Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 06-10-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
SoGaNurse
I am New

SoGaNurse is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a book full of scholorship information. If you are interested in some then please let me know where you live and what you are majoring in. I'll look it up for you and let you know!

Melissa
SoGaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
bear
Parent on Board

bear is an unknown quantity at this point

thats so great for you to do this!! i am not sure or not 100% what im going to go back to school for or when. but its wonderful to have someone help you out on scholarships. i know it gets frustrating when you add up all the money you need!

[qb]I bought a book full of scholorship information. If you are interested in some then please let me know where you live and what you are majoring in. I'll look it up for you and let you know!

Melissa [/qb][/QUOTE]
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
Dream02907
I am New

Dream02907 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Melissa,
I would like to go back to school for technology. I currently work in the field but need to get my certifications and as a single mom of 3 wonderful monsters I just can't afford it. I live in that lil' spot on the map known as RI and being that we are a small state resources seem limited. I'd appreciate any information u may provide.
Thanks,
Maria
Dream02907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #4
Star
I am New

Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Melissa, I am a nursing student and am getting on here today looking for more assistance. That's really cool you want to share.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:50 PM   #5
ChloesMom
I am New

ChloesMom is an unknown quantity at this point

This is so nic of you! I am in Florida and I am taking my prereq's to become a RN. I will be going full time in January and have no idea how I will make ends meet. Anything in there for Florida and single mom with no child support? What is the name of the book? Thanks again for sharing!!
ChloesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:18 PM   #6
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Gabriel's Mom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! that is very nice of you to share. I live in fort worth texas and I'm going back to school in the fall for either web design or massage therapy, i'm undecided right now. If you can find anything, I'd love ya forever. It's so stressful not knowing how i'm going to pay for school.

Amy
Gabriel's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
YoungMomOf3
I am New

YoungMomOf3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for sharing. I feel like i am about to lose my mind. I am 22 years old. I had my first chlid at 17, second at 18, and third at 19. My two oldest are by my high school "sweetheart" who i left because he was abusive. My youngest is by a man i married a year after i left my ex who seemed wonderful at the time, but eventually he was a scumball too. I left him after he hit my son. So now i am on my own with the kids trying to finish college. Until a week ago i was working full-time as well as going to school full time. (mostly internet classes available through the local community college so i could still cook dinner and spend time with the kids). Anyhow, for the first time in five years, child support enforcement managed to get some money out of my ex. about 500 dollars. Well, i was getting day care assistance through the state, but then they said that that money put me over the income limit, so now i have no job at all. (they also cut my food stamps and medicaid, and now say that since i voluntarily quit i am still not eligible) With all three children to young for pubilc schools, and the cost of daycare, i just cannot find a job that pays enough to pay the daycare and then have money left over. I was hoping there is some kind of grant that can help me pay the bills while i attend school. I have no family in the immediate area except my father, but he is a double leg amputee from diabetes. so he cant really watch the kids while i work. I need help really bad! I am in income based housing, but my only vehicle is 400 a month (even though it is a 1998 windstar...tis what you get when youre young and no credit). I dont know what else to do.

Quote:
Originally posted by SoGaNurse:
[qb]I bought a book full of scholorship information. If you are interested in some then please let me know where you live and what you are majoring in. I'll look it up for you and let you know!

Melissa [/qb]
YoungMomOf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
YoungMomOf3
I am New

YoungMomOf3 is an unknown quantity at this point

p.s. i am in missouri and my gpa is 3.5 majoring in criminal justice.

Quote:
Originally posted by YoungMomOf3:
[qb]Thank you so much for sharing. I feel like i am about to lose my mind. I am 22 years old. I had my first chlid at 17, second at 18, and third at 19. My two oldest are by my high school "sweetheart" who i left because he was abusive. My youngest is by a man i married a year after i left my ex who seemed wonderful at the time, but eventually he was a scumball too. I left him after he hit my son. So now i am on my own with the kids trying to finish college. Until a week ago i was working full-time as well as going to school full time. (mostly internet classes available through the local community college so i could still cook dinner and spend time with the kids). Anyhow, for the first time in five years, child support enforcement managed to get some money out of my ex. about 500 dollars. Well, i was getting day care assistance through the state, but then they said that that money put me over the income limit, so now i have no job at all. (they also cut my food stamps and medicaid, and now say that since i voluntarily quit i am still not eligible) With all three children to young for pubilc schools, and the cost of daycare, i just cannot find a job that pays enough to pay the daycare and then have money left over. I was hoping there is some kind of grant that can help me pay the bills while i attend school. I have no family in the immediate area except my father, but he is a double leg amputee from diabetes. so he cant really watch the kids while i work. I need help really bad! I am in income based housing, but my only vehicle is 400 a month (even though it is a 1998 windstar...tis what you get when youre young and no credit). I dont know what else to do.

