Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey any new england single parents here? lol - Page 2 - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Massachusetts

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #46
Trasaris
Parent on Board

Trasaris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the invite HMCR. I really wish I could, but Sat. night is the night the kids are supposed to spend with their mother. She cancels last minute more than half the time. So I cant really make definite plans. Maybe I can make the next one if this is going to be a regular thing.
Trasaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #47
HMCR
Parent on Board

HMCR is an unknown quantity at this point

well we are trying to make it a regular thing, some activities with and some without the kids, you can always get the info from Bobby and if you can make it you can if not theres next time. im actually planning to go, but im waiting on news about out of town visitirs, so i may have to back out last minute

if not we are here to chat with anyways!!
HMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:30 PM   #48
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

BigBobby has disabled reputation

...yeah, and I gotta say...I checked back on one of the people that said they were going, and got no response...

So right now it looks like 2 for sure (including me), one probably (you), and one late (scoutmom).

Adding a probably not to that list wouldn't be such a big thing...
BigBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #49
HMCR
Parent on Board

it also makes it hard for me cuz my friend cant go and nothing against you bobby, but going all the way there by myself is scary too. i cant believe not more people responded or did the day just not work for them? maybe we have to try a kids included activity first?

oh yeah im still waiting for a bag of that **** you stepped in last week, if you bring that along that may be incentive enough for me to get there sat
Old 08-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #50
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

...that happiness was all me...so, I guess that I will be bringing it

I'm disappointed I didn't get more people after the first day, but the Mass section of this site doesn't get a ton of traffic either. If we just start it up and keep it going, maybe we'll collect more parents over time.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #51
Trasaris
Parent on Board

According to my X, she will be taking the kids Sat, and I have to bring them to Framingham. If that all works out, and the stars are aligned just right, etc. I may be able to make it about an hour late (7ish depending on how far the place is from there)
and stop by for a couple drinks.

If that would work, PM me with the details and Il keep you posted on my end, though I wont officialy know untill last minute either way.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:34 AM   #52
HMCR
Parent on Board

bobby maybe it should expand to NE or at least to include RI and CT. it looks like im not going to know until the last minute too, so if i dont hear if anyone is coming into town, by 3 or so, ill head up, if not DEFINITELY the next time. do you think including kids would help, especially if people dont have sitters on a sat night.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #53
Trasaris
Parent on Board

Including kids would help for me, but that will probably make it a lot more difficult to plan especialy when the weather gets cold.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:39 AM   #54
HMCR
Parent on Board

well thats when we all have to be creative ive been trying to come up with ideas, i know there is a place near me that has special days at the movies for parents and kids so you can go and watch a movie and not worry about disturbing people, plus i know i get passes for the NE Aquarium etc so im thinking, my little one will care less wherever she goes
Old 08-19-2005, 11:49 AM   #55
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Really, I won't be disappointed if I come out of this meeting one new person, so low turnout isn't that much of a worry...and certainly, RI, CT, NH, and VT are perfectly welcome. Jeez...if someone really wanted to come from Canada I would probably find a way to accodate them (although no plane tickets )

And yeah, including kids probably will make everything easier...kid's activities are pretty easy, actually. You can just spend the day at the park really, and have a free yet great time. Free passes to the Aquarium and Boston Museums are always cool too. Two people have mentioned camping to me through e-mail...maybe we could do a woods trip first, and then overnight camping later.

Heh...but I *do* want to do adult activities too

Especially since the girl I was dating just decided my kid is a problem Looks like I gotta find something else to do tonight now...

At least I got something set up for tomorrow, however
Old 08-19-2005, 12:09 PM   #56
HMCR
Parent on Board

sorry to hear that Bobby-thought she knew about your son, I dont understand how people can know your a parent and be ok one minute and not the next or if they use it as an excuse?well then shes not worth it for you or your son! The falls coming to and there is always fruit picking, hay rides, haunted houses and other outdoor activities too. Right now even though the baby isnt here im limited, because im pregnant too.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:25 PM   #57
Trasaris
Parent on Board

That sucks Bobby.
I have tried the dating thing a couple of times myself and though it was never mentioned, I think being a single parent had a lot to due with them not working out, even with other single parents. My theory is that even when they are aware that you are a single parent, they dont quite understand the level of dedication we put in to our children.
And single Dads numbers are growing, but we are still quite a minority. I think there alot of times when at first your date is thinking wow a single Dad, he must be a great guy, but as time goes on and plans get broken or changed because of a sick kid, or mom didnt show up or any of the other million things that come up. The single parent status starts to loose its appeal and they realize how difficult it can be. I try to look at is as the ones that cant handle the situation probably arent worth getting upset over. Its the one that understands and works with you that will last.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:49 PM   #58
HMCR
Parent on Board

i have a couple close guy friends who are single dads and have custody of their kids. I think its the parent that gives the most stability that they should be with and if thats the dad then it works. I havent had to face this situation yet, ____ who wants to date a pregnant woman i figure when the baby comes ill have it easy
Old 08-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #59
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Well she was fine with it when she first found out, then she wasn't OK with it after babysitting became an issue and her friends talked to her...

...but please...stop this talk about finding someone for little Bobby and me...that club is doing well and doesn't need any more people in it

I'm looking for something that just a woman and me...the thing is, I don't think that there are any women that I'd want to date that would want to date a single dad...ah well...
Old 08-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #60
HMCR
Parent on Board

ok then you can find someone for us haha like they say when your not looking and least expect it
Old 08-19-2005, 01:50 PM   #61
Trasaris
Parent on Board

Quote:
Originally posted by HMCR:
[qb] i have a couple close guy friends who are single dads and have custody of their kids. I think its the parent that gives the most stability that they should be with and if thats the dad then it works. I havent had to face this situation yet, ____ who wants to date a pregnant woman i figure when the baby comes ill have it easy [/qb]
Thats not entirely true. There are some guys that will date a pregnant woman....(I have)

I wouldnt bet on having anything easy after the baby comes....especialy SLEEP!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #62
HMCR
Parent on Board

well to go out and start something new is kind of hard, they look at you then your belly, and not too many guys want to approach you, i think they think there is someone else. Besides its not like you can have much fun, although the damage is already done

ps i meant i think meeting someone will be easier then.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #63
Trasaris
Parent on Board

But look at the bright side, you dont need to worry about finding a babysitter yet.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #64
HMCR
Parent on Board

yeah i just bring her along wherever i go, although sometimes i would like a break Especially to participate in some adult activities
Old 08-19-2005, 02:09 PM   #65
Trasaris
Parent on Board

There is also the not so bright side. Such as the hormonal emotional roller coaster etc...

Oh yea, and whats a break???
Old 08-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #66
HMCR
Parent on Board

well a break to take off the extra 30 lbs and leave it aside so i can walk upright and move around a bit.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #67
Trasaris
Parent on Board

That does sound a bit uncomfortable.

I think we could all use a break.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #68
HMCR
Parent on Board

well i meant the extra lbs for the baby. PM Bobby for info on Sat.

its in central mass

my replies werent adding hmmm i was saying i meant the baby lbs be sure to PM Bobby for info on Sat its in central mass
Old 08-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #69
scoutmom
Board Blazen Parent

scoutmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome Trasaris.
You seem like a fun, outgoing person, and we are just about neighbors. I live near Blackstone. My bro-in-law owns a tattoo studio in Woonsocket.

Anywho I so understand not having much time w/o child. Really though I can't stand being apart so I don't mind. I was thinking though of activities we could do and thought what about a night at the drive-in before school starts? It's pretty inexpensive and the kiddies can all play together in the field and the adults can hang-out. People could come and go as they needed to without having to worry about reservations and such.

I envy you HMCR, I was my most happiest, heaven only knows why, while I was pregnant. My skin, hair and nails were great, I was friendly and happy all the time. My BF at the time said I should just stay pregnant. Easy for him to say. Good luck with her.
scoutmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #70
Trasaris
Parent on Board

Hi Scoutmom
I used to live in Blackstone a few years ago.
The drive-in sounds like a good idea, or even a day at the park. I dont know if anyone else is near enough to want to take the drive, but I would go.
If you want we could PM and work out details. Any one else in the area or who doesnt mind driving a bit, let us know.

I am within 20 mins of two drive-ins (how many people can say that!?)
Old 08-22-2005, 04:48 PM   #71
HMCR
Parent on Board

i know where it is i work 20 minutes from it.should plan soon, since they may be closing after labor day

Just an FYI
Parents and babies can enjoy the latest movies in a baby-friendly setting.
Join us every other Tuesday at 10:00 a.m.
Blackstone Valley 14: Cinema de Lux
At the Shoppes @ Blackstone Valley, Millbury, MA
August 30th feature is
Rated: PG-13
Upcoming Schedule:
September 13 & 27, October 11
Movie titles are available one week prior to the show.
Admission is $6.00.
Babies up to 12 months are free and children 13 months to 3 years are $1.00..

