Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Unborn Babies and Medicaid - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Pre-Birth Age

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 02-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Unborn Babies and Medicaid

http://www.action3news.com/global/story.asp?s=11914842

Does your state provide Medicaid coverage for unborn babies?

Currently in our state, a pregnant woman who falls within the Medicaid guidelines - counting her unborn baby as an additional family member - can qualify for pre-natal coverage for her unborn baby.

Beginning March 1st, however, apparently the federal government is putting a stop to this, stating that an unborn baby does not qualify for federally funded medical care.

Is Nebraska the only state that has provided this up to this time? Or do other states provide it as well? If so, is it also being pulled in other states?
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
littlefoot_223 Female
Board Beacon Parent

littlefoot_223 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Unborn Babies and Medicaid

To my knowledge, DSHS still provides prenatal coverage. we have medicaid and medi care.
From what i read in the artical, was that there have been ppl that have abused the system and that is what they want to stop.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

No, it's not an abuse of the system. It's using the system the way our state allows it to be used - using it to provide prenatal care for mom and baby during the pregnancy.

The federal government is basically saying that the unborn baby does not count as a person authorized to have federally funded medical coverage, and they are no longer going to allow it.

ETA: The guidelines to cover certain family members under Medicaid are different. For an adult to qualify, the income restrictions are alot tighter. The guidelines for children to qualify aren't quite as tight. So many times children in the family qualify for Medicaid while the adults do not. Nebraska has allowed the unborn baby to be counted as a child, thus allowing the mother of the unborn baby a less restrictive window in which to qualify for Medicaid - which in this case would only cover her pre-natal care since it's actually coverage on the baby and not the mother.

So for an example, say you have a first-time single pregnant woman who makes $18K per year. Currently in Nebraska, she would be counted as a 2-person household on her Medicaid application, and the baby would qualify for medical coverage. So she would get Medicaid for her prenatal care.

When it changes, she will only be able to apply as a 1-person household, and as an adult would not qualify for medical coverage, so she would either have to pay out-of-pocket for her prenatal care or just not go to the doctor.

Last edited by alexmichele07; 02-02-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

AL covers prenatal care for a mom who qualifies. DGD1 has been on medicaid her whole life and I will keep m opinion of that to myself.

I Googled and don't see anything about that being changed in AL I don't really understand the ruling. Prenatal care is for the mother and the child, and when the child is born then he or she would qualify? That doesn't make sense.

That is completely backwards, you don't take care of an unborn child? Like they made the choice to be born to an uninsured parent?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

I honestly have no idea if my state provides this coverage or not.
I think the problem here is tied up in the abortion debate. If a fetus is recognized as a person...and vice - versa.
It's deffinately horrible if pre-natal care ends up unavailable for any reason.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idig View Post
AL covers prenatal care for a mom who qualifies. DGD1 has been on medicaid her whole life and I will keep m opinion of that to myself.

I Googled and don't see anything about that being changed in AL I don't really understand the ruling. Prenatal care is for the mother and the child, and when the child is born then he or she would qualify? That doesn't make sense.

That is completely backwards, you don't take care of an unborn child? Like they made the choice to be born to an uninsured parent?
If you didn't catch my ETA above, read it... they would qualify for coverage if the mother qualifies on her own. This may be the way other states already do this... but Nebraska always counted the unborn baby as an additional family member and as a child in and of him/herself, allowing a greater window in which to qualify.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

The thing is, that might send a struggling person into not working so they can go on Medicaid. Totally backwards thinking............
Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Bubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I am not saying it should be one way or the other.....but look at the situation in context of the Roe v. Wade argument.
Bubba'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

Another article I found...

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2010...0321100606.txt

Exerpt:

Quote:
He said Nebraska is the only state that allowed the unborn, not just their mothers, to be covered by Medicaid.

