Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Support system for single parents - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Michigan

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
tambro1 Female
I am New

tambro1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Support system for single parents

Hi I am new to this site. I am a single mom of 2 boys one is 4yrs and the other is 5 months old. I interested in play dates for my 4 yr. old. Many of the parent groups around are made up of mainly of married couples. I don't think they can truly understand the hardship of a single parent home. I would truly like to meet some single parents and develop a support system. It seems at times I am the only one without a partner. People often stare at me when they see me alone at a restaurant with my boys. I would like to form a circle of single parents group to establish lasting friendships.
tambro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
sgray1 Female
Parent on Board

sgray1 is a glorious beacon of lightsgray1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Support system for single parents

Hello, and welcome! I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we definately understand how you feel about people staring at you in the restaurants...I try to take mine out to Denny's (they love the softball pancakes there ) about twice a month, and the looks I get....Man, I swear if looks could kill. But you know something? You're doing something they probably never got the opportunity to do, they probably never even had kids.
I think it is awesome that you are trying to develop a support system. You're in good hands here, I just started on this site about a week ago, and I have already seen lots of amazing advice and kind hearts.
sgray1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
tambro1 Female
I am New

tambro1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks this site does seem awesome. There is definetly tons of support here. I lived in Miami a few years. My 4 yr old was born there. I hope there are people in my state to create a circle of single parents.
tambro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
Virgo69 Female
A Cuddly Porcupine

Virgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I don't think people automatically assume that every parent alone in a restaurant is a single parent and stare for that reason. Maybe they stare because your children are well-behaved, or they think they are handsome, or they are just nosey people in general. I do agree that parents who have partners are clueless about single parenting. I know I have had discussions about different topics with my married friends and they think that the answers are easier then they are. Particularly when it comes to healthy co-parenting, visitation, and money. You will find lots of support here and I hope you can find some local groups like parents without partners or something to help you build a local network.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgo69 View Post
I don't think people automatically assume that every parent alone in a restaurant is a single parent and stare for that reason. Maybe they stare because your children are well-behaved, or they think they are handsome, or they are just nosey people in general. I do agree that parents who have partners are clueless about single parenting. I know I have had discussions about different topics with my married friends and they think that the answers are easier then they are. Particularly when it comes to healthy co-parenting, visitation, and money. You will find lots of support here and I hope you can find some local groups like parents without partners or something to help you build a local network.
Yup, this summed up what I was thinking.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
kat0673 Female
I am New

kat0673 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I am a very new single parent with 2 little boys. One is 6 and the other is 2. I just want to be the best mom I can be for my boys. It has been the hardest thing to go through. A separation after 16 years of marriage can take a huge emotional toll. The hard part is being strong for the kids when you are going through all this. I hope this support system will help me!
kat0673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
Amy marie Female
Learning to Surf The Board

Amy marie is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a single 27 year old mother with a two and a half year old beautiful little girl and i just became a member last night...ive been reading a lot of these posts and ive gotta say these single parents are amazing and give a ton of support!!...off subject kind of but i took my lilly mae to meet my friend at applebees and she was sooo bad that i didnt get to eat my dinner and the women next to me even tried helping me with her :/...since we were talking about restaurants and people looking i just thought id share that
Amy marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
pneumaphile Female
I am New

pneumaphile is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambro1 View Post
Hi I am new to this site. I am a single mom of 2 boys one is 4yrs and the other is 5 months old. I interested in play dates for my 4 yr. old. Many of the parent groups around are made up of mainly of married couples. I don't think they can truly understand the hardship of a single parent home. I would truly like to meet some single parents and develop a support system. It seems at times I am the only one without a partner. People often stare at me when they see me alone at a restaurant with my boys. I would like to form a circle of single parents group to establish lasting friendships.
Hi, did you ever hook up with anyone for playdates? I've only lived in MI for less than a year, so I'm not sure how close you are to me, but I'm in Oakland County. We frequent several local playgrounds, and we have been spending every sunny afternoon this summer at Spencer Beach, because it's dirt-cheap LOL.

I have 3 boys, and they are 5, 9, and 12. Yours is probably 5 or close to it right now, so if you're still around, and you're geographically close enough, let's hook up.

Amy
pneumaphile is offline   Reply With Quote