Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey New & I'm here to ask questions - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Alaska

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Batzy
I am New

Batzy is an unknown quantity at this point
humm New & I'm here to ask questions

Ok I wish I had something to say that could help anyone here, but sadly I'm here to ask questions.

First off I live in Alaska.
I have permission from the father to put his name on the b/c.
What do I have to get from him so I can still do it if he isn't there at the birth (i think he's moving back to Georgia in a couple months)
And if his name is on the b/c, does the baby have to have his last name or can I make the choice?
We are not married and never have been.
Batzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Father's name on birth certificate?

Welcome, Batzy! I don't know the answer to your question, but someone who does will be along soon.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
SingleMom123 Female
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant future
Default Re: New & I'm here to ask questions

I wish I had seen this post earlier. Now it is too late.

My son's father is on the b/c, he was there for the birth, even signed the paper for paternity, but my son got MY last name.

So in short, if the father's name is on the b/c, that doesn't mean your baby has to have his last name (thank goodness!).

You can then get child support though...
SingleMom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

babymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Re: New & I'm here to ask questions

Welcome!
First of all, I am not sure it the rules are different in Alaska, but I will tell you how it worked for me in NJ. My son's father wasn't present for the birth but also wanted to be on the birth certificate. BUT, his word wasn't good enough. He HAD to come to the hospital and sign it himself in a certain amount of days (he came a week after our son was born and signed it) so I am pretty certain the father himself needs to sign the birth certificate.
Second, as for the last name of your child. That is up to you. I gave my son my last name. There was a recent thread about this actually. I don't think the father has much say, especially if he isn't present for the birth when you name your child. But I would look into the laws in your state, as they could be different. I would think they are all the same on this matter tho. When you go to the hospital to deliver, you could always ask the nurse. Best of luck to you and welcome and feel free to ask away!
babymama3210 is offline   Reply With Quote