Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Help getting son to sleep in his own bed - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Attachment Parenting

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
SingleMom123 Female
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant future
Default Help getting son to sleep in his own bed

Okay, that is it! I have had it! He wet the bed last night, of course I don't have a mattress protector on my bed, and it was a BIG wet too. I dabbed it up with a towel as best I could, sprayed carpet cleaner all over it, then dabbed that up, then put baking soda all over it and will let it dry....

My son is 3 1/2, has been co-sleeping since he was born. But the last few months I have been wanting to get him into his own bed. He kicks me, slaps me, and wakes me up. I am tired of it. And wetting the bed last night was the last straw. A week ago we moved into this house, I bought my first house, and got one with three bedrooms, and made sure that his bedroom would be right next to mine. I bought him a bed, some furniture and bedding and made his room really cool. He has toys in there, and I thought he would love it. But no, he still wanted to sleep with me.

So I said, okay, because the place is new maybe he needs some time to adjust. So I let him sleep in my bed. But now it has been a week, and he seems like he has adjusted to the new house. He seems to really like having his own bedroom, spends time in there palying with toys, but won't sleep in there. I got a nice nightlight and everything.

So this morning when I saw he wet MY bed I got made, and am now determined that he won't sleep in my bed any more. But when tonight comes, how will I get him to actually sleep in his own bed?
SingleMom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Help getting son to sleep in his own

Is he all potty trained and good to go with that? You've got to really build him up for it. I wouldn't do it tonight. I 'd talk to him about it, how big boys sleep in their room. Maybe let him pick something out for his room. Get one of those paper chains and count down to when he gets to sleep in his room like a big boy! I'd go as far as making a little success chart and put a little reward on the end of it (nothing much) give him a sticker for every night he falls to sleep there.
'
Now you may need to hang out in his room while he falls to sleep there at first. Then slowly move yourself out a bit. I know parents who put a chair by the bed and read a book to themselves while child fell to sleep. Then each night or two moved the chair a bit further from the bed until they were outside of the door. You get the drift.

Just build it up and then really plunge into it and be ready to commit to it!

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

There were several sleepless nights here where I waited for them and moved them back to their beds. They were such hard headed little twerps too! But I kept moving them back...several times a night. They would crawl into mine (or at one point "ours") and I'd let them get to sleep, then move them and hopefully not wake them.
My youngest still crawls in but mostly it's just before it's time to get up anyway so no big deal.
Rewards are a great incentive!
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
SingleMom123 Female
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant future

Update - It is 2 months later.......my son is still in my bed.......I bought a waterproof mattress for my bed.....

My problem: I am not an assertive person at all. Actually that effects me in more then just motherhood, it also affects my job. But he hasn't wet the bed for a long time now, and I have the protector, and I love to cuddle with him. Maybe when he is four I will try again....
Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Hun, you need to get assertive or that little man will run all over you. How can you hope to parent him in his teens if you can't do it now?????? To me, the sleep in your bed thing requires some outstubborning moments.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
supermommy Female
Parent on Board

supermommy has much to be proud ofsupermommy has much to be proud of

I agree, tough love is required ASAP.

I was in the same boat, after the breakup I think I liked my daughter sleeping in my bed more than she did. But the kicking and waking me up started to get to me so I tried moving her to her own bed. I tried everything, rewards, laying with her in her bed til she fell asleep, letting her keep her light on, I can't even remember all the things I tried unsuccessfully. That's when I realized how attached she was to sleeping with me and how if I didn't continue the tough love it was only going to get harder to correct later on.

We are doing MUCH better now (over a year into it) but it is still a struggle sometimes and we still have nights where she cries and gets up and I have to keep putting her back in her bed and it is stressful but I am not about to give in now. To LSL's point...I am determined to be more stubborn than her!
supermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
SingleMom123 Female
Board Blazen Parent

LOL! Update, 1.5 years later! My son still sleeps in my bed, about 50% of the time.

I tried everything and up to about a month ago I just had given up and he was sleeping with me. But then I got a hair, and built him a bunk bed. I let him pick the paint color. I let him help by holding the boards in place while I drill in the screws. I am pretty proud of myself, it is a really nice bunk bed. I followed this plan:
http://ana-white.com/2012/07/plans/c...-junior-height

It is just like this but a little taller, no stairs and black. My son loves it. He always wants me to come to bed with HIM! I actually do a lot, fall asleep with him (we love to cuddle) but around midnight I wake up and go back to my own bed. Then, in the morning whenever my alarm goes off, he is ALWAYS with me in my bed.....I have no idea when he crawls to bed with me, but one thing is for sure, he is sneaky about it and doesn't wake me up.

Oh well, what we do now works, I am okay with it.