Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Help with GAL - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Illinois

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Jame34
Learning to Surf The Board

Jame34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone had to go through a custody dispute using a GAL? I Just went through one and it was the most reckless process I have ever been a part of. I am the father and for the first time in my life knows what discrimination feels like. My wife left me over a year ago to deal with everything including our two boys. Now she is fighting for custody and the GAL has recomended that she be residential parent. Now I have to wait and see if the judge is going take my sons out of there home, schools and daycare and put them into a new environment. The ex doesn't even have her own home. She lives with her mom, which by the way has her brother and his two kids liveng there also. The ex made false accusations that I am a heavy drug user, which in 7 years of being together she has never once seen me use drugs. She claimed that I hit my son, which I have never in my life ever dreamed of harming my children. All I did was state facts about the seperation and none of it was documented in the GAL report. Is this system that screwed up that just because I am the father and not the mother, that I can be lied about and that is the end of story? If anyone has had to deal with a GAL, please let me know of any advice you can give. I am appealing it, but I am affraid that my kids are going to be taken away temporarily all because of lies. Attorneys only say don't worry about it, this happens all the time. Well I do worry about it. Even temporary will damage my kids for life. Anyone have any input?
Jame34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #2
Jame34

Has anyone had to go through a custody dispute using a GAL? I Just went through one and it was the most reckless process I have ever been a part of. I am the father and for the first time in my life knows what discrimination feels like. My wife left me over a year ago to deal with everything including our two boys. Now she is fighting for custody and the GAL has recomended that she be residential parent. Now I have to wait and see if the judge is going take my sons out of there home, schools and daycare and put them into a new environment. The ex doesn't even have her own home. She lives with her mom, which by the way has her brother and his two kids liveng there also. The ex made false accusations that I am a heavy drug user, which in 7 years of being together she has never once seen me use drugs. She claimed that I hit my son, which I have never in my life ever dreamed of harming my children. All I did was state facts about the seperation and none of it was documented in the GAL report. Is this system that screwed up that just because I am the father and not the mother, that I can be lied about and that is the end of story? If anyone has had to deal with a GAL, please let me know of any advice you can give. I am appealing it, but I am affraid that my kids are going to be taken away temporarily all because of lies. Attorneys only say don't worry about it, this happens all the time. Well I do worry about it. Even temporary will damage my kids for life. Anyone have any input?
Old 08-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #3
All4Mine
Active Board Parent

All4Mine is an unknown quantity at this point

What is GAL? Haven't heard of it...I'm in Cali and is there something here that is similiar to what it is?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
thelynder
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

thelynder is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not heard of "GAL" either, but it seems that no matter what, claims have to be substantiated to be considered?? I can understand concern, even panic - I would feel the same - but if you have an attorney whom you have faith in, I would think he would place the burden of proof onto her side?? And what excuse can she give for running out on her family? Remember what I am always told...document, document, document...know your events, dates, occurrences. Have it written down. When did she leave? What did she leave with? How often has she made contact & when...etc...
I hope the turnout is in your favor.
thelynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:36 PM   #5
Jame34

GAL-is Guardian Ad Litem. It is a neutral Attorney that is appointed by the court to act in the best interest of the child by finding out the facts. The GAL in my case met with me twice and pretty much just dismissed all of my documents and facts. Then took my ex's word on everything else and this is what the judge is suppose to go by. I have little faith right now in anyone being neutral or fair in this system.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:25 AM   #6
thelynder
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

thelynder is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Is it too late to hire your own personal attorney? Is this something the court system forced you into, or did you mutually agree to function under this system? Seems like you could still benefit from the advice of your own personal attorney. How frustrating to be dismissed out of hand like that! There has to be some way to be heard & have justice...
thelynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:18 AM   #7
Chicagomom1
Parent on Board

Chicagomom1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have not dealt with GAL but my lawyer said it is best to obtain your own lawyer who will help you with the appeals. I would also get the GALs boss's number and complain. Say that things that you stated were never documented and that you feel the GAL is not doing their job correctly. Has the GAL met with your sons? How old are they? I would advise you to get your own lawyer to help you with this whole situation. Yes it is sad that this system is so screwed up. This is one reason that I decided not to become a social worker. It's a stupid f'd up system from GALs to DCFS social workers. Hope things work out for the best. How old are your sons?

Shannon
Chicagomom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:30 AM   #8
All4Mine
Active Board Parent

All4Mine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the clarification and harsh reality that the SYSTEM is not made in the best interest of anyone.

I had to get my own attorney years ago and to think of it, I did some research online to find a woman's group that went by my income and had him pay the rest, if not all of my attorney fees.

Use the internet to your advantage. There's has to be something like this in your area to assist you. FYI, the attorney I had was the best...My income didn't matter not one bit to her...She saw the truth and that's what counted.

Best of luck to you!