Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Baby Sleeping Face Down - Please Help! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Baby's First Year

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
alchni Female
On the Board

alchni is an unknown quantity at this point
beg or prayer Baby Sleeping Face Down - Please Help!

So my son has been so strong since day one. He was 11 days over due and the first day I brought him home from the hospital he rolled over from his belly to his back. He's now 4 months old and he can roll from his back to his belly easily.. however he has stopped rolling from his belly to his back which is weird.. one day he rolled over 3 times and hasn't done it since.. anyways.. I've been trying to put him in his own room but I'm so scared too. Right now he sleeps beside me in his playpen and I'm constantly rolling him over onto his back cause he's sleeping facedown!! All the talk of sids has me so freaked out as a new mom.. I've read that he will move his head if he can't breath cause it's instinct.. but I just don't know if I trust that.

Did anyone's else's kids do the same thing when they were babies?

Am I just being a worry wart or am I right to worry?
alchni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
strugglingalone Female
On the Board

strugglingalone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baby Sleeping Face Down - Please Hel

my son slept on his side alot. but my friend has a 4 month old, that sleeps on his stomach. he is always ok. call your pedatrician and see if they can offer some words of suggestion. if he is already rollign over he is prolly fine to sleep on his stomach as he can roll over and get some air. try to relax though. i know its tough when they are so little. my son is four now and very active, i just shake my head. cuz i was a very concerned parent when he was little. i would check on him always to see if he was still breathing. but i think thats normal.
strugglingalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

Well im not sure. See when i had my son everybody told me that babies HAVE to sleep on their back, however because my son had a cleft pallet he was not allowed to sleep on his back, incase his tounge rested in the hole in his pallet which would have choked him. I remember a friend if mine saying she'd be terrified if her kid slept on his side, but it never ever done my son any harm.

Sleeping on his front though is different, id assume that yes it would be instinct for him to move his head if he was struggling to breathe, but i really dont know. Is his face conpletely flat to the mattress or does he lie on his front with his head turned to one side? I ask because ive slept on my front since i was a baby, i always have my head facing the left though, ive always slept on my front

However do you have a local midwife or health visitor you could speak to? Just to give you peace of mind? A trick we used to stop my son rolling onto his back was to roll up a towel and put it behind him so that he couldnt roll over
Jamie's_Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
strugglingalone Female
On the Board

strugglingalone is an unknown quantity at this point

i would try the towel thing. at least he cant roll over and it will give you peace of mind. pretty soon here i will be having a little one, so i have to remember all this stuff about little ones. my son liked to sleep right up against the crib side and that always worried me cuz he would tangledup in the sides of the bed. they r so little but they sure worry a mother sometimes.
strugglingalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
momofTDR Female
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Strangely, if it's any consolation, my mother lost two boys to SIDS. One was oh his stomach, one on his back.

My littlest slept on his stomach and I'm sure would put his face down a bit. But, I do think if I were you the face down stuff is scary.
momofTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
alchni Female
On the Board

He kind of gets his arms underneath his belly and his face is right down on the mattress.. I've tried putting towels at his side.. I tested while he was napping since I was awake to check and he squirmed so much the towels just got pushed aside.. He's a squirmer I tell ya..

SIDS is probably the most terrifying thing in the world.. I think about it every single night and when he was younger I would put my hand on his chest to make sure he was breathing.. now that he's bigger I can tell by looking of I can hear him.

I feel like I'm overly paranoid but he's my world and I just don't know what I would do if anything happened to him.

It's terrifying when I walk into his room to check on him and I see him hands pinned under his belly and face in the mattress.. my heart races.. it doesn't wake him up either and he's still breathing and everything but ugh it's still scary!!
Old 10-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

You need a sleep positioner. The baby cannot roll over in them at all. Though, my niece was one that buried her nose in anything, and she still does! The last time she stayed the night with me, she fell asleep on me with her head right between my breasts. I was terrified of smothering her, but she kept moving her face there... so weird.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Yes, that's exactly what you need. The towels scare me more as if they unroll or stuff their face into them somehow SIDS is more likely. My twins always rolled to their bellies, hated it. I found that swaddling them together helped, but that is not much different than the sleep positioner as I had two... I'd just face them towards one another and they had no way of rolling over in either directionLOL

At 4 months, you are almost there, to where you don't need to worry quite so much about this! It is sooo scary being a parent, especially when they are so young. you need to be able to go to sleep at night though so worth the money for the positioners. you may need two, one is great, but if they are moving around, they can slide off of it and do what they want. you need to wedge him between two and be sure one is at the side of the crib. I'd also consider the towel beind the one that is not at the side of the crib.
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Oh yes, swaddlers work too, but I think your son is too old and would likely cry, rather than be swaddled... and if he squirms a lot, he would probably squirm out of it.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Yeah, I didn't notice the 4 month age when I mentioned swaddling. I dont' think you can swaddle a 4 month old like that, tightly enough and have them HAPPY at the same timeLMAO
Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
alchni Female
On the Board

I'll definitely try a sleep positioner.. I'm going to have to head to toys r us tomorrow and see what I can find.. tonight will be a sleepless night but can only hope tomorrow will be better..

