Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey all about me (I'll start) - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Illinois

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-10-2004, 12:45 AM   #1
Chicagomom1
Parent on Board

Chicagomom1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok where do I start.

I am 26, never been married, mother of a baby girl (Sierra) born 3/11/03. I am a full time student at roosevelt university, and work part time for an americorps program called jumpstart.
My story is as follows. From the day I found out I was pregnant I had terrible morning sickness (which lasted 6 months), I had been hospitalized three times for dehydration and had been diagnosed with severe depression(which suprised me because being pregnant was the happiest thing I could imagine). I had a good job and was attending college (a year from graduating) when I found out I was pregnant. I finished my semster and decided to take a year off, had to quit my job do to being sick all the time and to top it off my b/f at the time got a job transfer to another town away from all that I knew in that state. we had one car and he used it all the time (even though it was mine). Things pretty much started to go down hill from about 4 months pregnant on. At 8 months pregnant my mom came down to help me unpack the house (2 months after moving in. My ex hadn't done and I couldn't lift a thing), she saw how depressed and unhappy I was and how my ex was treating me (not doing around the house, partying all the time, pretty much doing ), and tried to talk me into coming home and having the baby there and living with them, but I was ____ bent that things would change. My mom left and two days later I woke up with excrusiating(spelling) pain, I immidiately ask my ex to take me to the hospital, where they ran tests and couldn't find out what was wrong with me. That night was the deciding factor and end of my relationship with sierra's father. Knowing I was in pain and hated to be alone in hospitals and that I was possibly in premature labor my ex told me he was going home to sleep because he had work in the morning. The next day I called my mother and told her I wanted to come home. Now my ex's family are psycho (not going to go into detail) so I did not tell my ex or anyone (except my best friend) that I was leaving until my family was 10 mins from my house. My ex had no reaction what so ever to the news that I was leaving. He just called him mom to come get him and then left. so at 8 months pregnant I moved back home to chicago. I found a doctor(great dr.) and found out that the obgyn I had in ohio hadn't been doing a good job. he had never checked my blood sugar and I was almost in complete gestational diabetes (thankfully with healthy diet and happy home I was able to fight it and the tests came out good). my dr. also determined that the pain I was having was because of a misshapen uterus something that should have been monitored through out the pregnancy because it could harm the growth of the baby. Thankfully it hadn't. the pain was also do to an anxiety attack which no one had detected or even thought to have checked. Many things were found wrong when I got to chicago but none had an effect on the baby (thank god). After coming home things got much better and happier. I became a new person and on march 11th at 3:15pm Sierra Lynn was born. and the rest is history.. I would go into all the problems afterwards but I have rambled on long enough. I want to say thank you for letting me share my story with you. I haven't talked about anyone that since I came home almost a year ago (will be year jan. 11th). It feels like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Hopefully I will get to know all of you and eventually meet you and form life long friendships.

Shannon
Chicagomom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
jaseand mommy
On the Board

jaseand mommy is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW--I'm sorry that you had such a rough time with your pregnancy. Thank you for sharing your story-I'm glad a weight has been removed from your shoulders-that's what we are here to do--help each other through a rough time. I hope everything is better now. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate going to school full-time and raising your child. I had a hard enough time getting through school without children- My hats off to you--you can do it. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant too-but it was controlled with diet. I was very ____ about following the meal plan to a "T" because if I didn't I would of had to take insulin and I'm deathly afraid of needles. Is your daughter's father involved in her life at all right now? I hope he is because I think it's really sad when a parent walks away from their child--it breaks my heart. I wanted to move back to Minneapolis about a million times but I can't because I can't take my son away from his father. Anyway I hope that everything is o.k. with you and e-mail me anytime. I would like to become friends with you as well.
jaseand mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:16 AM   #3
Solo
Parent on Board

Solo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shannon,

It's good to hear things are going well for you and to see you back here. How is your daughter doing?

I am about 2 hrs from Chicago. Im located in Northern IN. I am 28 and my girls are 5 and the other one is almost 3. I was telling my 5yr that I want to take her to Chicago this summer to Shed's Aquarium and Sears Tower. She looks forward to it. Who knows maybe we could meet!?