[/qb]
YoungMomOf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:32 PM   #9
SoGaNurse
I am New

hey, give me a few days on your's. this book is so strange but i'm trying to get as much info in one post as possible. i haven't given up on you though! i'll probably send you a private message ok?

Melissa

Quote:
[qb]p.s. i am in missouri and my gpa is 3.5 majoring in criminal justice.

[/qb]
Old 06-18-2004, 11:45 PM   #10
Azealeah79
I am New

Azealeah79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou so much Melissa! You could be the answer to my prayers! I would like to go back to school for nursing if you have any info on scholarships for single moms or any at all please email me! Thanks so much for sharing!
Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
Azealeah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:09 AM   #11
Thinker
Lively & Zealous Parent

Thinker is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't mind sharing...What is the name of the book that you bought, and where did you buy that?? I am curious if that is the same one they keep at the library that you are not allowed to check out.
Thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 06:45 AM   #12
SoGaNurse
I am New

The name of the book is {i}The Scholarship Book 2003 The Complete Guide to Private-Sector Scholarships, Fellowships, Grants, and Loans for the Undergraduate[/i]. I would not recommend buying this book. I did not find a single scholarship that I could use. The book is huge and the scholarships are so exact on who can use it and what school they can go to. I mean right down to the county in which you live. That's why I am telling people that I will use mine to help them.

Quote:
Originally posted by THINKER:
[qb]If you don't mind sharing...What is the name of the book that you bought, and where did you buy that?? I am curious if that is the same one they keep at the library that you are not allowed to check out.[/qb]
Old 06-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #13
lilfarmacist
I am New

lilfarmacist is an unknown quantity at this point

Melissa, Thanks for providing this information to other single parents. I am currently a pharmacy student and I am spending much of my summer looking for scholarship opportunities. I would appreciate any information you can provide to me!! Thanks.
lilfarmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:47 PM   #14
AUSTINMOM
I am New

AUSTINMOM is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
[qb]Thank you so much for sharing. I feel like i am about to lose my mind. I am 22 years old.

[/qb]
im in the same situation as you, though I don't live in assisted housing. I have no family here, I live alone. My father is an alcoholic who has his own problems, My mother lives 4 hours from here with her boyfriend. i love my job but am stressed that all my money goes to bills, rent, car, food, and most of all daycare. I am not on any assistance at all, I don't qualify for foodstamps, medicaid, child care assistance(at least I don't know if I qualify for day care assistance because at this point the waiting list is indefinite. I have been on the waiting list for 2 years.) I have 2 kids 3 and 5 both boys. I pay full daycare for the three year old and after school care for the other. I don't really have any friends here in Austin, TX since I'm not from here. I'm 22 years old and mostly everyone
in my workplace is over 30 and married so don't really hang out with any of them . I have thought about quitting my great job that i love and going to live with my mother, like all the other single parents I know. Over there I can go to school and live off foodstamp,welfare. But after working for so long and being independent that is really hard to do. I have all my friends that i grew up with overthere, but I don't think she really wants me there. I have no one to leave the kids with even to go grocery shopping, walking, or to WAl-Mart. I take them everywhere, I love them so much and am trying my best to give them, what they need. It is so hard. I am looking for some kind of support group in Austin, Tx. If anyone live in Austin and wants to hang out emil me november-mg*excite.***
AUSTINMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:13 PM   #15
judeeinaz
I am New

judeeinaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
i am very interest any and all mother of 3
* 33 going to school for the first attempt at a degree jude in az
judeeinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:37 PM   #16
KERI YOUNG
I am New

KERI YOUNG is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by bear:
[qb]thats so great for you to do this!! i am not sure or not 100% what im going to go back to school for or when. but its wonderful to have someone help you out on scholarships. i know it gets frustrating when you add up all the money you need!

