Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Gotta get this out - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Young Adults: 18 - 25

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Gotta get this out

and once again ya'll are the lucky recipients.

So one of my girls has been going through a seriously hard time the last few months. She has been having severe anxiety, insomnia, mood swings. She has little patience with the kids, panic attacks. There was even a night I had to get an SFV friend to call another SFV friend and ask him to call me because because I didn't know what to do and he was the only person I could think of who I knew had experienced something like that with their child. Thanks, Don, Sara, and Pann, btw. And thanks mom, for having this place so I had someone to call on to help me know what to do.

So she has been seeing a counselor, the same one M has gone to off and on. I won't say she is anti-medication, but she doesn't push it. Well, she told DD last week that she HAD to get on medication and begin to stabilize before she could hope to have much improvement. She tested off the charts for anxiety and has severe depression.

So today she went to a psychiatrist for medication. They told her she has dangerously low serotonin levels. She has OCD (which we already knew she had those tendencies, no surprise there), and they told her she is bi-polar. I don't know if I agree with the bi[polar diagnosis, but I am not the doctor.

Interestingly this was after my post about meds this morning, so somehow the planets aligned, Nadee posted her SAD post, and I was already thinking about medication before any of this happened.

So she came in my office and just cried because this means meds for a long time, or for her entire life even. She has to take 2 meds to begin with. The doctor wants to address the OCD and anxiety and get it stabilized and see where the depression stands after. I know from my mom that bi-polar patients sometimes don't react to anti depressants the way non bi-polar patients do. The hope is that the depression will improve when the anxiety does. btw- she is my stepdaughter, not a blood relation so my moms bi-polar has nothing to do with hers.

It broke my heart to see her heart broken over this. I made her look me in the eye and I told her this is not a bad thing, it is the beginning of feeling better. If half of what they told her is accurate, then it is amazing she is functioning as well as she is. I used my diabetes analogy with her that I gave ya'll earlier. I also used a cancer analogy - if you had cancer, you would treat it. What is wrong with you isn't any more your "fault" than if you had cancer or diabetes. You know, and the journey can begin to get the right medicines for you. ____, they might even get lucky and hit the medication right the first time around.

She will be going monthly and having blood work done. They will monitor her closely. I am very comfortable with this doctor and her reputation. Also with her straightforwardness and careful monitoring. She is also sending her to another doc to check her blood sugar and her cholesterol. I have no idea why her cholesterol or what that could have to do with anything, but I understand why they want to check her blood sugar.

I think I just needed to get this out. You don't want this for your kid. Don't want them to have to endure this kind of thing. I am glad she is getting help, and I am proud of her for facing this and dealing with it head on.

Thanks for letting me get it off my chest, now maybe I can get it out of my thoughts a little.

Last edited by idig; 03-09-2010 at 11:02 PM.
idig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Borealis Male
Board Blazen Parent

Borealis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gotta get this out

Kudos for getting medical help. I agree 100%, cancer or diabetes we'ld treat immediately. Emotional mental health is just as important. I just posted about my reluctance to try meds and the one med I took that worked so well. This would be a shock to anyone to get this news. I'm sure it's hard to face right now. Hugs for you and your daughter.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

idig, Prayers out for you and DD. The hardest step is the 1st step and admitting help is needed.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Oh Idig, I'm so sorry for DD and for all of the pain this has caused you both. Also, so happy to hear that if it had to happen that at least she is willing to get treatment and that she has you to help her. That is SO important. It's very hard to help yourself when you are so very depressed.
I didn't know they could actually test your seritonin levels now. Wow. I would think that would take alot of the guesswork out of finding the right meds, no?
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Oh idig, I am so sorry..........hugs to you.

Daughter could be bi-polar. I know your mom had it, but they are finding that there are three types of bi-polar, one of them has people more in the major depressive episodes.

Even if you are not anti-med, it is still hard to look at the drugs as an option. I know, I have been on anti-anxiety and anti-depressants for a few years now. I did not want to be on it at all, but when I went in, I was close to a nervous breakdown and actually went to the ER one night as I thought I was having a heart attack, nope, it was a panic attack. I cried too when my doctor said I would be on the meds for a long while, maybe forever. Took me a long time to be grateful they are an option and made me feel better after several weeks.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

It isn't the level of serotonin, it is the reuptake of it, sort of like the way your brain absorbs it, from my understanding. There is a blood test for it, but the symptoms are more of an indicator.

