Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Help Me Understand? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Support

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 11-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Billabong
Board Blazen Parent

Billabong is a glorious beacon of lightBillabong is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help Me Understand?

Ok I'm confused. First of all weekly I call CS to see if they've mailed me anything since their mail for some strange reason when regarding my case NEVER makes it to my po box. And I hate to because they all seem dumb and clueless, yet won't allow me to talk to anyone else myself they always wanna play middle man.

Anyway, so my sons dad said he got a letter that said I'm suing him for child support. I called and asked what that letter was about and the girl working customer service said it was jsut a letter asking him where he was so they could further contact him about the case and that it probably asked him if he believed he was the father.

I asked her what happens if he doesnt fill out that form regarding where he is or if he says hes not the father. She said he has a right to say "I could be the father, lets do a paternity test" or he could say he's not the father and he doesn't need a paternity test or he could say he doesnt owe me child support because he's taking care of the baby already. I asked her what happens if he says he's not the father and doesnt need a test? She said he has that right. I said yeah but what happens to our a case? She said we go from there.

Uhh .. what?

Do any of you have any idea what could be going on? Do they really send out letters that need to be filled out of their location? If so what happens if he doesn't fill it out?

Also what happens if he says hes not the father? I thought paternity test was not an option that he had to take one whether he admits hes the father or not?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Blossomed
Board Blazen Parent

Blossomed is a glorious beacon of lightBlossomed is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help Me Understand?

I don´t know why it´s like this in the US but here in Iceland men who "possibly" are the father must take paternity test. They can´t choose not to take it. They´re obliged and they need to pay for it if they have a doubt on whether they are the father. Otherwise they can just agree and no paternity test is then needed...
Blossomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Schroed74
Visitor

I believe that even if he denies being the father he will have to prove that he isn't. That will include having a paternity test. They aren't going to just let him say that he isn't the father and take his word for it. If that were the case there would be a lot more men skipping out on their responsibilities with their denials. My 10 month olds father claimed that he was unsure if he was the father knowing all along that he was, it was just a stall tactic for him. He said he wanted a paternity test and after the results came back that he was 99.999% the father, he was stuck with paying the state back for the test. The letter is just a formality, giving him the chance to do the right thing and step up.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Billabong
Board Blazen Parent

That's what I originally thought. Sometimes I think the customer service people aren't even aware of the Child Support laws and make a living confusing people.

Do you guys know anything about the letter asking him his information? Do they do that and what happens if he never fills it out and returns it to them?
Old 11-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

SandSMom28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Girl I just got off work at the new job and logged on to read a few posts and said I would try and catch up tomorrow cuz tomorrow Im off on both jobs but I had to post here and get on you. Girl what did I tell you about listening to customer service...those reps have a script to go off of (here anyways) but I know the wondering you are going through right now and here is a link to when I asked this SAME question here:

http://singlefamilyvoices.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14076

And Im here to tell you right now everything Lisa and AM said about the type of questions were asked on the form and why was the dead on explanation when I called to ask the D.A.' s office and my c.sup case worker they gave me nearly the same response L and A gave me. I'm kind of pressed for time right now b/c I want to respond to any other posts I can...but read that and if you have anymore questions feel free to hit me up k. But what the questions are, what can happen if he answers or doesn't answer depends on your state and situation in some instances but you get a better understanding of what exactly was sent to your ex in that thread. Hope it helps.
SandSMom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
Billabong
Board Blazen Parent

I don't know who else to call because every number available routes to customer service and they always say "I can answer your questions for you .. if you're not satisfied with my response I can leave a note for your case worker and when you call back I can read you her answer"

UUGGGGH. That paired up with them never sending me my mail I'm so confused and have no idea what's going on with my case. I guess every 2 weeks I'm going to have to make the journey down to the local office and ask them if they've sent me anything and to print a copy of it so I know what the freak is going on.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Have you tried calling your local district attorney's office and asking for the support division, for question that even my case worker couldn't answer (like is M required to show up at the confirm default date in January) the D.A.'s office could answer. I asked to speak with the clerk who will be handling that case on that day and she told me that he didn't have to be present for this one and the next date to set the support amt he does have to be present and I will be given knowledge of that day the same day. Things like that, that my case worker hadn't even told me they did. I would suggest you try that. When I call they ask for my social and they look up my case and give me WAY more info looking ahead than my case worker has ever given. I will see if I can find the number for you. Be back in a sec...

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Here is the number of the child support division of your local district attorney's office: (if this is not in your area simple google your city state and district attorney child support office)

Oklahoma-State of: District Attorney-Child Support
110 N Wewoka Ave, Wewoka, OK - (405) 257-6601

Let them know you are in the dark when it comes to finding out updates or becoming more informed on where your case stands should this happen or should this not happen and could someone please be kind enough to enlighten you, for some reason when I say it like that they either giggle or say with great enthusiam SURE! so sorry you don't understand, what is it you don't get? So try that if you have not already.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
mykidisfirst Female
Social Director

mykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant future

wow sands you learn quick!
mykidisfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidisfirst View Post
wow sands you learn quick!
It was you who helped me gain confidence and get started so big ups to you as well!!! Hope your situation is going good also! How is that bill coming?