Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey 12 yr old w/menstration issues - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Tweens: 10 - 14

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
lmasure Female
I am New

lmasure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 12 yr old w/menstration issues

Hello everyone - I'm new to this board and have a serious question here because I'm at a total loss. My daughter just started her period a few months ago. The first 2 months she barely bled at all, normal, then the third period she finally began a "regular" period which lasted 5 days. Started a little heavy then tapered off like it's supposed to.

This period above had started on Nov 11 and lasted thru the 15th. Then, on Thanksgiving day she started yet another period - (the 25th) and is STILL bleeding! She's on her 9th day now and it doesn't look like it's letting up at all. Last nite her pad leaked thru to her bed, though not a big amount. I looked at the pad and asked her if this is about how much she's been bleeding during this period and she told me this was light compared to when she first got it and up until the day before.

The problem is it's been 9 days so far, and isn't letting up enough to know that it'll be over soon, and aside from her being a little scared, I'm wondering if this is normal at all to get a double period in the same month, and for her to bleeding so darn much! I can't remember from when I first got mine - all I know is I was a lot older.

She is very athletic, thin, and does Tae Kwon Do 5 days a week, which 2 of those days is pretty intense training. I'm surprised she got her period so early because of this, but she did.

If anyone has any insight into whether this is normal - (also, when I used to get my period, mine lasted for 10 days too...) or if I should take her to go see a gyno asap.

I'm really at a loss here and would appreciate any help or insight into this problem!

Thanks!
Laurie
lmasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Re: 12 yr old w/menstration issues

Um, I have no experience with such irregularity, but I would definitely be calling her doctor and making an appointment. EVEN if it's all deemed normal for her, it would put your mind at ease. If it's something more, it's best to find out!
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
lyndz7 Female
Setting New Standards

lyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond repute

Take her to the Gyno...Anything irregular should be checked out by them.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I've always had longer periods, but in this case I would absolutely check in with her dr. My guess is, this will not be the full norm and it is a little heavier than what will be her typical due to her body just beginning this process and the first two being much lighter than this one. I hope this is not her norm and is just part of the adjustment process into a regular, easy to deal with period. I have very long and very very heavy periods and always have...not fun and I pray my girls don't end up following suit.
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Joining the choir....take her to the Dr. And WELCOME!

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
nadee_09 Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

nadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a long cycle time and too frequent... I would take to the dr for sure!
nadee_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

The frequency doesn't bother me, the amount does. AND -- as an athlete, she should experience lighter periods. I think a doctor's visit is well in order.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Tazie Female
Board Blazen Parent

Tazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant future

Welcome...periods are a tricky thing and can be set off by almost anything, I think that you should take her to the doc just to make she is ok and to ease your worries.
Tazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
momofTDR Female
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I agree with LSL. I was super athletic and I didn't start till I was 17...of course, most of that was genetics, but I never had heavy periods till I was almost 30. I'd take her in, just to put your mind at ease if that's what is needed.
momofTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I agree with all above, please take her to a Gyno a.s.a.p
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
lmasure Female
I am New

Thanks everyone for your responses. As I see, everyone suggests I bring her to see a gyno, which I will be calling for one on Monday. Today she said it's just "a little" lighter, but still quite a bit for being on her 10th day.

I was a lot more athletic than her and I didn't get my period until I was 16. Because I swam competively and lifted weights 5 days a week, I really was a lot more athletic than she is now, so I'm not really surprised she got it this early. With me however, because I had hardly any body fat, I would get my period about every 6-8 months and would have it for at least 10 days... it was very irregular.

She really hates doctors, which surprises me because she never gets sick and I can't even remember the last time I took her to see one. Anyway, I told her this morning that she would be seeing a gyno regardless as soon as I can get an appointment, and that I was going to be in the room with her. I promised I'd sit up by her head and wouldn't be able to "see" anything, which really embarrasses her; she pouted but agreed to it. Typical for her.

So, thanks again for everyone telling me what I already thought - take her to a doctor... and I will be. I'll post any problems she has or whether it's just normal for her or normal for beginning a period considering she's only had 3 so far with this one being the 4th.

I really do appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks again!
Laurie
Old 12-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Mommyofone Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Mommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant future

i suggest a checkup with the dr just to see what is going on... i am irregular... i can go months and not have one and im talking lots of months... when i first started my mom freaked out cause she noticed that i didnt have one for 7 months.. and there are times i will go 3 days and times ill go 7 days and sometimes light sometimes heavy.... and that is normal for me... i hope everything works out tho...
Old 12-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #13
gem20kbb Female
Board Blazen Parent

gem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond repute

WeLcOmE first

Good to hear you will be taking her to a gyno. I currently work in labor and delivery but before this worked for an OBGYN for 3 years. They should definately be able to help get this regulated and birth control may be a great option for her. NOT becasue of sexual activity ( I am just assuming she is not sexually active ) birth control can help regulate periods and the heaviness of them. Some parents automatically dismiss the idea because they think birthcontrol=sex, not always true.
gem20kbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
lmasure Female
I am New

I was thinkink just yesterday that the pill may indeed regulate her. I know she's not having sex and right now am not worried about that part of it.

Thanks again for the responses.
Laurie
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
lmasure Female
I am New

Well, I called a gyno recommended to me, and told the nurse of all the problems with her period. She said she may not need to come in at all but would talk to the dr. When she called back she said the doc wanted to see her, so we've got an appt for next week. Thankfully they said she'd probably not have to have a pap done, so that eased the stress level for my daughter, Emma, thank God. She's still nervous, but I'm going in with her regardless of what they do to her.

Thanks again for everyone's input - very helpfull...!
Laurie
Old 12-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
AamyluvroN Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

AamyluvroN has a brilliant futureAamyluvroN has a brilliant futureAamyluvroN has a brilliant future

that's good. My periods have been irregular since I was 9 years old. I started at 9 didnt have one again until I was 11. Regular then started heavy around the age of 17. My doctor put me on Yasmin and that regulated and lighten my periods from that point on. Diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 20 and my periods come when they feel like it. You did right, her doctor will fix her right up.
AamyluvroN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
Celenaplus6 Female
On the Board

Celenaplus6 has a brilliant futureCelenaplus6 has a brilliant futureCelenaplus6 has a brilliant future

Hi, Imasure and welcome! I also have been having problems with my daughter and her periods. She started at age 11. My 15 year old has yet to start. I was 12 when I had my first. I do think you can get her checked out, but I don't think you need to worry. Abby hasn't had a period in 2 months..this after leaking out everywhere for 4 months! Every woman is different and every period is different when first starting. These tend to regulate over time. I know from my own experience (and I've had 6 kids) that the only real thing that regulates them is some sort of birth control. Because my daughter is so young and her sister who hasn't menstruated yet) the doctors hesitate to force regulation until after the age of 16.
Hope this helps!
Hugs
Celenaplus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #18
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasure View Post
Well, I called a gyno recommended to me, and told the nurse of all the problems with her period. She said she may not need to come in at all but would talk to the dr. When she called back she said the doc wanted to see her, so we've got an appt for next week. Thankfully they said she'd probably not have to have a pap done, so that eased the stress level for my daughter, Emma, thank God. She's still nervous, but I'm going in with her regardless of what they do to her.

Thanks again for everyone's input - very helpfull...!
Laurie
I've been thinking about this and how overly anxious my 11/12 yr old would be about an appt like that. So glad to hear they likely won't do a pap. i'm thinking information is the key at this point and they'll want to watch how it progresses over the coming months. A giant PHEW! Poor kiddo, I didn't have my first gyn exam until 16 or later and it was terrifying at that age. HUGS!
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #19
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

yeah, I am glad too... I had to take my daughter in for some female issues.... seems she has cysts on her ovaries already pre-period. The doctor made it very clear they would only do a pap if it were emergency issues, but at that age, they don't want to do that. Pain is one reason, and fear that it instills as well. The longer you can wait, the better off the girl is.

I will say one thing.... I think putting a child that young on birth control is not the answer. Hormones are the reason that many girls are developing too soon. Birth Control is not risk free. Please do your studying before doing something like this.