FREE PARKING! �Dim lighting to allow for easy child care in the auditorium
�Movie volume will be lowered for babies' sensitive hearing �Baby changing stations
�Area for strollers �Food cart offering breakfast goodies and concessions for sale

Showcase Cinemas Randolph
Route 139, 73 Mazzeo Drive, Randolph, MA 24-hour: 781-963-5600

August 23rd feature is MARCH OF THE PENGUINS
Rated: G
Upcoming Schedule:
September 6 & 20, October 4
Admission is $5.50.

Gymboree of Quincy will hold a complimentary
play session for parents and babies at 9:00 a.m. before the film presentation.

Showcase Cinemas Lowell
32 Reiss Avenue
August 23rd feature is MARCH OF THE PENGUINS
Rated: G
Upcoming Schedule:
September 6 & 20, October 4
Admission is $6.00.

Showcase Cinemas Warwick
1200 Quaker Lane, Warwick, RI
August 30th feature is
Rated: PG-13
Upcoming Schedule:
September 13 & 27, October 11
Admission is $5.50.

�FREE PARKING! �Dim lighting to allow for easy child care in the auditorium
�Movie volume will be lowered for babies' sensitive hearing �Baby changing stations
�Area for strollers �Food cart offering breakfast goodies and concessions for sale
Old 08-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #72
Trasaris
Parent on Board

Thanks for the info, sounds good.

I would caution against March of the Penguins. I took my 2 daughters and 2 of their friends to that and they only lasted about half way. Its a documentary, was real interesting, at least the fist half, but the kids were really bored. I also heard that it gets pretty sad and graphic too.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:52 PM   #73
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

When are you due HMCR? This summer is NOT the one to be pregnant during you poor thing..... (not poor thing for being preggo but my ankles were my feet when I was pregnant in the summertime!)

Bobby, that girl is obviously lacking some braincells, but glad you found out nice and early into it!

Let's just keep trying on the get togethers, can't hurt right?

So what is everybody doing this Saturday night?
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:58 PM   #74
Trasaris
Parent on Board

My kids arent going with mom this weekend. So its not a good weekend for me to get out.

EDIT

I can go out if we include kids...
Old 08-22-2005, 08:09 PM   #75
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I'm at this point only under the assumption my kids are going with dad one night and that night would be Saturday.....

If we plan far enough ahead do people have any babysitting options? (I have very few but with a good block of time I can usually pull it off, sometimes anyway)
Old 08-22-2005, 08:14 PM   #76
Trasaris
Parent on Board

Because of the mom situation, I never know till last minute on Sat nights. I wont have a babysitter as backup for Sat nights either, because I feel really bad for them when they get blown off, and make it a point to due extra fun things to make up for it.(Yes I spoil them!!!)

I can usualy get a sitter Fri nights though, but dont try to plan around me, if I cant make it, Il try for the next one, or wait for a kid friendly outing.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #77
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Well if we can do a plan-ahead one what is the difference if it is a Sat or Fri? I could care less..... I'd have to find a babysitter eitherway as I wouldn't know if my ex would be taking them...... for instance I probably won't know for sure until late in the week about this weekend.

Now if people are around this Sat, great... if for some reason my ex doesn't take them I'll just sit this one out. But heck, let's keep this going there are a LOT of us!
Old 08-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #78
Trasaris
Parent on Board

Im not sure how far it is for you, but Scoutmom mentioned maybe a night at the drive-in with kids sometime before school starts (scroll up a bit to see it).
There are two drive-ins in this area.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:19 PM   #79
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Wow! A lot of posts today

I have tickets to see the Lowell Spinners with Parents without Partners this Saturday, so I can't be going to anything else that day. I'm up for any other day of the week, although the following weekend my son is going to be with his mom.

I drive in sounds fun. If we all see a movie in a regular theater, it'd be cool if some of the parents could sneak off to a non-kid movie...the 40yo virgin looks really funny...

