Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Stay @ Home Single Parents

Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
MotherBoard
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
star How to Be a Stay At Home Single Parent

How to Be a Stay At Home Single Parent
By Sarra Jackson, eHow Contributor

Almost every parent would love to stay home with their children rather than leave them in daycare and go to work. Daycare costs alone can be expensive and not fit in a budget. In order to be able to support your children as a single parent, you will need to find a job that you can do from the house. Also, with the right budgeting techniques and will power, it is possible to be a stay at home single parent.

Difficulty: Moderate

Instructions

Write out all of your expenses. Groceries, bills, car and health insurance, mortgage or rent, gas, etc. You may also want to consider how much you want to spend each month for entertainment. Going out to dinner, seeing a movie and buying gifts for birthdays can all add up really quickly.

Be organized. Know how much you're spending and how much money is coming in. Always know how much money you have in the bank so you aren't expected to pay pricey overage fees. Organization can also help you know what your schedule is day to day. Taking children to their activities while running your own errands without the help of another parent can be stressful. Planning things help can reduce the amount of stress you feel.

Stop spending on things you don't really need. While a treat every now and then may be fine, overindulgences can mean that you're left without money for the bills or food for your children. Once you have cut your costs, you can get a better idea on how much work you will need to do in order to have enough money to live.

Move into a smaller home or share a house with another single mother. Not only will you have somebody to share the bills with, you'll have help cleaning and cooking.

Look for jobs that you can do from the house if you still aren't able to pay for everything without working. Consider babysitting other children from your house. Some states will require a license for this type of work but you can easily check your state's website to find information on the classes and licenses you need.

Search the Internet for companies that need customer service representatives to work from the house. If your children are old enough and don't need as much of your attention, you could easily set up an office in a quiet room and work from your home. Not only will this save money on daycare, you can still know what your children are doing. Many of these jobs will only offer part time work, so don't expect benefits for health insurance.

Tips & Warnings
Finding a job to work from home may take time. Don't quit another job until you know for sure you're hired.

Always do what's best for your children. Even though you're staying home, if you aren't making the money to care for your children, you won't be helping them.

Read More: http://www.ehow.com/how_4464835_be-s...le-parent.html
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
BigBobby
Setting New Standards

BigBobby has disabled reputation
Default Re: How to Be a Stay At Home Single Pare

Nice article!

They missed a huge one though...go to college. Students are elligible for grants and loans that pay for tuition + living expenses. They don't live well, but they do live and when the child's grown they'll be in a position to make better money (and the loans are very reasonable).

Of course you do need to go to class (there's some debate about online classes to be had), but by and large it's much less time away from home than working. Most of the work is out of class and can be done once the kid is in bed.

It's what I did anyway...twice...loved it both times.

Heh...and of course, you need to pick a major that actually will pay more once you graduate. This isn't the time to follow dreams about becoming a modern dancer.

Later,
Bobby
BigBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Mamamama
I am New

Mamamama is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd also like to add that this is the time to tap into your rainy day/retirement fund. Your child will only be small for a couple critical years, delaying your retirement is definitely worth the investment in them.
Mamamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Agreed on the education bit.... gotta do that.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
sara1
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I keep hearing I can go to college and have living expenses paid for. I am going to college and I still don't see that. I do have a little bit of unsubsidized loan money left over at the end of the semester but most of it goes for books.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
patriciajames
Learning to Surf The Board

patriciajames will become famous soon enough

Very good article. I stopped buying wine and that saved me a bit of money each month. And stopped getting "to go" for for me and the kids - we can still go to the park and eat dinner but I have to cook it. I like the tip about finding another single mom to room with, that could save a lot on expenses! Thanks.
patriciajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
SingleMom123
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1 View Post
I keep hearing I can go to college and have living expenses paid for. I am going to college and I still don't see that. I do have a little bit of unsubsidized loan money left over at the end of the semester but most of it goes for books.
I did it. When I went to college I got more loans per semester then I needed. I was able to live off my loans.
SingleMom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
SarahSue
I am New

SarahSue is an unknown quantity at this point

I do little things like recycling everything that is plastic and glass. That is the fun money for the kids. Planning out my meals always saves me $$ too. I have more info on some other things that may help. Let me know if you are interested.
SarahSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Honeybee
I am New

Honeybee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much
Honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
successIR
I am New

successIR is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm actually a stay at home single dad. And there are ways to do it. At first i was scared because we all know that it is very hard to raise a child without a solid income flow. Until my friend Jessica told me about a REAL work from home job referring for pre-written ads for fortune 500 companies like Netflix, Target, Walmart, ETC. At first i was very hesitant and cautious, i just googled it for about a week before i decided to join. I do warn you, there is no money up front.

Last edited by MotherBoard; 03-01-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spam removed ~ Please Reread the rules
successIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:18 AM   #11
laurenphel
I am New

laurenphel is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also open your own daycare and stay home with your kids while still making an income. A friend of mine runs a company called Daybear that does all the work for you to make sure your legal with the state. check it out here: http://dabr.co/y56x
laurenphel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #12
stellamum

stellamum is an unknown quantity at this point

I think, organizing your finances will be a great help. Though, it may be difficult if you really want to go to college, find a job and take care of your kids at the same time. Don't hesitate to ask other people's advice or help if you're struggling with your life as a parent. You shouldn't do everything alone all the time.
stellamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:46 AM   #13
Joss Robbins

Joss Robbins is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherBoard View Post
How to Be a Stay At Home Single Parent
By Sarra Jackson, eHow Contributor

Almost every parent would love to stay home with their children rather than leave them in daycare and go to work. Daycare costs alone can be expensive and not fit in a budget. In order to be able to support your children as a single parent, you will need to find a job that you can do from the house. Also, with the right budgeting techniques and will power, it is possible to be a stay at home single parent.

Difficulty: Moderate

Instructions

Write out all of your expenses. Groceries, bills, car and health insurance, mortgage or rent, gas, etc. You may also want to consider how much you want to spend each month for entertainment. Going out to dinner, seeing a movie and buying gifts for birthdays can all add up really quickly.

Be organized. Know how much you're spending and how much money is coming in. Always know how much money you have in the bank so you aren't expected to pay pricey overage fees. Organization can also help you know what your schedule is day to day. Taking children to their activities while running your own errands without the help of another parent can be stressful. Planning things help can reduce the amount of stress you feel.

Stop spending on things you don't really need. While a treat every now and then may be fine, overindulgences can mean that you're left without money for the bills or food for your children. Once you have cut your costs, you can get a better idea on how much work you will need to do in order to have enough money to live.

Move into a smaller home or share a house with another single mother. Not only will you have somebody to share the bills with, you'll have help cleaning and cooking.

Look for jobs that you can do from the house if you still aren't able to pay for everything without working. Consider babysitting other children from your house. Some states will require a license for this type of work but you can easily check your state's website to find information on the classes and licenses you need.

Search the Internet for companies that need customer service representatives to work from the house. If your children are old enough and don't need as much of your attention, you could easily set up an office in a quiet room and work from your home. Not only will this save money on daycare, you can still know what your children are doing. Many of these jobs will only offer part time work, so don't expect benefits for health insurance.

Tips & Warnings
Finding a job to work from home may take time. Don't quit another job until you know for sure you're hired.

Always do what's best for your children. Even though you're staying home, if you aren't making the money to care for your children, you won't be helping them.

Read More: http://www.ehow.com/how_4464835_be-s...le-parent.html
I like the article so much! Everything a parent needs to learn about responsibilities and tips on how to handle can seem to motivate each one us. To add to it, I have so much respect to single parents out there because most of them can work things out at their own just for the welfare of their children. Some are at home but doing their best to earn for their kids. Others are working online in the comforts of their home and some are into small business.
Joss Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote