Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Giving a 3 month old medicine - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Baby's First Year

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
alchni Female
On the Board

alchni is an unknown quantity at this point
humm Giving a 3 month old medicine

So both me and my son ended up with a chest infection and on antibiotics. Every time I try give him his medicine he spits it out..even when I do tiny bits at a time. I'm using a syringe to do it.. and it just isn't working..

I also tried putting a little bit in his mouth and popping his bottle in right away so he wouldn't spit it out but he still manages to drink his formula but spits out the medicine.

Any advice how to get him to swallow all his medicine?
alchni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Virgo69 Female
A Cuddly Porcupine

Virgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel
Default Re: Giving a 3 month old medicine

aim more for between the gums and the cheek and shoot it all in at once (without choking him of course). Kinda like when you give a cat or dog medicine you pull the jaw apart gently and aim for the corner so they don't spit it out. Not comparing your child to a household pet but its the best way I can suggest. at his age his tongue reflex is working against you. you'll get what I mean more when he moves onto trying to eat food. The tongue pushes out what you are pushing in until they hit round 6 months old.

if that doesn't work...call the pediatrician and ask them if there is some other way you can administer the medication without it losing its effectiveness, like in his bottle with just a bit of formula?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
alchni Female
On the Board

Thanks Virgo! It worked!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Another thing you can do is gently blow on in their face and they will reflexively swallow.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I always found the gentle blowing was the key to keeping it in the mouth and going down.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
alchni Female
On the Board

That's a really good idea.. he did spit out the last little bit but I think I didn't get it in the right spot.. I'll try blowing next time.. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I would also have a binky in my hand so once I was sure I hadn't chocked the child I would stick that in to get the sucking started... helped keep the end of it in, too. (didn't work with my older one as she was a binky hater, but worked wonders with the twins)

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

Oh and one of them I wouldnt so much squirt. I'd set it in her mouth until she started sucking and slowly squirt it. It was Olivia who gave me the most trouble with the medicine.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote