Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey IT - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Tweens: 10 - 14

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
Borealis Male
Board Blazen Parent

Borealis is on a distinguished road
Default IT

Both DD's are fairly well connected w/ information technology. Cell phones, laptops, e-mail, FB. Yeah they fibbed on the age. J and I discussed it and monitor it. We talked as much as appropriate without hampering their innocence. My younger daughter asked me if she could post on you-tube, with her classmate. Classmates Dad, our neighbor is a local detective. IDK if he was privvy to this request or the girls cooked it up on their own or not. Next time I see him I'll be sure and bring it up. What concerned me is that dd thought it was no big deal. And she was po-ed I wouldn't let her do it. To me it was no for obvious reasons. When discussing it we had a sit down and older dd understood easily and younger dd still didn't. She's not mature enough to get it. Anyway, I'm not looking for validation but I do have a question. Is this commonplace? Am I an old fart out of step with whats going on with the youngsters?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: IT

I honestly don't know the answer to your question. You mean post a video of themselves? I don't think I would have a big problem with it as long as I monitored what was shown and was postive that they couldn't be identified and "looked up". Thinking I wouldn't want them to know how to do it, either, but they probably already do.
IDK, though...I'd be doing what you are doing. I'd ask here and see if there are risks I haven't thought of.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

not sure what to say, my boys upload the videos that i take of the team, but there FB is set to private so only the kids at school can see. All really all you see is them runing up and down the felt, and my comments, like :thats gotta hurt" or OMG is he alright" stuff that make the kids laugh and comment about me to each other... oh well...

Maybe the girls can just post it to their FB and keep it private like my boys do?
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Borealis Male
Board Blazen Parent

FB posting is way more my speed. Their settings are for friends only. You tube is another story. To me there is no privacy with it. And it would have been done on the neighbors account, the detective. Him and his wife are good people, our kids play together often and we can see eachothers homes thru the ally. My beef was that the girls just wanted to be goofy, silly,cut-ups, clown around with words and sounds etc. Younger dd is naturally that way. Worried that she might emberass herself and regret it. Also I wouldn't have been there when it was being done. This came to light friday but is still coming up with her and I like a bad penny. I'm starting to get frustrated and am about ready to use the "because I said so" line. IMO she's just not mature enough yet and I would want to see the silly acting happen. My x J is even more reluctant than I am about it. Her attitude with it has me concerned that wanting to post a video so nonchalanlty is now commonplace. I don't think it is.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
Mommyofone Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Mommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant future

I would just be concerned that it would open other doors in a sense.... im cautious anyways with online services but with fb you can block alot youtube... ya not so much n i would be concerned about the perverts. I think if anything that if you had access to the account and were able to see all videos before they are posted. I dont think they quite understand what can happen with a simple mistake online. It can come back to haunt you. that o i would never do that and then later down the line some goof talks them into it. Ive seen people were they were just trying to take a picture of themselve but there was a odd thing in the picture and then its all over the net. Like the girl that took a photo of herself in the bathroom and there was poop in the toilet. If that was me i wouldnt want that all over the net being emailed all over the place.
Mommyofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I don't allow DD to post to you tube. She has wanted to and I have said no clearly several times.......I just think it's not safe. And with privacy issues being nonexistent, then they have to deal with being teased and so on as well if someone runs by it from school. Also, you never know what will give the girls away about location or what they say, and there are scary people in this world.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
Borealis Male
Board Blazen Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSL View Post
I don't allow DD to post to you tube. She has wanted to and I have said no clearly several times.......I just think it's not safe. And with privacy issues being nonexistent, then they have to deal with being teased and so on as well if someone runs by it from school. Also, you never know what will give the girls away about location or what they say, and there are scary people in this world.
Those are my exact concerns. And my DD was quite adament about wanting to do it, it not being a big deal, and totally not understanding any potential consequences. The idea of it being cool and having a casual attitude like it's ok, accepted bothers me. DD seems to think I'm out of step out of touch with whats happening. Oh well- you're still not doing it.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
acraisydaisy
Parent on Board

acraisydaisy is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't allow my kids to post on youtube either. It is open to the world wide web. I have had enough internet scares with my daughter over the last year with just kids chat sites. People are sick. Now..with the latest issues with my daughter, she may have posted something on there without me knowing it. I sure hope not. People are cruel and so many of them say things that do more damage then good.
acraisydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
lyndz7 Female
Setting New Standards

lyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond repute

i would be cautious too...
Again as someone said you never know when i can come back to bite you, even an innocent "skit" I'd keep everything on FB where you can monitor and keep things more private...
Old 03-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

FTR: I'm pretty sure you can disable peoples ability to comment on youtube....but from what I have read here I have personally decided that I wouldn't allow it either. There are apparently much safer compromises that can be made.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

My son has videos on youtube. Our rule is no face shots, no clues to whereabouts. I monitor his account. Which reminds me, I need to visit youtube

There are "haters" out there who say nasty things, no doubt.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Mum2One Female
On the Board

Mum2One is an unknown quantity at this point

My DS is 12, I won't let him have fbook or do too much online (was a lot easier until last week when we didn't have the internet haha).
I am protective, but I also am very open about why I am that way. I discuss the dangers with him.
I wouldn't let him on youtube either, and I don't think you're an old fart for not letting your daughter, especially if she doesn't get why you're concerned.
Mum2One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
Virgo69 Female
A Cuddly Porcupine

Virgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
Those are my exact concerns. And my DD was quite adament about wanting to do it, it not being a big deal, and totally not understanding any potential consequences. The idea of it being cool and having a casual attitude like it's ok, accepted bothers me. DD seems to think I'm out of step out of touch with whats happening. Oh well- you're still not doing it.
oh to live in the world of the innocent again where bad things happen, but not to me mentality. All part of growing up. Good job standing your ground. There are way too many methods of tracking these young girls down and doing inappropriate things.
Virgo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
smalltownmom Female
On the Board

smalltownmom is a jewel in the rough

I am so not looking forward to this stage. Good for you Borealis.
smalltownmom is offline   Reply With Quote