Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Question for everyone out there?????????? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Illinois

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
BRIANNA5
I am New

BRIANNA5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know about terminating a fathers parenting rights? Have any of you ever gone throught the process of either terminating or getting sole custody of your child/ren? What does the process involved and what steps would I take to get started? If it makes a difference, her father is in jail right now, but I want nothing to do with him once he gets out. I live in Cook County(IL), any advice would be helpful. Thanks to all.
BRIANNA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
BRIANNA5
I am New

BRIANNA5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know about terminating a fathers parenting rights? Have any of you ever gone throught the process of either terminating or getting sole custody of your child/ren? What does the process involved and what steps would I take to get started? If it makes a difference, her father is in jail right now, but I want nothing to do with him once he gets out. I live in Cook County(IL), any advice would be helpful. Thanks to all.
BRIANNA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
LLLinda
I am New

LLLinda is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have any experience with that, wish I could help. Have you called any attorneys about it? I'm guessing with him being in jail it should be relatively easy, but have you documented everything? Is he abusive towards the kids?
LLLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
Melissa Jo
Setting New Standards

Melissa Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

Brianna - sorry to have missed your post before.

I'm not sure how easy it is to 'terminate.' I'm most positive that you will need an attorney to actually 'terminate.' However, if you feel that he is unsafe for you or your child, you can get an immediate Restraining Order and then contact an attorney. Depending on what he is in jail for, how much contact he's had with your child(ren,) etc. they may request supervised visitation once he gets out.
Melissa Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
TylersMommy0702
I am New

TylersMommy0702 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had just joined this site and had seen your posting. I wish I could have gotten to you sooner. I had talked with my son's father about signing over his parental rights. He refused and I contacted the Illinois Department of Public Aid and spoke with an attorney through them. They had said that unless he was abusive or an addict and could place my son in danger then it is possible for him to deny signing over his parental rights. If he refused, there was nothing I could do. I would suggest contacting the Illinois Department of Public Aid. You can find their website if you google it. There is a phone number and I would give it a call. Tell them you were looking for some advice and they will transfer you to where you need to be. Good luck and I hope this helps!!!
TylersMommy0702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #6
Chicagomom1
Parent on Board

Chicagomom1 is an unknown quantity at this point

That isn't completely true. If the child has had no contact and has recieved no support from the father for 2 1/2 to 3 years rights can automatically be terminated whether the father agrees or not. It's concidered abandonment. What is he in jail for that may make a difference. Also if you were never married you have more rights than he has.
Chicagomom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:19 AM   #7
nichster
I am New

nichster is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on what state you are in. For most states, Tylers mom is correct. You must prove the child is in danger to completely strip custody / visitation from a parent. My ex wife had primary custody while admiting to her spouse being verbally and emotionally abousive to her and my son. I had to live with this until my son at 9 decided to live with me. He has been asking since he was 4, but she convinced him he was being 'mean' to her. None of this mattered. This was AZ. Most states are this way.
nichster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:03 AM   #8
Cubby
Learning to Surf The Board

Cubby is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org

Within this site, you can find the info on termination of parental rights.
Cubby is offline   Reply With Quote