Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Oak Park single mom - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Illinois

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
wndrlnd
I am New

wndrlnd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my name is Shannon. I've recently recognized that I have to, NEED to start connecting with other single parents. My goal is to gather a group of us to get together with or without kids, share our lives, and offer support.
I'm 36 and have one beautiful 3 year old little girl named Grace. I've always been single, when I found out I was pregnant I was not in a steady relationship and was quite surprised! Her father and I are actually roommates now, it was the only way I could think of to make ends meet and get a little (and I mean little!) help with childcare. It's unconventional but it works, I think because we were never really an actual "couple". We don't have the stress of trying to make a romantic relationship work.
I'm still a single parent though, with a roommate who helps once and a while.
I've been living in the Oak Park area for about 4 years now and I really love it, though I lived on the northside of Chicago for 14 years, I still work there and do miss city life.
I'm a social worker, I work in community mental health, which is funny because I feel like I'm losing my own mind half the time!
My biggest challenges right now are money, (social workers don't have any), and keeping my life organized, while having the time and energy to be a great mom. I CAN'T DO IT ALONE! Oh, and I need a life of my own outside of work too. My weekdays start with us out of the house to the babysitter by 7:15am, and we finally get home around 6pm. So my time is limited but I'm committed to making time for myself to meet others.
I'm thinking a parents night out, weekend playdates...I'm hoping to make this a great summer for myself and my daughter. Can't wait to hear from you all!
wndrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Don Male
At A loss for Words - NOT!

Don will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum wndrlnd. I'm not even sure how many active members here are local to you but hopefully some. Meanwhile, feel free to join in anywhere here for some conversation, support, even some laughs to lighten the load.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
FlyingDevildog Male
Banned

FlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond repute

Hi from northern IL

Dawg
FlyingDevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
The Chicago Details
I am New

The Chicago Details is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Im new to SFV too. I used to live in Oak Park for many years, now living in far north burbs. I understand about wanting/needing to go out more. Career, family life, and children can sure zap time like fairy dust. My girls are aged 11 and 13, so unsure if yours are that age. BUT...my 13 year old has signed on for babysitting classes at her middle school (they get certified and everthing!)My friends are very far now, so rarely get together with them anymore. People out here are..to be PC correct...'pretentious', so slim pickins of cool peeps. Since the summer is coming up, perhaps these 2 single moms can hit a few festivals.
The Chicago Details is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
atwitsend
Parent on Board

atwitsend is an unknown quantity at this point

Noticed you're from Chicago. My daughter and I are going there next week staying at Bannockburn. how is that area?
atwitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
wndrlnd
I am New

wndrlnd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, thank you for your replies! "atwitsend", I'm not familiar with Bannockburn, but I hope you enjoy your trip! Chicago Details, I would love to hit a few festivals this summer, it's been so long...! My daughter is only 3, but I'm sure, as single parents, we have much in common!
wndrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
Bridgettc1970
I am New

Bridgettc1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. I'm new here and just wanted to say hello and that I can totally relate to how your feeling. I live just north of chicago about 75 miles in Bourbonnais. Where about is Oak Park??
Bridgettc1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Reviewer6
I am New

Reviewer6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and welcome! I completely get the need to go out...even if it's just to talk to another adult!!! I grew up near Oak Park and you should have tons of stuff to do around the town! I know you'll get all the support and friendship here...plus extra laughs to make you smile even when you don't feel like it!
Again, welcome!

~MJ~
Reviewer6 is offline   Reply With Quote