Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Computer security urge to turn Off Java - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > The Internet

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Computer security urge to turn Off Java

Latest Java software opens PCs to hackers: experts

Computer security firms are urging PC users to disable Java software in their browsers, saying the widely installed, free software from Oracle Corp opens machines to hacker attacks and there is no way to defend against them.

Researchers have identified code that attacks machines by exploiting a newly discovered flaw in the latest version of Java. Once in, a second piece of software called "Poison Ivy" is released that lets hackers gain control of the infected computer, said Jaime Blasco, a research manager with AlienVault Labs.

Several security firms advised users to immediately disable Java software -- installed in some form on the vast majority of personal computers around the world -- in their Internet browsers.
Computers can get infected without their users' knowledge simply by a visit to any website that has been compromised by hackers

Instructions on turning off Java in your browser are here.

How to Unplug Java from the Browser — Krebs on Security

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

<<<< Fastest Easiest Way >>>>
Easiest way... go to your add and remove program windows area

delete java, all that say Java ...

reboot PC

go to http://java.com and verify if you have java... it will say you dont if you cleaned/deleted it... and install a fresh copy of java....

verify If you have java:
http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Computer security urge to turn Off J

Ahhhhh ****. Thanks for the tip, Mom....I just hate this kind of stuff.

Are we sure this isn't some crud that got put out there by someone who has a grudge against Java?

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

hmmm is re-booting the same as a restart? Just wondering..and yes I am asking that question seriously. I just rec'd a notice yest. to update Java...which i did. Now I read this...LOL
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

no blue, it is not a joke, the article to a legit site with proper credentials was listed. ... you probably have your java set to auto update... and that's ok for what you do with your PC hun.
I think others here have mentioned their java ask to be updated, and they where counting tiles while they waited, its a big update....

But me, what software has a version change, I delete and make a clean place for it.

and yes restart is the same as reboot, but when using reboot in that you restart 10 second after you turn off your pc .

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

oh blue, whatever security software you use, you can just confirm with there site, customer service, or forum... please be safe.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Niequi Female
Active Board Parent

Niequi has a brilliant futureNiequi has a brilliant futureNiequi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherBoard View Post
no blue, it is not a joke, the article to a legit site with proper credentials was listed. ... you probably have your java set to auto update... and that's ok for what you do with your PC hun.
I think others here have mentioned their java ask to be updated, and they where counting tiles while they waited, its a big update....

But me, what software has a version change, I delete and make a clean place for it.

and yes restart is the same as reboot, but when using reboot in that you restart 10 second after you turn off your pc .

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

oh blue, whatever security software you use, you can just confirm with there site, customer service, or forum... please be safe.
\
Oh dear...that was me saying I was counting tiles...it was a joke reffering to "coffee"...I have this way of innocently walking into trouble... ...sorry! Thanks for the info about Java though!
Niequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

oh no trouble, hun.... The browsers software companies did turn off everyone's java plugins [best they could] till the update came out.

Most people would not even notice it, I just just thought you did, i guess...
It was a big discussion at some of my friends networks.

Java has been upgrading everyone with java 7.07

recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 7).

Here you go blue, I Google "browser turned off java, why"

http://www.google.com/search?q=brows...&oe=ISO-8859-1

hope that helps.... Just choose a site you trust, hun.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

an update from Homeland security about the java alert.

Read Here:
http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA12-240A.html

according to the Gov page, IE java plug in should still be turned off.
- again I would suggest to delete it all together - some people may never miss it.

if you would like to check out all known computer alerts from Homeland security...
http://www.us-cert.gov/
Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Any more updates?

Of course the Feds can read any of our e-mails that are older than 6 months without a Judges Signature on a search warrant now anyway.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

not about the java, as its been updated.

But The Adobe Forums has been hacked into yesterday and are off line.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2131275.html
forum off line
http://www.Connectusers.com

and the Google Transparency Report Shows Government Surveillance On The Rise In 2012
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2130494.html

were under attack all the time, here too.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Dad1st4boys Male

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

lovely..... Big Brother is Watching.......

Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

Just an idea of what goes on background

Fun Times...
When I was accompany my kids going through dependance and criminal court with my Ex, I was paying Eve to do all tech support and software updates etc, and it was 200 a month for everything. If Don did nt step up, I probably would had shut SFV down till that mess was over.

