Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Advice on making new friends? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Relationships¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Friendships

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
stargazer Female
I am New

stargazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on making new friends?

Looks like a lot of other people are in the same boat as me. Just wish we all lived closer to one another!

I need friends! After my divorce I pretty much lost all of my friends from those days. I moved back home and since being here I have not been able to make any new friends. Well, that stuck anyway. I'm not the type of person that leaves her child to go have a good time or whatever. I feel like if I can't bring my toddler with me then there's no point in going. That's where the barrier is formed with a lot of people I've met. I live in a small town and there are no play groups nearby. I'm currently not working. And well, people don't exactly walk up to you in Wal-Mart and ask to be your friend. If someone did I would probably stare blankly then walk away slowly...

I'm easy going and easy to get along with. I'm open minded and can be friends with just about anybody. But it would be so nice to have some other single parent friends. Ya know, people who understand what I'm going through and can relate.

Advice?
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:43 AM   #2
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Advice on making new friends?

have you tried any churches in your area ? or mommy and me groups ? we are always here too, but i get that one on one face talk. Maybe trying some childcare centers and posting your own playgroup?

welcome to the board, glad you found us.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
bluewave Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

bluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

hi stargazer,
some of my friends have kids the same age so we hang out together, kids and moms. i'm friendly with some of the moms at our sunday school, like motherboard suggested, might that be a possibility?

the other thing is--sometimes it's good to have 'adult' time. i understand not wanting to ditch your child at any moment, but a planned activity with just adults is appropriate and important for you, as a mom, too. just a thought...are you into the outdoors? hobbies? maybe you could find some kind of class or hobby group and once a week or once a month or however they meet, you could do that. do you like to read? arts & crafts? maybe there's a book club at your local library, or a community center that offers a recreational class.
bluewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
Mariem444 Female
I am New

Mariem444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stargazer,
Our family friends left with my ex. It was difficult.
Hope these things help you- tees are some of things I did to make friends-
I went to a church after a couple of years even though I never been in my life and started to make friends there. I made it point to talk to parents of children that my son liked --( if I approved) if they could have play dates, or go to the movies etc. slowly your friends will branch From there because you will meet people from them. I also volunteer when my son is in school to feel like I have a social life even though I may not go out but it puts me touch with people and makes me communicate with people plus I learn new skills! You may even meet a friend! Just think about whet you like to you do-- homeless, children, environmental, help at a school, help at a church- there are so many non-profits that need help.
I have also met moms at library story times or family events like at a museums wherever there are family events going on. Last week I went to the zoo and I walked around the zoo with a mom who I just happened to meet that day because her child was the same age as mine. Go to free family events and comment on mom's child or clothes and start a conversation ! I'm sure there many moms like us who would adore mom time with a friend .
Google "meep up" in your area for single moms in your area. See if any single mom groups or play groups there. It's a great resource for groups. You can even start your own group there if you want to. I also meet a lot of great moms at parks when I take my son to the park. Always start conversations-"how old is your child"- "etc and we bring balls and other toys that will include other children. I only have one son so he always wants to play with someone!!
Hope that helps a little Stagazer!
Take care.
Mariem444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
Braindad Male
I am New

Braindad is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting post? As a single dad I must say there are not too many social groups that lend to a single father ! I mean think about it? Two dads walking down the park together to discuss their life. Not happening. I found as a single divorced father, you are pretty much on your own and society lends to single women but a stand up guy might as well suck it up and live the best he can and hope to make new friends outside the divorce. It is what it is but if a man would come up and start talking to single mom's he would be considered a weirdo and most guys do not want to hear it. Don't blame them at times. Work would be a great place but when you are a top manager it get's a little lonely when you cannot mix business and pleasure. Good note? Don't have one....
Braindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
bluewave Female

bluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Hi braindad,
just curious how old are your kids? i find that making friends with other parents, either moms or dads can happen--but that's probably because the kids are little. when they're older i'm sure my dds won't want me hanging around, ha ha ha.

also, i have a really good single dad friend who goes to the single parent meet up group--it's all focused on activities for the kids, hiking, bowling, swimming, etc, and he's even hosted a few, and it's not weird at all! So just wanted to put my two cents in about that...maybe there's something like that in your area?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:32 AM   #7
starsmiles Female
I am New

starsmiles is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried finding an old good friend from grade school that I lost touch with and it ended up we had very similar situations in our adult lives and now chat and meet when we can. Volunteering was another great option I saw someone suggest. Living out in the country there were no meet up groups but there was a divorce support group at a church in town so I started going to that and met some great people. Wish you great friends in the future!
starsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
artsy mom Female
On the Board

artsy mom is a glorious beacon of lightartsy mom is a glorious beacon of light

My own mom told me it's important for kids to see their parents socialize so they know it's okay to have friends and be a parent, and more importantly, you are not always going to be there to play with them at every whim and they will be okay. Plus, there could be other's with kids the same age and that makes it all the better.
When I was a kid, I didn't have many friends in school that wanted to hang after school and I always seemed to have 1 friend who lives across the street but doesn't go to my school. I would get so excited when my mom brought me over to one of her friends and there would be someone else around the same age as me. I actually got along with them better and shared more in common than the others.
artsy mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #9
jazzd1 Male
I am New

jazzd1 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's probably a few people in your town that's in your shoes But the issue is finding them..Without putting an ad in the local paper and things like that, just volunteer at your local community center, church function ect..Is all about putting yourself out there so you can increase the chances of meeting the type of people that you're looking for but in a safe way and in a safe environment..
jazzd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #10
LDsDad Male
Board Member

LDsDad is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Advice on making new friends?

Same boat here. Ex's large family were all close and always around - and my son loved in. My fam is much smaller, older, and not as close (not around all the time). So after the split - all those relatives (ex's) who were always around, aren't anymore. I prefer fewer, deeper friendships, so have very few, and being more introverted, it's been challenging getting "out there" to make new friends. Been trying to find Meetup groups in the area, but alas, as Braindad said, most lend themselves to single moms, and very few to dads.

South Jersey here, and would love to find a group of like guys (single dads) to get together with, or just chat and hang with. Nothing I can really find.
LDsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #11
bluewave Female

Hi lds dads, you may want to try and give the single moms group a chance, just reach out to the administrators and see if there are single dads that come to their events...and, if not, maybe make your own meet up? I just responded to your other string about my single dad friend who s tarted up a group, they have lots of fun!

It comes with time...and you're newly separated, so take it one day at a time. Celebrate what may seem 'little' but are actually big victories...spending time with your son, tucking him into bed, making dinner for the two of you... Hang in there! It does get easier with time <3
Old 03-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
LDsDad Male
Board Member

LDsDad is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I've been scarce lately, between work, the little one, and the legal stuff - has been a bit hectic. Happy to say, end of last year I started in a local low-impact sport, and have been getting to know the people there pretty well - a great bunch. Not so much "friends" yet, but people I look forward to seeing when we play. I'm hopeful that with time, some of these friendships will transition beyond the courts...

Have been getting to be better friends with some of the little guy's friends' parents, too. We all keep in touch about school, homework, etc. So, there's that.

Just wanted to jump in and also say - for those of you who celebrate - Happy Easter! Enjoy the holiday (yeah...a little late on this one, as it's mid-pm here... LOL)... Don't have little man today (consensual), but had time Fri and Sat, so we had our own little pre-Easter - egg-hunt and all. :-)

Taking this moment to shout out "thank you so very much" to all that have hung in there during my plight, responding with kind support and advice. Couldn't have made it through - this far - without you. Thanks again!
LDsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #13
DaddyCakes Male
The Other White Meat!

DaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Another fun type of activity that even little kids can get into is Fishing! Perhaps see if there's a fishing meetup group, you'll get out, fresh air and fishing fun for you and the little one!
Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
MamaStrong Female
I am New

MamaStrong is an unknown quantity at this point

There is an app called 'Nextdoor' that connects you to people in your neighborhood. Maybe look into that and put feelers out. Suggest playdates or meetups for dinner. The key to making friends is putting yourself out there, not expecting tons of responses at first.
MamaStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:36 AM   #15
Joss Robbins Female
Learning to Surf The Board

Joss Robbins is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, its a good idea to make friends. You can find it anywhere but be sure to choose the right ones.
Joss Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote