Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Sleep Training...First Night Checkmark - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Attachment Parenting

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 06-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
ljeanbeans Female
On the Board

ljeanbeans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sleep Training...First Night Checkmark

So, my son turns 18 months in a week. That's not the reason I don't want to sleep with him anymore. Many nights, I love sleeping with him - he's my cuddle munkin.
He's been very active, and slaps me and...
I have to work at home because....another subject, but I want to do it anyways. I need to work while he's asleep so I can absorb what I'm trying to do.
I've been taking an hour of laying next to him and coaxing him to sleep every night, lately, before I can sneak away and get some work done. That's IF I don't fall asleep waiting.
I need him to go to sleep when I put him to bed.
I just got him a toddler bed and set it up in my room. Two hours of on and off fits and finally whispering a made up version of mocking bird to him and he feel asleep in it. Yay! I told him it was his special bed. Truth be told, it's used and pretty beat up and I want to work to afford a nicer one for him.
Now, I'm still nursing and nurse him to sleep. Not tonight. His appetite is so large it's impossible for my body to keep up and if he nurses for an hour straight nothing comes out anymore. Some days he hardly wants to eat food.
I also got a book called "To Train Up a Child"....and started reading it. I had to give up my dog while I was pregnant....but he was a squirrely American Eskimo that would sit and stay for me and I've used some of the same verbiage with my son that I did on my dog. This book essentially (tho doesn't state) that you train a child much like a dog. So, I realized my instincts were correct. I've been so traumatized and desperate that I haven't followed through with boundaries and direction until now....I've had everything I don't want him to touch out of his reach and simply physically remove him from situations and redirect him constantly. This all does not work while employed at home. Frankly, I don't think it works at all.
It feels a sad, but I cannot hack spending so much time getting him to sleep. I've been flicking him while gently saying no over and over today...so I now have the trashcan on the floor again instead of on top of the deepfreeze I have to access all the time. I flicked him to get him to stop biting me while nursing and that worked, so I'm sticking with it. He hates it. Did I mention I cloth diaper and have to hang dry all my laundry due to reactions with the dryer sheets in the community/building's dryer? I've had the drying rack in the crib so he can't pull everything off of it and tip it over. I've not got time to cater to his lack of self-control anymore.
ljeanbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Sleep Training...First Night Checkma

its late, but the first thng that came to mind was a ' mothers' helper' - its just a kid that maybe you could find in your building that around 10 years or 12 year to come and just play with your son for an hour or so in the house with ya , just in another room so he can get his wiggle out and you can get some stuff done and a break.

I had a 12 year old play in the back yard for a hour just so I could get a breather. I could keep my eye on all them through the 8 foot sliding gladd windows so they really were't unsupervised... but it did release some of my stress.

I would set up a kiddy pool loaded with bubbles and water guns...
or would pull out a plastic sheet and home made slip and slide

Maybe you could set up a painting area for when the "mothers helper' plays with your child...

well please share what you find works for ya, and im sure others will probably come up with more better ideas to get your creative juices flowing
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I weened mine off that last feeding if the day first....I remember that clearly and how it really messed with a bedtime routine. They weren't having nor getting much from it other than a living/breathing pacifier it seemed! I'd nurse a bit after dinner, do the bath, play or whatever, a small bottle and then uostairs for a book and into bed after that. The routine is key to all of it. It will take time, extra time since you are also weening him off sleeping with you but best to install a clear routine as you go. Soon he won't want to skip a step!

I also remember overly keeping house 'safe' which meant rough visits to others.....well with the twins, the first never touched a thing. The other two could find ways to make chaos out of one small crayon.LOL. Heck, they still can!

Hope your plans and reactions work quickly and easily....sounds like you could use a break even if it is just to be in a room alone and able to think and work!

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

I also had one large room gated that was the safe area. They could tear it apart and I could be in next room over. It was an open space between though so it was one of those 8ft white metal gates that attaches to walls and had a swinging door in it.

Did he ever use his crib? I think I'd have been much more inclined to go with the crib so he can't get out at night.....if he can't get out. I had one Houdini in the Grp and that one alone ruined nap time as it was forever haha

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
ljeanbeans Female
On the Board

ljeanbeans is an unknown quantity at this point

I completely didn't do it the next night. I didn't know just when they could...The neighbors moved in next door the next day, and they have twin 1 year olds and a 4 year old and have been couch surfing for 3 weeks...I didn't want to chance to disturb them. Not to mention that I don't hate sleeping with him. I would do it without question if I didn't need to work for $. It is better for the both of us. I want to get around to it again.
Also, I'm kinda freaking out that we're getting new carpeting on July 15th.
All the kids around here want to get paid. Not to mention that I'm a superintenso that apparently weirds them out. This little town is great, but it is a horse of a different color. All the kids love little B-...well she's apparently been staking out who she wants to work for when she's old enough (she's only 8 for cripes sake)....and she's completely rude and disrespectful to me. I'm planning to catch her off guard with a piece of the truth she can't wiggle away from at some point for walking into my home and announcing "This place is a mess" after I invited her in. It wasn't even...there were toys on the living room floor. I've seen the other people's homes around here...it's the same or better. She's a little Diva....and I'm new in town.
I told 14 yr old A- that I'd pay her $5 an hour...and haven't called her about 2 months later. I get the impression that people are offended with me. I just wanted her to come over and keep the guy from hanging off of me.
I like all of your ideas.
Never did get T- to go to sleep in a crib....he would freak out COMPLETELY if I even tried...all his life. It's no doubt the unsettled, stress of it all in our lives.
ljeanbeans is offline   Reply With Quote