Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Special Needs

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
DaddyCakes
The Other White Meat!

DaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Project Based Learning for ADHD Child?

With my son starting Middle School in the fall, I am trying to get him into one of two charter schools in my area that focus on STEM and use project based learning.

Does anyone have experience with this type of learning and what were the results?

Thanks in advance

-DC
Old 02-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
momofTDR
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Re: Project Based Learning for ADHD Chil

We did write a bit of this style of learning with my oldest when we homeschooled. It was beneficial for him. It allowed freedom for him to learn about things that interested him and in a cross-curricular approach which touches on all styles of learning. The charter school I worked in last year was an expeditionary learning school (lots of outdoors and hands on learning), and each year the class concentrated on one thing, like say the abolition of slavery. They read books, did art projects, worked on projects that took months. They emphasized making drafts and revisions, which I rarely see in general education schools. One thing with the attention deficit kiddos is, if the school uses a social learning environment, like tables and encourages group work...these wonderful kids either can't function I that environment at all, or they thrive and just do amazing! It depends on how they handle a bit more of chaos in a carton as well as if their peers are a distraction more than am encouragement. Give it a shot! I love, love the ideologies behind PBL! I wrote several of my education papers on its use, and took a class that taught how to use it in a science classroom
Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
momofTDR
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Hopefully you read swypo cause that's all I use
Old 02-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
DaddyCakes
The Other White Meat!

DaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With Support

thanks for the input! One school is a science academy and he has been accepted into that one for 6th grade. The other is a High Tech school and were waiting on the lottery for that one so I can make a choice.

B is extremely social and that does get him in trouble on occasion, his current teacher sat him at a table of all girls to keep him from being distracted! LOL

I think with the proper motivation, he will excel in school. Once that light goes on, it'll be game on for learning!

-DC