I think there are different kinds of uptake problems making different brains react differently to meds. My understanding is that you can test normal for the presence of serotonin but your brain isn't taking it up correctly. I think, if I understood correctly, OCD tendencies are a strong indicator of poor serotonin uptake or of lack of serotonin, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately it is educated guesswork on the meds. Hopefully they will hit it right the first time or at least soon. They didn't test her serotonin, but her records from her counselor along with the symptoms she has strongly suggests her uptake is off or her levels are low. Thatis what I understood and read with the information given.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Oh Idig, what a week you have had! You didnt even say anything on the phone (i was talking too much wasnt I). God love her, what a hard time she has had lately. So glad she has you to talk to. It must be overwhelming but the fact that you are there as her mother, to tell her it is ok is amazing. I hope she gets to feeling better soon and in turn a bit of your anxiety will be relieved too!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Oh Sara, no you weren't talking too much. I was talking too much about work! I was going to call you back and tell you, but then she called and then I was home eating with M and well, you know how it goes.

LSL, I missed your post last night, we must have posted at the same time.

I didn't know that about bi-polar. Other DD came to tell me she sounded really down when they talked on the phone just after her app't. I told her they probably told her she's bi-polar as that seems to be the popular diagnosis right now. I wasn't aware they are now saying there are 3 types. That would explain why I hear that diagnosis so much these days.

Another reason they think bi-polar is her reaction to a couple of anti-depressants which she has tried in the past.

It doesn't matter what name they give it, as long as it directs them to help her. The meds are astronomical. Insurance is out of pocket then 80% re-imbursed. Looks like meds expense will be replacing diaper expense as the 3 year old is potty training and then some. Always something.

Anyway, forgive my incoherent rambling this morning. I'm trying to take my own advice and view this as a good thing. That she is getting help. I am just scared. I am scared she will not stay with the meds, scared for what reactions to them she might have to go through before they find the right ones. I'm borrowing trouble and need to stop and let things be what they will be.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by idig View Post
I'm borrowing trouble and need to stop and let things be what they will be.
I do that ,too. Get all worked up about things that might happen but also might not, I mean.
The cost of the meds...yeah, it's through the roof. That's a BIG reason why I am not running to the Dr. myself right now.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Blue, lots of good generics out there.

Abilify is the one DD is starting that is so expensive. $473/month at Walmart before the insurance re-imburses 80%.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

idi, when my son was diagnosed with diabetics I had a hard time. Was mad, I did not want my son to have it. I realize now that his body is missing insulin and why. I have a healthy happy kid with a treatable condition. Your DD is somewhat the same, our bodies need balance. When the body can not produce or use natural chemicals then we humans have try to do what God made our bodies to do automatically.

I am thankful that medicine has progressed to where we can treat these problems. I don't see #4 son as a sick or diseased child, just he needs medication to keep him balanced. In his case it's Blood Glucose, in your DD's case it's serotonin or other chemical.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
nadee_09 Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

nadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm borrowing trouble and need to stop and let things be what they will be.
Oh God, Me too. I make issues when there are no issues there...

Idig, I am really sorry and can very much relate. I hope your DD gets to feeling better real soon. HUGS to you!
nadee_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
pann71 Female
Board Beacon Parent

pann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelpann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelpann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelpann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelpann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelpann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelpann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelpann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelpann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelpann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelpann71 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I am glad that she is getting help!!

When you mentioned her not wanting to take meds everyday, I immediately thought of having to take the pill everyday....so hate it!!

I understand how she feels, it is like that pill will remind her everyday of her illness.

You can tell her that not one of us is perfect, we all have some kind of problem that we have to deal with..this is hers and thank God is can be regulated!!

I hope they get the meds without having to have too much trial and error!

Self-respect is the cornerstone of all virtue!!
pann71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
Kozzy
Active Board Parent

Kozzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hugs to you and your daughter!
So glad she's getting help, and hope they find out what her true issues are...they do love that bi-polar label these days.
Keep us updated, I'll be thinking of her!
Kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #15
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Im so glad you were able to reach out and get some one to talk to her.

Personally I'm at a lost with that stuff, and he should stop in here once and a while too, ah humm.... see what you can do pann... hint hint...

I usually stay away from threads that tugs to hard on my heart... but wanted to say thank you for including me in your list. Thank you! It was nice to be thought of.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #16
Virgo69 Female
A Cuddly Porcupine

Virgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Quote:
Blue, lots of good generics out there.

Abilify is the one DD is starting that is so expensive. $473/month at Walmart before the insurance re-imburses 80%.
Some of the drug companies offer assistance with their medications. I know I was worried about losing my medical coverage after I had my baby because the MA limits in PA are very low...$442 for family of 2 and the adult loses the coverage. Baby ok for at least first year regardless. Fortunately (okay, that's sarcasm) I don't make quite that from unemployment and I don't get child support so for now I am ok. Sometimes you can get samples from dr. too.
Virgo69 is offline   Reply With Quote