved GREATLY when this happaned.

I have looked into Rosetta Stone because if you work at it, you can learn FAST. I think once I pass the bar, I am going to buy online subscriptions. I really want to learn to speak Chinese. I speak Spanish Okay conversationally, and can read it like nobody's business.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #18
alexmichele07
Sparkles & Glitter

DD and I sat down at the computer last night after DS went to bed and did the first day's lesson of the Power Speak program's free one-week trial. She really enjoyed it. It has vocabulary with pictures, and alot of little games and activities. The first part of the lesson was a story, read in English. Then read again later in the lesson substituting a few of the words for Spanish. The Spanish words I can remember off the top of my head that were thrown into the story were amigos (friends), mano (hand), tigre (tiger), oso (bear), rata (rat), nino (boy), nina (girl), uno, dos, tres (1, 2, 3)... there were a couple more, but I don't remember them off the top of my head. She was able to figure out what each of the Spanish words meant right away though. Then each lesson, more Spanish words will be introduced into the story.

Then I found these Kids Love Spanish DVD's on Costco's website. Not a bad deal for less than $9 a DVD. And I'm sure it would even be beneficial for DS too. He's only 11 months old, so I don't exactly plop him in front of the TV yet, but even as background noise. The younger they are, the easier it is to teach them!

So my original intent was to find a program for myself... but now I'm getting all excited about the kids' programs! (I'm still going to buy the Berlitz program for myself, though.)

I'm sure the Rosetta Stone program is great... but is way more expensive than I thought it was. So I'll see how it goes with Berlitz first, and go from there.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
sara1
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

This may sound a bit cheesy but my kids are learning spanish from Dora, the books, we dont watch TV
sara1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #20
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1 View Post
This may sound a bit cheesy but my kids are learning spanish from Dora, the books, we dont watch TV
Not at all. My daughter learned to count to 20 and all the colors in Spanish. Also various animal names and verbs. She still remembers it.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #21
sara1
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

My monkeys make me say goodnight and I love you in spanish every night at bedtime.
sara1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #22
Moosey
Board Blazen Parent

Moosey has a brilliant futureMoosey has a brilliant futureMoosey has a brilliant future

If you want to actually speak spanish, not just know it, then the only way is to use it. If you don't have friends who speak spanish that you can immerse with, another option is to chat with people in spanish. There are websites strictly for that purpose, like italki.com where you can find pen pals / chat partners in any language.
Moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #23
sara1
Setting New Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
If you want to actually speak spanish, not just know it, then the only way is to use it. If you don't have friends who speak spanish that you can immerse with, another option is to chat with people in spanish. There are websites strictly for that purpose, like italki.com where you can find pen pals / chat partners in any language.
That is really cool. I have never heard of that. Man you can find anything online!
Old 08-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #24
FamRox8
Learning to Surf The Board

FamRox8 is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually wouldn't mind learning a second language just for fun. I was thinking of getting one of those "Spanish for Dummies" books. Does anyone have any experience with those? There is another software you can get as a CD-Rom and it will teach you Spanish and other languages. Forgot the name of it.
FamRox8 is offline   Reply With Quote