Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Any ideas? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > The Internet

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Any ideas?

My Hulu keeps freezing. It seems to be about "buffering". What the heck is buffering, anyway?
I have abled and disabled pop-ups, I have rebooted, I have done everything I can figure to do...but to no avail. It was working good, but now it's not even watchable :-(.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Borealis Male
Board Blazen Parent

Borealis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any ideas?

Blue idk what bufffering really is. I do know that when the download rate is diminished mine "buffers" and when it's full rate it just loads and plays with that nice quick "whack" sound. Try a speed test and see if your getting the rate your paying for. I'm @ 1meg and sometimes it just slows down for no reason. Unplugging the modem and powering it back up resets it. Heres a link to the test I use and it works good. Let the page load and scroll over a pyramid and test. I use Anchorage first and then Seattle. I can see a difference in the time, latency, based on distance. If your down/upload isn't what your paying for try resetting the modem-it fixes mine.

http://www.speedtest.net/
Old 01-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
jayrc
Learning to Surf The Board

jayrc is an unknown quantity at this point

Buffering is when it downloads a portion of the movie or tv show to your computer, so that it can play locally as more is downloaded, it helps keep the video from stopping dead if you have a slight connection issue.

The internet connection (at least most cable and sattelite services) will slow down during peak hours, think of it as a HUGE pie, and each TV/Internet connection cuts it in two, until there is just a little sliver for you. (my Cable connection was BLAZING fast, then there was a huge amount of advertising in my area, and it has slown down a bit, not enough to make me switch, but I do notice a difference)

You can try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and select Task Manager, click on the Networking Tab, and it will show the percentage of your network connection that is being used currently. (the little graph)

If you are not activly doing anything online and that number is 1% or higher that means you have some things in the background using up your system resources....

Also looking down in the bottom righthand corner of your screen (near your time) you can kill (exit/close) a lot of the extra apps running.

I would also suggest a good spyware/antivirus software, Norton is excellent, but you do have to purchase it (and there is a yearly subscription), I personally use Panda Antivirus. (and have 2 more clients that can be installed if you need a copy)

Spybot Search and Destroy is an excellent FREE Spyware removal tool.

If you have anymore issues please feel free to post here, we will get it figured out .

Jay

Oh and free Antivirus that I have used in the past when looking at friends pc's is an online site:

HTTP://housecall.trendmicro.com/

On the middle of the page you will see "Getting Started with Housecall"

It is a free scan/removal, and it will get rid of most basic viruses in your pc and tell you what the major ones you have are (if you have any that it cannot remove)

At that point the cure is usually a google search or two away.

I really do hope this helps!

Jay - Again

Last edited by jayrc; 01-27-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added Trend Micro information
jayrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Thank you both! What nifty little tricks you have at your disposal. For now, I did the speed check...it was neet, but I didn't really understand what it told me, .
I reset my modem though and will see if that helps. I remember the directions saying to do that now that I think about it. Thanks again...I'll be back if it still doesn't work!
Jay, I have noticed it being slower during certain times...but not enough to kill the function...this was just like dial up slow!

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

malwarebytes is another one to run in addition to spybot. Mom tried itrecently and had the same results I have had. It catches things spybot does not. Also, be careful of look-alike spybot programs!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I second the malwarebytes! Great, great program and cleaned my computer right up.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

What operating system are you on? XP, Vista, Windows 7?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Thank you all for your help. Turns out, the simple turn off, turn back on of the modem was all it took. Great to know that we have so many computer wise folks here, though! I'm sure this will not be the last time I get jammed up, .

Old 01-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Borealis Male
Board Blazen Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post
Thank you all for your help. Turns out, the simple turn off, turn back on of the modem was all it took. Great to know that we have so many computer wise folks here, though! I'm sure this will not be the last time I get jammed up, .
I prefer the term Nerdy Geek and I'm sure the others do too!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
jayrc
Learning to Surf The Board

jayrc is an unknown quantity at this point

It is what I am getting my degree in, call me what you like :P
jayrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Borealis Male
Board Blazen Parent

Jay, no harm intended, just poking fun at myself and trying to instigate a reaction from others. I respect the techno wizards that work on computors! It interests me greatly. I had the techie at my home last night.

Not to but, I didn't want to start a thread and it's relevant.

I've never had a virus until now. I got an e-mail from UPS w/ an attachment that didn't open. Coincidentally i was expecting a package. i called UPS and they had me forward the e-mail because they knew about a virus being circulated and tracking #'s didn't match. Picked up the package that just happened to arrive on the same day, strangely. This was about a week ago. Since then I was randomly getting booted offline and it seemed to be router related. I use AVG and Malwarebytes. Ran a scan and found both a virus and malware. Tech came over last night and removed a couple glitches and restored router functions I missed. Anyway FYI- There is a real viral UPS e-mail out there.