Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Should I go through court for child supp - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Support

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
LaughingWith1 Male
I am New

LaughingWith1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I go through court for child supp

Background:
Back in 2009 my ex moved out of state about 4-5 hours away to North Carolina. I live in Arlington, VA. Ex moved to North Carolina 4 years ago. I take care of her 85% of the time. Our 5 five year daughter sees her every 4-6 weeks for a couple of days and when she does see her, the ex picks her up and takes her to North Carolina for 2 days and drops her back. In court the papers say Joint Custody.

We did the paperwork in the settlement agreement a few years back (2011) and it says she will pay me $300 a month. At the time we just came up with a number. She was transitioning to a new job in a new state but that has been a few years now. That $300 hardly helped me. I was paying $1400 a month plus all other expenses for my daughter for 3 years. Now that she is in Kindergarten the after school has dropped to $600.

My Question:
My daughter needed dental care and I told my ex about it to see if she wanted to chip in. She said she would help but she sent me an email with demands that she will keep her for the entire summer in North Carolina and when she has her she will not pay me since she will have her the entire summer (which I don't agree with her having her the entire summer). Also if I don't abide to the few demands she made that she will stop paying me.

Should I go through the court or a lawyer figure out exactly how much she should pay. Can she threaten not to pay me? She's a hair stylist and makes around 50k a year where I make about 70k.

I talked to one lawyer and he said that based on her salary she wouldn't be paying much more which I find hard to believe since I see people that make less paying more.

Tough the decree says joint custody but I've have had her living with me since she was two and taking care of her. My daughter and I have always lived in the same area since she was born.

Thanks and let me know if you need any more details.
LaughingWith1 is offline   Reply With Quote