Everyone says...enjoy this stage when they are so little and cuddly.. but it's so stressful I can't wait for him to get control of his body so I can worry less.. then I know there will be 10000 other things to worry about .. This is why my father tells me he started going gray the day his first kid was born
Old 10-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
Virgo69 Female
A Cuddly Porcupine

Virgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I can understand your concern and the opinions about sleep position have changed over the years.

I would just be sure to not put any blankets, stuffed animals, or other items that could inadvertently cover his mouth and nose making it difficult for him to breath.

If he is able to roll over, I wouldn't be as concerned about him wanting to sleep on his belly. Some babies are just more comfortable that way. I know the prefered position is on the back, but when I was a baby the prefered position was on the belly and I'm still here.

The worst part about SIDS is they really don't know the true cause so I think it makes us all worry when the wee ones are sleeping. I still listen for my girls breathing, snoring, or humming when she's sleeping and check her if she naps for longer than usual and she is 15 months old now.

is he keeping his face turned when he's fanny in the air or does he have his nose smooshed flat on the sleeping surface? My girl started the tummy sleeping around 6-7 months old with her arms underneath and her ____ in the air and still does it to this day.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

Virgo, I am always amazed at what supposedly our mothers did that was so horrible when we were in utero or first babies! Formula feeding, sleep on the bellies, didn't take prenatal vitamins, no car seats...... and guess what? We are here.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #14
Virgo69 Female
A Cuddly Porcupine

Virgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

oh LSL, don't forget the toys and homes with lead paint, giving us water to drink, cereal in the bottle, and adult food before we had teeth....
Old 10-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

Oh, and don't forget, Milk before a year.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
alchni Female
On the Board

Thank you all for your suggestions.. I got a sleep positioner which works sometimes.. sometimes he squirms right out of it.. but I just put him back in.. He's actually napping right now.. on his belly but his head is turned the right way and his arms are out.. so hopefully he decides that's his fav position ..

Again.. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

I think the key is that he IS able to roll over which greatly reduces the risk of sids. Unfortunately, these worries from early on just changed to different worries, though just as big Good thing they are soooo darned cute and worth losing sleep over!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
Glasslass Female
Parent on Board

Glasslass has a brilliant futureGlasslass has a brilliant futureGlasslass has a brilliant futureGlasslass has a brilliant future

I'm guessing the sleep positioners LSL is referring to is the wedges found in the baby section of places like Target and Babies R Us? Those work very well. I used them with great success when my 2 wigglers were tiny. I agree with your concerns about the towel coming unrolled and presenting more possible danger. My kids were both too strong and squirmy for the towel trick.
Glasslass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

Actually, the sleep positioner I was talking about was not a wedge at all, but a memory foam cushion that cuddles the baby like a car seat. Forces them to sleep on their backs, and there is little room for them to roll over.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Summer-Inf...43762319086309

Unfortunately, I just read that you are supposed to stop using them at 4 months. They help with colic and reflux issues as well.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #20
lyndz7 Female
Setting New Standards

lyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond repute

I was always concerned witht this as well...my son was a belly sleeper.....my Dr. said that with his head control (strength) was that he would be fine. i just took away the bumper and all blankets etc. and hes a perfect little almost 4 year old now.....Its scary but if he can roll over, he can move his head.....
Old 11-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #21
alchni Female
On the Board

Great news.. he napped on his belly yesterday the whole time slept for 3 hours which he never does.. I checked on him constantly and he had his head turned to the side... and last night I let him sleep in his own room.. he was perfect.. he slept 11 hours on his belly and his head to the side.. of course i was up every hour checking on him.. but I'm alot more comfortable with him sleeping on his belly now.. tonight I'll probably be up just as much though.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #22
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

I recall my ped telling me that because they were so strong, could roll, maneuver their heads, etc. they were pretty safe. Course we are mom's so we believe nothing of the sort. Once our eye lids shut our minds wander straight to disaster.

So glad he is sleeping, now hopefully you will, t00, and soon!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #23
lovingmyace Female
I am New

lovingmyace is an unknown quantity at this point

my son is 4 months old, and he does the same thing. even n the hospital he would lay on his stomach. if his head is face down he always seems to move it sideways. i just kind of propped him or you can get a thing they sell i cant remember the name, but it prevents them from rolling onto their stomachs
lovingmyace is offline   Reply With Quote