Its a lot of work here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stalking%20table.jpg (12.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

Updateing On the Java Issues,,, Java Still dangerous

By Jim Finkle

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:53pm EST

(Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security urged computer users to disable Oracle Corp's Java software, amplifying security experts' prior warnings to hundreds of millions of consumers and businesses that use it to surf the Web.

Hackers have figured out how to exploit Java to install malicious software enabling them to commit crimes ranging from identity theft to making an infected computer part of an ad-hoc network of computers that can be used to attack websites.

"We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem," the Department of Homeland Security's Computer Emergency Readiness Team said in a posting on its website late on Thursday.

"This and previous Java vulnerabilities have been widely targeted by attackers, and new Java vulnerabilities are likely to be discovered," the agency said. "To defend against this and future Java vulnerabilities, disable Java in Web browsers."

Oracle declined on Friday to comment on the warning.

Java is a computer language that enables programmers to write software utilizing just one set of code that will run on virtually any type of computer, including ones that use Microsoft Corp's Windows, Apple Inc's OS X and Linux, an operating system widely employed by corporations.

Computer users access Java programs through modules, or plug-ins, that run Java software on top of browsers such as Internet Explorer and Firefox.

The U.S. government's warning on Java came after security experts warned on Thursday of the newly discovered flaw.

It is relatively rare for government agencies to advise computer users to completely disable software due to a security bug, particularly in the case of widely used programs such as Java. They typically recommend taking steps to mitigate the risk of attack while manufacturers prepare an update, or hold off on publicizing the problem until an update is prepared.

In September, the German government advised the public to temporarily stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser to give it time to patch a security vulnerability that opened it to attacks.

Java is so widely used that the software has become a prime target for hackers. Last year Oracle's Java surpassed Adobe Systems Inc's Reader software as the most frequently attacked piece of software, according to security software maker Kaspersky Lab.

Java was responsible for 50 percent of all cyber attacks last year in which hackers broke into computers by exploiting software bugs, according Kaspersky. That was followed by Adobe Reader, which was involved in 28 percent of all incidents. Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer were involved in about 3 percent of incidents, according to the survey.

The Department of Homeland Security said attackers could trick targets into visiting malicious websites that would infect their PCs with software capable of exploiting the bug in Java.

It said an attacker could also infect a legitimate website by uploading malicious software that would infect machines of computer users who trust that site because they have previously visited it without experiencing any problems.

They said developers of several popular tools, known as exploit kits, which criminal hackers use to attack PCs, have added software that allows hackers to exploit the newly discovered bug in Java to attack computers.

Security experts have been scrutinizing the safety of Java since a similar security scare in August, which prompted some of them to advise using the software only on an as-needed basis.

At the time they advised businesses to allow their workers to use Java browser plug-ins only when prompted for permission by trusted programs such as GoToMeeting, a Web-based collaboration tool from Citrix Systems Inc.

Java suffered another setback in October when Apple began removing old versions of the software from Internet browsers of Mac computers when its customers installed new versions of its OS X operating system. Apple did not provide a reason for the change and both companies declined to comment at the time.

Adam Gowdiak, a researcher with Polish security firm Security Explorations, told Reuters he believes that Oracle fails to properly test its software fixes for security flaws. "It's definitely safer for users to stay away from Java 'til Oracle starts taking security seriously," he said.

(Reporting by Jim Finkle; Editing by Dan Grebler)
source:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90A0S320130111

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

I have deleted java from my system, I don't see much that I am missing these day.

as we move closer to HTML5 less and less java and flash programs will be needed.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

Okay I have read this and re-read...followed some links and still don't understand. I get this icon popping up to update my java ........should I not do it? And if not, how can I get rid of the annoying icon?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #14
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

to delet java

go to
>> start >> control panel >> add / remove software >>> scroll down and look for java >>> remove >>>

some people have multi versions of java, delete them all

reboot PC.

you can always add it @ java.com and click
" do I Have Java "
and add what you need.

you can also have just java plugins without the software.

hope that helps

once html5 is in full force we should NOT have so many problems with stuff like this.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

You can do this, Muskie... you've done it before with other software programs! Think add/delete programs!

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #16
Dad1st4boys Male

Java gone.
Muskie, go to Control Panel..... to Programs... uninstall Java.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #17
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

the google buz around the web...
http://www.google.com/search?q=brows...&oe=ISO-8859-1

why they want to hack our PCs...