That has allowed women who didn’t qualify themselves for Medicaid to get prenatal care, because their children qualified. And the long-standing rule also allowed more women to be covered because the unborn baby was counted as another family member that would stretch a family’s resources.
I guess I was always under the impression that every state counted the unborn baby under the Medicaid guidelines. I'm just now discovering that Nebraska is the only state that (coughcough) had it right (cough)...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
lyndz7 Female
Setting New Standards

lyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is ridiculous to get rid of it. *IMO* if the mother is doing what she can, and holding onto a job, then she and the baby should qualify. It irks me that people and families sit home so they can qualify for things, or work under the table, when there are sooo many hard working parents that are doing what they can and can't get aid.
And as stated above, its not the childs fault. Its not fair for that child not to have a chance at a healthy gestation period. The whole welfare buisness is arse backwards.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

I guess I never considered having a baby then making the mom qualify for medicaid But once the baby is born they would qualify. SO instead they have babies in the system who didn't have prenatal care? Or people stop working at all so they can qualify for prenatal care?

My daughter is on medicaid while pregnant, K has stayed on medicaid, but my daughter wasn't on it after she had K until she got pregnant again and is on it now. Other than gynecological visits and birth control, the state doesn't pay for her medical care when she isn't pregnant. So that doesn't make sense either She doesn't work much, lives with her grandparents, never keeps a job long enough to get insurance, yet her child remains on medicaid... I don't know how all that works....

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndz7 View Post
I think that is ridiculous to get rid of it. *IMO* if the mother is doing what she can, and holding onto a job, then she and the baby should qualify. It irks me that people and families sit home so they can qualify for things, or work under the table, when there are sooo many hard working parents that are doing what they can and can't get aid.
And as stated above, its not the childs fault. Its not fair for that child not to have a chance at a healthy gestation period. The whole welfare buisness is arse backwards.
What she said.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Bubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Ladies - it's not about right/wrong.....it's political.
Bubba'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I don't think that is what am is saying........

Filing for Medicaid is liek filing for taxes, you put the amount of dependents on both. So, in Nebraska the unborn baby was counted as a "dependent" under the income qualifications. Which means that she was allowed to make more money and still qualify.

In Oregon, the baby has always counted in the eligibility. So, it would be "2."

As far as this following Roe v. Wade, I have to disagree. The reading of Roe is much narrower then what is sold to the masses. Roe does not consider a baby a person from 0-12 weeks, after that, it is left to the states to depend on when the baby becomes a person under the law. The necessity in protecting the fetus grows as the fetus becomes closer to being viable outside of the womb.

AM, I have heard nothing about it being pulled in my state. They talked about stopping services, but we just had an election that raised taxes in our state--I don't see in cutting that service yet. Remember the bulk of funding comes from the STATE........the federal funds are likely funded mostly for children who have been born.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #14
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

The point is that the mere existence of the unborn baby adds a financial burden to the family that would not be present if the woman was not pregnant. The medical care provided is for the unborn baby and the medical expenses incurred are as a result of the pregnancy. This additional "member" of the family - regardless of Roe v. Wade - is an added expense.

When calculating eligibility, items such as childcare costs or other health insurance costs are taken into consideration in their own respects. The existence of a fetus as an additional consideration in its own respect doesn't necessarily have to be in contrast to Roe v. Wade.

Also take into consideration the fact that children born to mothers without prenatal care are going to begin life immediately at a higher risk and could very well ultimately end up costing more than a baby who had received prenatal care. It will increase infant mortality rate, and likely the mortality rate of pregnant women as well.

Last edited by alexmichele07; 02-02-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Right, the policy impact of this new restriction is immense. I don't agree with it at all. I think it is ill thought out and in the end will cost the tax payer more for having to pay for children with complications after birth. Also, CPS may get involved where there is no prenatal treatment.........not liking this.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Quote:
Also take into consideration the fact that children born to mothers without prenatal care are going to begin life immediately at a higher risk and could very well ultimately end up costing more than a baby who had received prenatal care.
That's what I am saying, backwards thinking. Even if you take being humane out of the equation, it doesn't make sense.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #17
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

Now an added catch to this, if you will, is the ability for illegal immigrants to secure Medicaid for their unborn babies due to the fact that once they are born, the babies are US citizens by virtue of being born in this country.

It looks like this may be what's causing alot of the trouble, even though it's almost added as an afterthought to the ends of each of the articles...

This aspect of the issue is tough for me because my moral and legal sides are battling each other...
Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

Right now I know that in Oregon, you do NOT get medicaid when the mother is illegal.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #19
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

Nebraska currently allows it. And I'm pretty certain we have a significant number of illegal residents.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

We have a TON!!!!! Let me tell you. This has been a huge controversy for immigrant rights groups.

But allowing that for illegal immigrants sets up an equal rights argument.........
Old 02-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #21
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSL View Post
But allowing that for illegal immigrants sets up an equal rights argument.........
Equal rights or cost effectiveness, either way it's a problem. This is one of those lose-lose situations that just has no right answer.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #22
rhiansmoma Female
On the Board

rhiansmoma is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, most states are backwards. Apparently, illegal immigrants have more rights and support than US citizans do.....SO SAD.
rhiansmoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #23
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiansmoma View Post
yes, most states are backwards. Apparently, illegal immigrants have more rights and support than US citizans do.....SO SAD.
Actually, sadly this is not true, but it is something that people who want to send all undocumented workers would like the general populous to agree. They have very little rights..........

AM, cost effectiveness or being human are always tensions when deal with the government. I hate it, it's an ugly thing, but it is very, very true.

Interestingly enough, I have discovered through studies and talking with people, that alot of illegal aliens do not seek medical aid for general health care, or for prenatal care because they fear being discovered by authorities....even though the medical personnel are not going to report them. The reason health care is so expensive in this demographic is because they do not seek care until they are in emergency situations. So instead of trying to prevent or lesson the severity of the illness, by the time they get there it is in acute stage....also, ER's cannot turn someone away. Doctor's offices can if there is no insurance.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #24
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSL View Post
The reason health care is so expensive in this demographic is because they do not seek care until they are in emergency situations. So instead of trying to prevent or lesson the severity of the illness, by the time they get there it is in acute stage....also, ER's cannot turn someone away. Doctor's offices can if there is no insurance.
Which is exactly why, in so many circumstances, it is more cost effective to just allow them access to Medicaid.

But like I said; damned if you do, damned if you don't. There's no way to win this one.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #25
mamabear87
On the Board

mamabear87 is an unknown quantity at this point

What I have heard (at least for GA) is that they cover care for the mom-to-be and unborn baby during labor and delivery up to the 6 week check up. between birth and the 6 week check up the mother must apply for coverage for the baby. In most cases they will get coverage no problem, others the state does some paperwork and then decides based on any changes in the family income or situation. I know my daughter's coverage will be reevaluated when her brother is born because right now they are only counting her and myself to determine coverage.
mamabear87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
Mommyofone Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Mommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant future

I used Medicaid for mine but I know now I make to much to be on Medicaid for him now but I pay for allkids for my son. Would they do something for prenatal and do they have allkids in ur state?

Last edited by Mommyofone; 02-19-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: I'm a rere on an iPhone
Mommyofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #27
Soon2BMommy
On the Board

Soon2BMommy can only hope to improve

i live in florida and i am almost 36 weeks pregnant and my son was put on medicaid but i went online and checked my account and it says that his medicaid has been closed because he is receiveing medicaid from another program, i have amerigroup which is branched off of medicaid, but y would they take him off of medicaid, could it be because i have amerigroup and i am still pregnant with him?, so what do i have to do when he is born so he will be on medicaid? i even have a medicaid card for him
Soon2BMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #28
mamabear87
On the Board

mamabear87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bmommyof2 View Post
i live in florida and i am almost 36 weeks pregnant and my son was put on medicaid but i went online and checked my account and it says that his medicaid has been closed because he is receiveing medicaid from another program, i have amerigroup which is branched off of medicaid, but y would they take him off of medicaid, could it be because i have amerigroup and i am still pregnant with him?, so what do i have to do when he is born so he will be on medicaid? i even have a medicaid card for him
They have already given you a card for him? Thats strange. I know that I just got on Wellcare and they have sent me a letter along with Medicaid sending me one saying that once he is born he will be on Medicaid till we are no longer eligable or 1 month after his first birthday (when he will be reevaluated). I am currently 2 days shy of 35 weeks and they have sent me a letter requesting the status of my pregnancy (still preg, abort/miscarry, born) and I have to send that back to them soon (like tomorow) to continue receving coverage but once I let them know he is born they will automatically send me a card for him. You might want to call your case worker though and check that FL is the same way. I would think that they would do something similar if not the same.
mamabear87 is offline   Reply With Quote