Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
momofTDR
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Help! Opinions needed...advice, support

Ok. I'm in a pickle. Background. The class I'm referring to is AutoCad related. We were all working on a drawing. The program we are using is new and no one really knows how to use it too much. So, we were working on this drawing for a materials testing class. We all helped each other out. We all shared ideas. The program is dynamic so it does about 80% of the drawing by itself. ANYHOW!

Today during one of my finals (in a different class), I had the teacher of said class toss my drawing on my desk. Had a sticky note that it was No credit given because it was copied off someone else's drawing. This ticks me off! There were many things in the drawings from one person to another that would be different, and many things that will be the same. Some of the similarities between hers and mine are also similarities between hers and another kids. Some parts of everyones drawings are exactly the same. We all shared the table that one kid made and a few other small things. Anyhow. It wasn't copied. In fact, when I went for an example when I was working on mine, I opened another persons drawing to reference it. I stayed till 7:15 that night working on that stupid drawing.

Now, I'm tossed. Should I try to fight it. He has not been the easiest person to work with in the past and I am so livid and angry I don't know that I would handle it with the best tact at this point. If I let it go, it's probably about a 5% grade drop, but there is also the thing that he's already formed his opinion and he'll likely discredit me from here on out, rather I fight it and win or not. I just don't know what to do. I don't handle confrontation well at all because of my marriage. I don't even know if I can approach him. Right now, I just want to run. I hate the lasting effects of some of my past.
momofTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
AamyluvroN
Lively & Zealous Parent

AamyluvroN has a brilliant futureAamyluvroN has a brilliant futureAamyluvroN has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help! Opinions needed...advice, supp

I am confused. Do you tell the program ideas and it creates the drawing for you? is that what you meant when you stated it creates 80% of the drawing?
AamyluvroN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
momofTDR
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

It is dynamic. When you input the information in on the first page, and create the following pages which are say for example a road broken up into pieces that fit on each page scaled nicely to see stuff, the program creates those pages. You can modify them a little, but the more modifications you make, the more chance of it being messed up.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Mommyofone
Lively & Zealous Parent

Mommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant future

have you been able to compare it to the other drawing. I know Autocad and used it for several years and do u know which one he claims you copied and if yes were u able to see it to compare... i know measurements and even errors can prove it wasnt copied. My teacher would throw things in the example files so she would know we didnt get it and modify it.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
momofTDR
Marja

We don't get example files...just predrawn stuff printed...which wasn't even drawn in Civil 3D, it was drawn in LDD. Anyhow. The girl who he claims I copied off of, have some similarities, and some differences. When we drew some of the "soil" designs we did them together so they are the same. The table that CAD put in was all messed up, so one of the guys made one and sent the block to everyone else. EVERYONE used the same table. My road was in a completely different spot, I took out the outlines to the viewports, she left them....our colors were different for some things, same for some others. If I had to guess I'd say about half of our drawings were very similar and the other half was very different. Some of the things he said were "copied" were the same on hers, mine, and two other peoples that we looked at. It was the program that did certain things like making tick marks on profile grids red. I'm just really frustrated, and I don't think I can handle it right now.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
idig
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

I am sorry, I have zero experience with professors and school stuff. My inclination is to tell you to contact him and tell him you do not understand the grade and discuss it woth him, but I have no idea what the atmosphere at a college is like in a case like this. I never had anything like that happen.

Sorry, hopefully someone whose dealt with something like this will chime in.

Sure as night will follow day. Most things I worry about. Never happen anyway. ~ Tom Petty
idig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
momofTDR
Marja

Thanks....I'm at a loss right now. I'm pretty sure unless he says anything else, I am just going to let it go. It is not worth the mental breakdown issues that I will certainly have if I approach him. He's the kind of professor when one of the kids missed one day for the birth of his first baby, he still docked him 10% for taking a quiz a day late.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
idig
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

How big a deal is a 5% loss on your grade? If it isn't worth it, just let it go. However, it is a something you need to face so you know you can that is something else. Only you know the situation...

Sure as night will follow day. Most things I worry about. Never happen anyway. ~ Tom Petty
idig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I'd fight it. I had this happen in undergrad at the community college I went to for my general education classes. My science teacher accused me and my best friend of cheating and gave us no credit and was quite rude about it. He had told us we could collaberate, but had to do all of our own work. We did. We took it to the grievance board at the school. For me it was the principle of thing..... basically it is saying you cheated and that is a SERIOUS thing for your academic records.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
wanderphx
Board Member

wanderphx is a splendid one to beholdwanderphx is a splendid one to behold

I would just be professional, confront the teacher and explain the situation. If the instructor can not be reasoned with then take it to the school, and worst case drop the class.

I wouldn't want to spend a semester working with someone that couldn't be professional. Keep in mind to try to not take it personal and try to get the instructors perspective before jumping to conclusions.
wanderphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Jamie's_Mum
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

Well i dont really know anything about this kind of stuff however if you feel like this may affect your future work then you need to speak up. Getting it off your chest would probably make you feel better and you can focus more.