Melissa [/qb]
[/QB][/QUOTE]

null
KERI YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:22 AM   #17
kryan
I am New

kryan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
kryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:23 AM   #18
kryan
I am New

kryan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there I am interested in getting some information from you. I am going back to school to get my ASN or BSN if you can help that would be great. Thanks
kryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:20 PM   #19
alaskamegan
I am New

alaskamegan is an unknown quantity at this point

[Melissa - Hi I llive in Alaska with my 3 school aged babies and really want to return to college and earn a degree.. I speak spanish as a second language. Can you give me any tips? Thank you
alaskamegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #20
Mike Musician
I am New

Mike Musician is an unknown quantity at this point

I was hoping you might look under Palm Beach County Florida. I am a single Dad who will going back to school the same year my son will be goin to school...right now the cost is about $80,000. Will be studying Musical Theater.

Thank you very much---very nice of you to offer this!

Mike
Mike Musician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:38 PM   #21
All4Mine
Active Board Parent

All4Mine is an unknown quantity at this point

Riverside, CA (County of Riverside), will be studying Psychology. I wish I could go fulltime. There are so many programs for low income families, however I'd have to quit my job, collect food stamps, sell my car, who the heck knows....You're either making too much, not enough, or nothing...

Thanking you in advance for any assistance with this....
All4Mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:34 AM   #22
sages_momma
I am New

sages_momma is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! My name is Dusti and I live in Council Bluffs, Ia majoring in Literature. My college told me there was nothing for me since I can't do leadership activities(having no one to watch my son) this makes my life difficult. My GPA is 3.75 I think what your doing is AWSOME! Thanks!
sages_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:32 PM   #23
danidlor
I am New

danidlor is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going back to school to get my bachelors in accounting, I have been looking everywhere for some scholorships, are there any in your book for me? I am in Colorado.
Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
danidlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #24
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by AUSTINMOM:
[qb]
im in the same situation as you, though I don't live in assisted housing. I have no family here, I live alone. My father is an alcoholic who has his own problems, My mother lives 4 hours from here with her boyfriend. i love my job but am stressed that all my money goes to bills, rent, car, food, and most of all daycare. I am not on any assistance at all, I don't qualify for foodstamps, medicaid, child care assistance(at least I don't know if I qualify for day care assistance because at this point the waiting list is indefinite. I have been on the waiting list for 2 years.) I have 2 kids 3 and 5 both boys. I pay full daycare for the three year old and after school care for the other. I don't really have any friends here in Austin, TX since I'm not from here. I'm 22 years old and mostly everyone
in my workplace is over 30 and married so don't really hang out with any of them . I have thought about quitting my great job that i love and going to live with my mother, like all the other single parents I know. Over there I can go to school and live off foodstamp,welfare. But after working for so long and being independent that is really hard to do. I have all my friends that i grew up with overthere, but I don't think she really wants me there. I have no one to leave the kids with even to go grocery shopping, walking, or to WAl-Mart. I take them everywhere, I love them so much and am trying my best to give them, what they need. It is so hard. I am looking for some kind of support group in Austin, Tx. If anyone live in Austin and wants to hang out emil me november-mg*excite.***[/qb]
I live in SA that's not too far if you don't know anyone out there.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:36 PM   #25
Betzy
I am New

Betzy is an unknown quantity at this point

i WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME INFO FOR A CRIMINAL jUSTICE DEGREE OR PARALEGA/LAW SCHOLARSHIPS.
i AM 36 YEARS OLD, HAVE FOUR CHIDLREN AND AM PUERTO RICAN.
i HAVE BEEN SINGLE SINCE oCTOBER 2003 AND HAVE BEEN DIVORCED SINCE MARCH 2004.
pLEASE SEND INFO IF YOU CAN. i REALLY WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND GET MY DEGREE. i DO HAVE SOME COLLEGE, JUST 12 HOURS.
tHANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE, BETZY
Betzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:30 AM   #26
JackieM
Learning to Surf The Board

JackieM is an unknown quantity at this point

Melissa, can I ask what the name of the book is? I'd be interested in picking up a copy for myself. Thanks!
JackieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:49 PM   #27
Lovebug
Board Member

Lovebug is an unknown quantity at this point

That is really sweet for you to look up information for everyone. IF you still have time I live in Illinois and I am going to school for elementary education. If you find any scholarships let me know.
Lovebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:49 PM   #28
Lovebug
Board Member

