Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey 7 months old, still sleep issues! Help! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Baby's First Year

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 10-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

babymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Support
humm 7 months old, still sleep issues! Help!

So, my son just turned 7 months old. He was starting to sleep better, sometimes would log in 5-6 hours in a row in a night! But lately he has been waking up litterally screaming crying in his sleep, like when I transfer him from my arms to crib or just waking up in the crib and this is not like him, he never cries like this unless he gets hurt. Now, its got to the point where when I'm getting ready to lay him in his crib for the night to go to sleep he will start screaming crying and it is soo hard to console him! On top of it, he is fighting his sleep so hard. Same with naps. Neither one of us is getting any sleep.

I don't know what it is or what happend. It is like he is terrified to go to sleep in his crib or fall asleep! I thought night terrors, but read they don't happen this early and a child doesn't remember them afterwards. He already has his first two bottom teeth, he might be teething the top ones, but we hardly noticed the first teeth coming in. Is he just being spoiled? I really can't figure out what has changed or what is causing this. Everything has been kept consistent all along.

Any advice on what may be causing this or how to prevent it, or suggestions on what I am doing wrong and how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated!
babymama3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: 7 months old, still sleep issues! H

Hmmm could be a few things.

Teeth
Growth spurt and needing more food
Gas
Separation Anxiety showings its ugly teeth just a little bit earlier than normal
Night Terrors (though everything i know and have experienced with them says they do not happen this early, usually closer to two years of age)
Some sort of food allergy, but you should be seeing other signs of this

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Will he sleep peacefully in your arms or your bed? If so, I'd say it is separation and you're going to have to get tough if you want him sleeping in his crib.

does he take a binky?

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

babymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

He does take a binky, it definately helps pacify him. And yes, lately the only way I can catch a few hours of sleep is to just let him sleep with me in my bed. But it is still very hard to get him to sleep, but not nearly as hard as letting him go to sleep on his own.

How do I deal with this separation anxiety and get tough? He really is soo stubborn. I have read many a books on baby sleep problems, and have found no solution. I have let him cry it out, but he will cry and cry soo hard he gasps for air and starts choking. The longest I have let him cry for is maybe 45 mins. Agh, I don't even know where to begin!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Can you move him while he is asleep? Maybe just let him wear himself down on his own, doubting that will work, they always get cranky.

If he isn't settling easy even with you I might be inclined to suspect something else. It could certainly be the teeth especialy if he's getting more than one at a time e.g. top front and the two beside the bottoms...maybe the mere act of lying down causes them to hurt more? I all but carried baby tylenol in my pockets when mine were little LMAO And baby orajel, too.

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 10-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

I wish I had some ideas, but all I can think of is that I would tell his pediatrician and let him sleep with me until something changed.
It will be easier to wear him out when he gets older and starts running around.
E slept with me (on the rare occaision he slept at all) until he was about 15 months.
He never napped.
When he was a toddler he started sleeping on his own with no more than average trouble....although I do have to let him watch a video.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

Aww bless him, is the room completely dark? I had the same problem with my son and i think he was afraid waking up in the dark, so we got a night light and he settled alot better

Also it could be his teeth, especially at his age

My son is 2 this month and still gets up through the night at least once a week, i have no idea why maybe nightmares
Jamie's_Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Oooh, yes the dark! Lights on and and even some playing might help if you find it isn't the teeth.?

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 10-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Well, I had a kid just like this...........She started this at about nine months old. Did anything with you change recently? Are you more stressed out, depressed, something? Honestly, I think that baby's are intuitively smart little creatures. My daughter started sleeping with me or in the same room in a crib when she was nine months -- coincided with when I seperated with my ex. To this day I am convinced she was responding to my own internal stress levels. She slept with me until a few months after my divorce was final and my ex disappeared. Then started again at 5 because her father popped back into her life. She then slept with me on and off for the next several years. Wasn't until early this year, when she just decided she wanted her own space -- even then, once in awhile she wants to sleep with me. She knows she can on Saturdays.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

You guys are awesome! Thank you everyone for caring and offering your advice, I really appreciate it

Yes, I always have baby tylenol or oragel, but I usually can pick up on when his teeth are hurting him because his cheeks get bright red. But, I do know that when I have a toothache trying to sleep just sucks and makes it hurt more. I have tried pitch black room, didn't change anything. I always keep a nightlight on, I try a white noise machine. Nothing.

And, LSL, I don't think anything has changed. I mean, it is kind of a viscious cycle because the more I go without sleep the more stressed I am getting, ! I do my dad's dialysis treatments at home, and this is a bit stressful, but we have been doing this for 2 months now. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it?

And Bluemoon, if I let him keep sleeping with me will it be a harder transition when I do try and get him back into the crib? I am starting to think it is separation anxiety. I will definately bring it up at his next visit.

It is 11:30pm right now, I got him in his crib peacefully but he is wide awake and playing with his toys and kicking around. I am just going to leave him be and hope he will fall asleep on his own, I doubt it, . AHHHH!!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #10
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I am a firm believer that kids transition when they feel secure in their environment. So whether it is seperation anxiety or whether it is stress in your life, or increasing stress levels in the home --- he needs you right now. If you can sleep that way, I say go for it. Once your stress levels go down from lack of sleep and just TRYING to get him to rest, the more his levels go down, the easier it is to transition.

