Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Free Child Protection Software? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > The Internet

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Blindsky75
At A loss for Words - NOT!

Blindsky75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Free Child Protection Software?

I'm looking to see if any of you know of child protection software that is offered on the internet and doesn't contain tons of ads or spyware?

Just curious...my 8 year old just got her first email account and likes to surf barbie.com . I just need to know that even though I'm pretty much looking over her shoulder the whole time she's on...well that she can't get into too much trouble when I'm not.

I'd also like to be able to keep track of who and what she's typing. I have access to her account as I set it up, told her it's for family only, but I'd like to have something set up for the future.

"Hope" is the thing
Blindsky75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Singleparentcoach
Setting New Standards

Singleparentcoach is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that if you have a mac computer they have it with their programs.
If you don't have a mac, AOL offers it of course for extra money but apparently it is half decent.
Singleparentcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Trey's Daddy
Lively & Zealous Parent

Trey's Daddy is a jewel in the rough

For a record of what she, or anyone else on your computer is typing, you could install a key logger. The issue with those is that some antivirus programs will catch them and think they are viruses. I have some old key logging software somewhere, let me see what I can dig up. In the mean time, play with that link and see what you find.
"to be nobody-but-myself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make me everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting..." --e.e. cummings
Trey's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Don Male

Don will become famous soon enough

Sky, hopefully someone else will have a good (inexpensive) answer to the parental control type software. I've heard good things about netnanny but it's also about $40. I don't run that sort of thing on her computer but....
Um, as far as seeing everything that's typed etc. Keylogger programs
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Don Male

Don will become famous soon enough

Ah see, TD was posting at the same time. I figured there'd be some parental control ones without the hefty price tag.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
Trey's Daddy
Lively & Zealous Parent

Free key logger....

Keep in mind that any cyberin.....I mean chatting, will be logged as well, so keep it clean missy....
"to be nobody-but-myself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make me everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting..." --e.e. cummings
Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
Blindsky75

Me keep it clean? LOL....I use a different computer anyway. LOL.

Thanks for the logger. If Netnanny is only $40 I may go for it.

I worry about what she gets into at her Dad's more and more though. He asked why I hadn't put her on a MySPACE account.

Ummmm...yeah She's 8!

"Hope" is the thing
Old 05-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
Trey's Daddy
Lively & Zealous Parent

Netnanny, is actually "shareware".....you don't really have to pay for "shareware" they just prefer you did. You have to get an older version of it though. The newer version is subscription and only offers a 14 day trial. There are plenty of others out there that you can try, and if you are going to purchase one, I would do some research first, as netnanny is not the best, and they all run about the same price.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Vinci
I am New

Vinci is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed " Responsible Surfing " on my system. At first I found my 14 year old basically bugging people. No harm. He even looked up Pamela Anderson Bikini....but where this worked out for everyone was when he sent an obnoxious email to a teacher at school. He came home stating that someone must have high jacked his email. I knew his 14 year old friends were not that smart as to know how to high jack an email. He had never lied to us but I knew something was up. I pulled up the screen and basically "busted" him. Long story short, due to the blog pages he was going to, this lie and a few other situations, he realized that he was being monitored. I have had no problem since and his friends think I installed it on their computers as well, when all I was doing was assisting my friends with some minor computer problems. In short, if they think or know that you can monitor them, they will stop doing those things we don't want them to do. We are the parents, let's not forget and they are the children.
Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
Blindsky75

Thank you all for this information!!! I'm gonna check it all out this weekend--as my daughter was grounded from the computer til final grades came out. Her mid-term wasn't so friendly

"Hope" is the thing
Old 06-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
Robin Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Robin has a spectacular aura about

Here some free protection that I know other parents use...

Some below use to be paid stuff, but ... They are doing there own bit to keep kids safe...

These are free...
http://www.k9webprotection.com/download.html

http://www.safefamilies.org/download.php

http://www.parentsonpatrol.org/pop/ProductLine.asp

some paid ones from Parentonpatrol
http://www.safefamilies.org/SoftwareTools.php#CE

I myself use Norton "Full" security center. I like it... but it is costly at 70 upfront than 30 yearly... It has a list of users and you can control all with different allowances and privlages even administartor area.

Robin
Old 07-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #12
fpgurl
I am New

fpgurl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I posted on a different topic earlier about blackflynetworks.com it is a keylogger program but it also records web sites and instant messaging etc...
It is just under $4 a month or you can do a year for $37 or so, there is no initial purchase price though and they are doing a one month free trial so it might be worth checking out to see if it meets your needs.
Also, I've had it on my computer for a few months now and I've had no problem with my anti virus software flagging it - their website said it is undetectable. Hope it helps!
fpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #13
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Free Child Protection Software?

To update the FREE controls.... if you have netgear

Mainsite:
http://www.netgear.com/lpc#

Families with one or multiple computers
Three out of four children between the ages of 5 and 17 use the Internet regularly, and 70% of them access it from home. If you have kids at home, you are an Internet parent and protecting your children from Internet predators and unsafe content should be a top priority.

Anyone seeking an extra layer of protection from phishing and online fraud.

Fiends [childrens, baby sitter, grandparents...] at the house wanting to use your connection to the internet...
To prevent access to undesirable content and conserve bandwidth for intended functions to restrict leisure browsing and increase happiness

NETGEAR® LIVE PARENTAL CONTROLS ~ Video
http://content.webcollage.net/apps/c...true&showtabs=

For Window Users:
http://www.netgear.com/assets/landin...entUtility.zip

Mac
http://updates1.netgear.com/parental...LPCManager.dmg
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
parentjones Female
I am New

parentjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parental control Software

Hi guys, I hope that there is no other similar topic on the forum, I was trying to find some but I didn't manage...
I would like to ask you for some suggestion about the best parental control software. Are you using some ? Which one should I choose? I'm looking for easy to use program and not expensive.

Thanks for every help !
parentjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Parental control Software

here is I list
http://singlefamilyvoices.com/forum/...ad.php?t=12405
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #16
Magick84 Male
I am New

Magick84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Free Child Protection Software?

Hey,

I know it might be a little out of date, but I'd personally recommend you to talk with your children first, and aware them about what they can or can't do while being online. Awareness is the key. Only then, you might think about getting some software, like NetNanny or PCWebControl.
Magick84 is offline   Reply With Quote