Lovebug is an unknown quantity at this point

That is really sweet for you to look up information for everyone. IF you still have time I live in Illinois and I am going to school for elementary education. If you find any scholarships let me know.
Lovebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #29
briteeyes29
I am New

briteeyes29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
hello Melissa,
I would greatly appreciate your help in finding some funding for schooling i want to go back for cosmetology I live in Port jervis NY The school I want to attend is in Middletown NY.
briteeyes29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:30 PM   #30
texasrain
I am New

texasrain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for going this for everyone I know those books can make your eyes hurt from studing the pages. I am a 32 year old with two small children, and I am getting ready to apply for the nursing program (R.N) after I finish my last preq, I live in texas. Thank you so much for any help you can give.
texasrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:01 AM   #31
amee
Board Member

amee is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by texasrain:
[qb]Thank you so much for going this for everyone I know those books can make your eyes hurt from studing the pages. I am a 32 year old with two small children, and I am getting ready to apply for the nursing program (R.N) after I finish my last preq, I live in texas. Thank you so much for any help you can give.[/qb]
Wow you are awesome and it looks like you have your hands full of requests so if you can get to mine too great! I am going to school, starting next week hopefully, at MTSU in murfreesboro, tn. I am majoring in fashion merchandising. Any info would help me out. Thanks.
amee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:17 AM   #32
Janai
I am New

Janai is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank GOD!!! I am so happy that I'm crying. I am so happy for even a glimmer of hope in help. I have spent days and days looking for scholarships and grants or any kind of help at all. I am seeking to get my degree in Massage Therapy in Charleston, SC. School starts soon, so time is of the essence. I will be leaving GA this week - going somewhere. Hopefully family in SC will take us in. Either way we have to leave our home in the next few days. Circumstances are forcing us out of our home. No job, finances, child support, food stamps, or family in this state makes our situation almost unbearable. Thank you, thank you, thank you and God bless you for your care for others.

Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
Janai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 12:23 AM   #33
Jennifer21
I am New

Jennifer21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
[qb] I bought a book full of scholorship information. If you are interested in some then please let me know where you live and what you are majoring in. I'll look it up for you and let you know!

Melissa [/qb]
I want to go to major in nursing and minor in education. Any info you could give me would be a huge help!!!
Jennifer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:33 PM   #34
emtbacicgirl
I am New

emtbacicgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
[qb] I bought a book full of scholorship information. If you are interested in some then please let me know where you live and what you are majoring in. I'll look it up for you and let you know!

Melissa [/qb]
emtbacicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:40 PM   #35
emtbacicgirl
I am New

emtbacicgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I think that it is great of to help out others i seen that you had alot of request so if you can't get to mine it is ok i understand completely. i live in a tri-state area of southeast arkansas and i am in school right now trying to get my paramedic the cost is outragous. a few thousands more than it was in getting my basic certificate. if you could find anything that could help it would greatly be appreiated thank-you very much
emtbacicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 01:15 PM   #36
rices
I am New

rices is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
rices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 01:16 PM   #37
rices
I am New

rices is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in Greensboro, North Carolina area and I'm majoring in Business Administration and Finance.
Thanks in advance for the info.

Sylvia
rices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:15 PM   #38
Deanna1
I am New

Deanna1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
I live in Cape Coral, Florida. Can you please give mesome scholorship information? I am working towards my Associate degree in Medical Assisting. Thank You.

Deanna
Deanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #39
amandamoo21
I am New

amandamoo21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi melissa,I live in washington and I would like to go into nursing. Do you know of any scholorships that could help me out?
amandamoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 01:45 PM   #40
sherava
I am New

sherava is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
sherava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 01:46 PM   #41
sherava
I am New

sherava is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
Hi just interested in scholarships for physician assistant programs in washington, DC area
sherava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:03 AM   #42
Jenny Jones
I am New

Jenny Jones is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
Jenny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:05 AM   #43
Jenny Jones
I am New

Jenny Jones is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in Idaho and need scholarship information for Associates of Arts in Business Administration. Thanks
Jenny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:45 PM   #44
Pockettz
Parent on Board

Pockettz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there

Is there any information for Canadians in the book? Do you know if there is a book for Canadians?

Going into Bachelor of Arts with Major in Psychology.. I want to eventually get my doctorate in psychology.

Krystal
Pockettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:43 PM   #45
dlb323
I am New

dlb323 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Melissa [/qb]
dlb323 is offline   Reply With Quote