BUT -- this is someone that believes you CAN'T spoil a child too much before the age of 12 months. My doctor who is a DO, who took care of me before I was preggers, was my OB with my daughter, delivered her, stayed my doctor and is her doctor now too -- told me when my daughter was 4 months old that it was impossible to love a child too much, or spoil a child too much before that age. He said too many studies show that the more responsive you are to a child needs, the more they experience touch in thos first 12 months, creates not only a bond, but a very secure and confident child when they are older. You know what, I think he was right.

But once a child can realize how to manipulate actions and do so maliciously and intentionally, then all bets are off.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

I hope he fell back to sleep on his own. I loved listening when they were just laying happily in the crib (especially if they went to sleep without tears)

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Renee81 Female
I am New

Renee81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Babymamma you sound a lot like me, I mean you almost resound my exact complaints so you make me feel less alone in the world. My son is 8 months old and still sleeps with me because I cannot stand going to the crib ever 2 seconds to eventually have to pick him up because he starts to wail anyway. I mean I give up almost but I know that I am going to really have to start joining the fight for sleep. Good luck, I've noticed that there is really no good answer, but I did see a lot of helpfull advice some of which I will take in to account. people on here are really cool. I'm glad I joined. Good luck babymama, hang in there ok. Renee
Renee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Thanks Renee, it is nice to know I am not the only one going through this and the only person with a baby at this age still having sleep issues! Thank you for that, ! I too feel like I am just giving up alot of the time in the struggle for what the books call "healthy sleep habits" because I just need my son and me to get some sleep anway, anyhow! Yes, this site is great, great people and advice

SueP, yes he did fall asleep on his own without any crying, took an hour of shuffling around though, but it DID happen....but he woke up an hour later wailing and then ended up in bed with me the rest of the night . I do love when he is playing quietly by himself, able to entertain himself and peeks over at me and gives me a smile, I love it!

LSL, I do agree with you. I don't think you can spoil a baby either, and I believe alot in evolotion and the way babies are based on how evolution has made us able to survive. I want my son to feel secure and know I will always be there for him, that is why I have such a hard time letting him "cry it out" because I feel like I am neglecting him and he doesn't know any better because to him, whatever fear he is having is very real to him. But all the books I have read keep reitterating this "instill healthy sleep habits now" the child needs to "Self-soothe" (yes I do wish my son was better at this though) and have "independence" to grow up as "healthy children." I guess there really is no clear cut answer or which way is right or wrong...I just want my son to be happy and healthy and myself to get some sleep.

I was out shopping all day with my son helping my sister find her wedding dress and then buying him some nice fall clothes. Guess we wore him out. Put him in the crib around 8:15pm and he fell asleep on his own and is still asleep and hour and 15 minutes later, maybe he will stay asleep all night! I think someone said, that once he is able to walk and burn off some of his built up energy he will sleep better, I think I am just waiting for that!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

When I had Olivia i thought the self-soothing was important. When I had M&D I felt my sleep was important. They all ended up being fine sleepers and slept in their own cribs/beds... it simply wasn't feasible to be in my bed with three of them as one was always left not next to me.

They are ALL fine sleepers, none ever were hooked on sleeping with me, none watch t.v. or movies while they fall to sleep. they read a little if they aren't too tired and they're out. I'd like to think all three know they are loved though depends on their dayLOL

If I were to become a mom again now, I wuoldn't worry about all the books on either topic, I'd do what felt right to me at the time.

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Thanks SueP! That is what I am trying to do, just gets confusing sometimes and frustrating. Sometimes I wish I had someone there to help me make the decisions and help me to follow through on them, though I'd prolly regret ever saying this if I did have it, . I wish my son was as good a sleeper as yours, that is for sure!

He is up again. I'll put him in the crib soon and try again.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

I always found it sooo painful when they'd go a few months sleeping well and then bam, it was gone. they would land back at the sleeping again though. All three of them sucked at napping. I was always jealous of those people that had the 3 hour nappers. Olivia was a 45 minute napper even when she went down to one nap a day. Maia and Delia I could get a little over an hour out of, but NEVER at the same time

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
Renee81 Female
I am New

Renee81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am totally enjoying these posts I'm finding so much to relate too it's great!
Babymama - I feel like I'm really getting somewhere and then my son screams. haha so it's like man I have to be a drill sargent sorta mom and I'm too tired and in love with him for that! but like you said, it's what's ultimatley best for him, and I think it's really up to the mom and her instincts.
Renee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #18
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

He usually always gets tired and ready for his nap around 12 or 1pm, that nap is usually fairly easy compared to the usual to get him to sleep...but it can last anywhere from 10 mins to an hour...you never know !

Renee, glad you are enjoying the site. I know when I first came here it made me feel so good to realise I wasn't alone and there were other people going through very similar situations as me. Or ones that already went through it and can shed their experience and advice on it. Then you pass it on when you have something. Sometimes we don't have anything but an ear to listen, a shoulder to lean on, or a simple your not alone.

He is in the crib, whining and stirring....