Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey ccleaner - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > The Internet

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend
Default ccleaner

This is manly for Mom, but also anyone else who has an opinion. Our Phone/interent people came out last week to swap our switch and router. While checking the connections on our machine he made the comment that we needed to clean the ____ off our machines. I asked him what he meant, if he meant disk cleaner and defragmenter. He then told me about ccleaner, downloaded and ran it on a couple of our machines. It did seem to take off a lot of junk and we haven't had any problems after doing it.

Here is my question, though. He made the comment that since ccleaner runs on start-up and cleans everything up, that running it along with a program from malwarebytes really makes anti virus unnecessary. Of course I am still running antvirus, but just was surprised to hear someone say that.

Mom, what do you think? Anybody else who knows about these things?

Also, would like to know what antivirus people use and like. It is time to buy it for work, and the one I have now is a resource hog. Any suggestions? BTW, we aren't allowed to leave our machines running at night.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
binarian
Setting New Standards

binarian is just really nice
Default Re: ccleaner

Symantec/Norton is still the gold standard. I'm contracting for Fidelity right now and it's what they use and they're security concious to the point of paranoia.
binarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Thank you Bin! What do you know about this ccleaner business?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
humm Re: ccleaner

I can only speak of what i use personally. Ccleaner, love it, been using it for years and years, I dont not have it set up to run at start up, in case i have updates that were installed, and sitting in temp holder. additionally, I just dont trust any program to run on its own, period I run everything before shutting down manually.
I dont use norton since 1998, they were not even aware of web posioning, as i was trying to explain to theit tech of a site, that once i had been infected, was dumping the virus download into my Documents folder and not in a secure area. Thats when i was told about AVG, and they are free, YEA!, they also have a paid version that includeds a rootkit.
One thing that no one seems to know about these days is on statr up of your pc, and go to your shell, everyone should password protect it, but windows start up so fast no one sees the shell, and usually left unprotected.

anyway.. ccleaner it is not a replacement for a virus program, its a ____ cleaner on all the left over files that sit on ones pc that windows lets build up. . I use AVG its free version is wonderful, imo. but in each one just has to watch out for the toolbar option. I also use window defender and firewall, its ok.

I use xp professional media version. I hate vista, and its price tag.

---[idig]you wrote---
He made the comment that since ccleaner runs on start-up and cleans everything up, that running it along with a program from malwarebytes really makes anti virus unnecessary.---/

this is not truth. and yes PC should be shut down, so to dicharge their static buildup, but these days there are differing opions about that. Also a good idea is to unplug the internet connection while down, cause one can still enter a non running pc from the internet, and I personally believe it still saves electric bill

anyway that just my hunble thought on this. I hope it helps.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

It does help. I actually have AVG on all the machines at the office, some have the paid version, some the free. It is just a huge resource hog when it runs and takes forever to scan some of the machines. Mine takes 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. I run Defender too. ccleaner is crrently running on startup on the machines at work, but it doesn't dump Recent Documents or Recycle Bin.

How do you password protect your shell? I didn't even know there was such a thing that needs protecting.

That is interesting about the internet being hooked up to a powered off computer still can access it??? How is that possible?

Thanks for the info!!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

it just a hard drive in float. and no software to protect it. the entering pc will have power.
you have to go to the options and toggle things for start up. You can also sellcet what program to allow to sart up too from there, by disabling the start up programs from it selection box.

i wish Ccleaner had a option to run on shut down that would be great. a hog, idk.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
binarian
Setting New Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by idig View Post
Thank you Bin! What do you know about this ccleaner business?
I just took a look at it. It appears it doesn't do anything you can't do for yourself, delete temp files, clean up registry on hard drive...or course, you have to remember to do it. So it sounds like a convenient tool.
It's true Norton/Symantec was slow on the uptake with the whole spyware thing. But they've caught up now and have a pretty good suite of tools to take care of these things.

Quote:
it just a hard drive in float. and no software to protect it. the entering pc will have power.
Haven't heard this one before...guess it's possible. I think having a hardware firewall, like a router, might forstall this.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

How is Norton on slowing machines down? That is my biggest problem with AVG. Other than that, I have been pretty happy with AVG, though I did have one virus get in one of my machines that was a B to get off.

As for the shell, floaty harddrive thing, that is WAY over my head.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
binarian
Setting New Standards

Norton doesn't slow your machine down in any significant way that I've seen.