Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey child mentors - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Massachusetts

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
scoutmom
Board Blazen Parent

scoutmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the list and was hoping there may be some parents out there who could help me. I'm a single parent of a super 9yo boy. The father has never been in the picture. There are few men in the family and basically he is longing for a male figure. I signed him up for Cub Scouts hoping he would get one there but it has actually made it worse by seeing all the other kids enjoying time with their dads. It's still a great program and we are very involed but it didn't fill that void. Anywho, I tried contacting Big Brothers and we do not live in their service area, not too mention there is a huge waiting list. I was hoping maybe somewhere out there parents may know of another mentoring program available in Mass. I would even be interested in being a female mentor for someone's child. Maybe a child swapping program, . I'm sure we are not the only one's with this issue. Many kids still have contact with both parents even if they don't live with them but there are many that really only have one parent and then feel they are missing something. It's easy to make poor relationship choices when you feel guilty about yours kids missing out on another parent figure. I think most long-term single parents will admit to being with someone because they think its good for the kids to have a role model of the opposite ***, but a relationship for the wrong reasons often leads to a bad end, eventually hurting the kids that your trying to help. A mentor program allows for that interaction without it becoming a relationship mess.
Thanks for your help,
Heidi
Old 08-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
tomany2count
Visitor

Hey scoutmom and welcome to the forum. Great group of people. I really can not help you but hopefully one of the other members will soon.
Again welcome
Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Laurie05 Female
Board Beacon Parent

Laurie05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the site scoutmom. I have my boys signed uo to get a big brother as well, but they didn't tell me there was a waiting list I hope it doesn't take long. I dont know of another mentoring program even here in Texas but actively searching for resources. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

BigBobby has disabled reputation

Hey,

I'm Bobby. I'm the 29yo single father of a 10yo boy, and I'm the best male role model in the universe.

There's a get together that I'm having in Mass soon. It's an adult's night out for single parents, but it will hopefully turn into an activities group with adult and child activities. You should check out my post about it in the Massachusetts folder...you might be interested.

Later,
Bobby
BigBobby is offline   Reply With Quote