Old 02-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

Okay I know how to delete programs......so please bear with me. If I delete it, don't I use java to view pdf files? And when boys use youtube it says soemthing about (I think ) java flashplayer or some such thing. Will I be able to do stuff without it installed here?
I know this stuff is obvious to a lot of people......but trust me, I'm not splitting hairs here, I'm just confuzzled.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

java and flash are two separate software programs.

If you find you need java, and programs will let you know that you need it, then go to
the java site and reinstall a nice clean version .
for java site:

as I stated Earlie, after weeks of having it deleted, i have not had a need for it.

though flash is much needed for what I do, and with that I use Flash block in FireFox
and when flash plays I am given a icon to click to allow it to play.
for that flash block plugin:
{flash is blocked till you allow it to play,}

Firefox plugin:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/flashblock/

for google plugin:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...aignabnl?hl=en
Old 02-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

UPDATE - Feb 25 2013 -------

Java Plugin 7 update 12 to 15 (click-to-play),
Windows has been blocked for your protection.

Java Is still having problems and we are left vulnerable.
if you don’t need Java, uninstall it.

Summary: Amid a serious security flaw in the latest version of Java 7, where even the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has warned users to disable the plug-in, here's how you do it.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-disable-...ac-7000009732/

read more:
- http://www.zdnet.com/security-expert...rs-7000009756/

- http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/0...000-per-buyer/

- https://www.securityweek.com/oracles...ulnerabilities
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

I went to delete the java but.....it said did i want to grant permission for it to run (prior to deletion).........yes or no.......I hedged and just left it for now. So do I say yes (cuz i cannot uninstall if i say no) but would clicking yes do something evil to computer???
Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

is that in your "Add and Remove" windows area ??
If so Im not sure... mine just deletes it... maybe your java is compromised ?!

HEY WooD! TECH SUPPORT!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #23
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

No I had to allow it to run to uninstall some stuff I didnt' want but when I saw it with java i hesitated. Yes, it is in the add/remove program area of windows 7.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
meganut13 Female
Active Board Parent

meganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

So glad I saw this. I've been having this problem for months!!!! Strange thing is....I already did the tip where I deleted all Jave accounts from my computer...but its still comes up constantly (pop up window asking to install latest).

Either daughter going on not real secure sites (I honestly don't moniter much...I know where she goes for most part...although I did lecture her about security ratings that show up)....so its either her, or Java...but past few months I can be on craigslist, other benign sites and we have to endure women offering to be avail. that moment...and there are getting sleazier and sleazier. And then pop up screens that flash so much you can read website content.

I'll try your directions...thanks for posting them.

PS... just a warning..when I used Comcast for highspeed internet the same thing happened AFTER I switched to another local company. They attach other things into their downloads that mess up your computer when you insert diff. program.
meganut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

Try CCleaner.com you can clean and turn off start up programs when PC is loading.
its free and they have a paid version... I use the free... keep my PC clean.

hope that helps.

You can use
http://www.superantispyware.com/

and it will find stuff, again they have a free and paid version.
I also have the portable on flash, so when the kids are having problems with their PC's, I plug my flash in and clean their drives... they get some raunchy stuff stuck in theres
Old 03-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
Dad1st4boys Male

I am running it right now on my laptop... wow. it is finding a pot load.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

20 min of scanning...Quick Scan over 500 threats found and dealt with.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #27
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

and we are here again.... did you start to feel safe using Java again... your not the only one....

----------warning alert ti Java users ------------

Java Deployment Toolkit (click-to-play) has been blocked for your protection.

Why was it blocked?
The Java Deployment Toolkit plugin is known to be insecure and is unnecessary in most cases. Users should keep it disabled unless strictly necessary.
Who is affected?
All Firefox users who have this plugin installed.
What does this mean?

The problematic add-on or plugin will be automatically disabled and no longer usable.
When Mozilla becomes aware of add-ons, plugins, or other third-party software that seriously compromises Firefox security, stability, or performance and meets certain criteria, the software may be blocked from general use. For more information, please read this support article.

Blocked on July 18, 2013. View block request.

-------------------------------------------------

if you can just delete it... if you have bee having trouble playing games, getting work done... well i just deleted java ... and we are back to stream/screaming the INTERNET at 50mbps....

----

tell me about your change in performance.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #28
Dad1st4boys Male

My Sheriff's Office received a tele-type from the DOJ warning NOT to down load any Java.It allows for hackers to get in easy.