Take care!
Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:10 PM   #4
bear
Parent on Board

bear is an unknown quantity at this point

chicagomom1,
hey im new to this support board and wanted to say hello i too am from the chicago area! im 20 years old turning 21 this april and have a 4 month old baby boy (actually today to be exact)what an amazing story you have! are family just wonderful!!!!! i have mine to lean against and i hope i never take them for granted. where did you live with your ex prior? my ex's family is crazy too with this child business and all they dont even want him to see his son so he doesnt even tell them (for the times he has come around...not many) well you take care and i hope all is going great. we shall talk again so we can get to know eachother better who knows maybe we can meet some time! kara
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
Maywest
On the Board

Maywest is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 36 and a single mother of three children. Twins a boy and girl age 12 yrs. and a 6 yr. old girl. I live in Southeren IL. I have a AAS degree in Human Services and have two classes and internship to finish my criminal justice degree. I am a operating engineer working with heavy equipment. I use to work at a federal penitentiary but left there for construction due to more money. What can I say my kids are my life I love them so much. When I feel down they always make me smile and laugh. I just purchased a double wide in May of 2000. It's great to have a forum like this. Keep in touch and I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. With each new year brings new changes and more wisdom as we grow older.
Maywest
Maywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:56 PM   #6
Chicagomom1
Parent on Board

Hey,
Our kids are exactly 6 months different. My daughter turned 10months on the 11th. Hey where in chicago do you live? It would be great to get together some time.

Shannon
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bear:
[qb]chicagomom1,
hey im new to this support board and wanted to say hello i too am from the chicago area! im 20 years old turning 21 this april and have a 4 month old baby boy (actually today to be exact)what an amazing story you have! are family just wonderful!!!!! i have mine to lean against and i hope i never take them for granted. where did you live with your ex prior? my ex's family is crazy too with this child business and all they dont even want him to see his son so he doesnt even tell them (for the times he has come around...not many) well you take care and i hope all is going great. we shall talk again so we can get to know eachother better who knows maybe we can meet some time! kara[/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-13-2004, 10:59 PM   #7
Chicagomom1
Parent on Board

My goodness how much we have in common. I grew up in Minneapolis there are many times I would love to move back there, but that would be to far from family and friends. No sierra's father has nothing to do with her life. She is 10 months old and he has never met her before. Part of me is glad but at times I wish he knew her and could enjoy her beauty.

Shannon
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jaseand mommy:
[qb]WOW--I'm sorry that you had such a rough time with your pregnancy. Thank you for sharing your story-I'm glad a weight has been removed from your shoulders-that's what we are here to do--help each other through a rough time. I hope everything is better now. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate going to school full-time and raising your child. I had a hard enough time getting through school without children- My hats off to you--you can do it. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant too-but it was controlled with diet. I was very ____ about following the meal plan to a "T" because if I didn't I would of had to take insulin and I'm deathly afraid of needles. Is your daughter's father involved in her life at all right now? I hope he is because I think it's really sad when a parent walks away from their child--it breaks my heart. I wanted to move back to Minneapolis about a million times but I can't because I can't take my son away from his father. Anyway I hope that everything is o.k. with you and e-mail me anytime. I would like to become friends with you as well.[/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
bear
Parent on Board

bear is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chicagomom1:
[qb]Hey,
Our kids are exactly 6 months different. My daughter turned 10months on the 11th. Hey where in chicago do you live? It would be great to get together some time.

Shannon
[/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey chicagomom1
im from the north shore line. lake forest. you live in the city? send me a private message back i for some fluke went into this note and went to see if i had written and i saw that you wrote me back. we shall get together some time that would be cool! hope all is well. kara
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:50 PM   #9
jaseand mommy
On the Board

jaseand mommy is an unknown quantity at this point

That's too bad Sierra's father isn't involved with her life-his loss and she deserves better then that. That's cool that you grew up in Minneapolis-what part? I grew up in South--it's a great town. Well I better go-talk to you later
jaseand mommy is offline   Reply With Quote