Later,
Bobby
Old 08-22-2005, 11:32 PM   #80
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

oh my oldest saw March of the Penguins with school and is not interested in seeing it again (maybe in a drive-in though?) She says she enjoyed it but when the little ones said they wanted to go she made it clear she was not sitting through the whole thing againLOL

Hmmmm, funny thoughts in my head about actually putting myself and my girls into the minivan together, "for fun"???????????
Old 08-22-2005, 11:44 PM   #81
Trasaris
Parent on Board

I took a look at whats playing at the drive-in near me. They have 3 screens. One of them has Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Dukes of Hazard.
40 yr Old Virgin is on another. Heres is the link.
http://www.drive-ins.com/showing/ritrust

Probably too soon but Im free Friday night. Iv never brought my kids to a drive-in, Im sure they would love it.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:55 PM   #82
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

For me, if it was with kids I'd have to do it during the day. I'm a bedtime nazi.... 7pm (ok I'll go to 8 or 8:30 in summertime when necessaryLOL)

But, if something got set up at night with or without kids and I could get there without my kids I'd definitely go! (I'm sure I couldnt manage a sitter by Friday night though, although the 40yr Old Virgin looks like a good one!)
Old 08-23-2005, 12:12 AM   #83
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Hmmm...

Well, Rhode Island is 2 hours away from me (I'm by the MA/NH border). I can realistically get out of here by 6PM on a Friday...that'd get me to the movie in time I think...if I'm lucky with traffic...

Would the late drive home be trouble for anyone? Bobby and I would probably stay the night in RI somewhere...we have a pretty good camping setup in our truck...and we know some people down there too...

Later,
Bobby
Old 08-23-2005, 10:16 AM   #84
HMCR
Parent on Board

bobby the drive in in RI is off 146 it shouldnt take that long to get there.
Im due 10/4 SueP, yeah i love the heat but not this summer, i just cant cool off. At least i havent had any swelling-yet
Old 08-23-2005, 02:41 PM   #85
Trasaris
Parent on Board

Im game, its right up the street from me.

If its going to happen, we should probably think of someway to make sure we can find each other. Any suggestions?

Ps
And I will drive by it this week to make sure it hasnt moved!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #86
scoutmom
Board Blazen Parent

scoutmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
Friday nights are usually good for me. If it's kids included I am usually around anytime, it's a bit hard to find a sitter without getting the guilt speach.
I looked up the info for the Mendon Drive-In it's on the web if you want to do a search. It is right on rt 16 easy to get to. They are showing Valiant (pigeon movie) and sky high (my son is dying to see that one), and on the other screen is Skeleton Key and 40 yo Virgin.

I like this drive-in alot because it is very clean and family oriented but you have to get there early to park. If I go with a group we get there around 6 and just hang out and play ball or whatever until the movies start. I've never been to one on 146 and have to objections to going there but it doesn't seem quite as nice.

Bobby, Mendon is right off of 495, exit 19. It only took me a little over an hour to get home from Windham NH the other day so it shouldn't bee too far of a drive. If you don't think you could get there until later you could park up in the parking lot at the end of the driveway and sit with one of us down at the drive-in.

As far as finding eachother I would suggest puting a sign in the car windows that say SFV.

Oops typo, I meant to say I have NO objections to the 146 drive-in, just that it doesn't seem to offer as much. But like I said I've never really been there to see a movie. Now my curiosity has got the better of me and I'll have to do a drive by.

The Mendon one has a great snack bar (reasonable $) arcade and clean restrooms. We always hit the food store for snacks before we go anyway, much cheaper. The cost is $20 per car load for the night regardless of what movies you see.
scoutmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #87
Trasaris
Parent on Board

That is probably a bit closer for Bobby and anyone else coming from the north.

I have never been to either, so I have no preference.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #88
HMCR
Parent on Board

well the Rustic is still there Its 17.00 per car load, ive already seen 40 y/o virgin, i got tix from the phoenix and saw the advanced screening it was a hoot. you guys know if you pickup the phoenix on Thursdays they have free movie passes weekly? sometimes you email them and they have them waiting for you at the theater, some times you pick them up in person wherever they say. its always anadvance screening of a movie, this weeks is Brothers Grimm
Old 08-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #89
Trasaris
Parent on Board

Quote:
Originally posted by scoutmom:
[qb] As far as finding eachother I would suggest puting a sign in the car windows that say SFV.
[/qb]
Good idea with the signs.

I like the bring your own snacks idea. Last time I had movie theater popcorn I was out sick the next day......Plus Friday night is mandatory Pizza night for me!

Forgive my ignorance, the last time I went to a drive-in was to see Airplane (I feel old)
Do they have an area where you can setup chairs and sit outside, or are you pretty much stuck in cars once the movies start?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:02 PM   #90
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Wanna hear a funny?

I have never ever ever been to a drive-in movie! (and it has nothing to do with my age unfortunately LMAO there was one right on Main St. when I was growing up)