Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey sick baby :( - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Baby's First Year

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

babymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Support
sorry sick baby :(

Hey everyone, my 3 and a half month old has not been feeling well the past 2 days, he is not really wanting to eat and he is spitting up alot more than usual. He is being fussy at times and crying, which he usually never does unless tired or hungry. He is sleeping well, no diarrhea, and having enough wet diapers. My dad had the stomache flu not to long ago and am assuming he gave it to the baby. What should I do? I know stomache flu's just need to run there course as long as he is not in danger of becoming dehydrated. Any advice on what you did if your baby had this? How long should I wait before calling the doctor? Any remedies? Thanks
babymama3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: sick baby :(

First, it could be a number of things........I wouldn't worry about a doctor unless he is still not feeling going in another 3 or so days.

It's not to early to think about teeth! And these are all classic signs. Could be ears too.

So, just keep an eye on things. Make sure he is not running a classic fever of 100.4 or more. See if putting a cold teething ring in his mouth quiets him.....

Really there is nothing much to worry about unless diaherrea or no wet diapers start.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

I would wait it out for another day or so. You didn't mention a fever, so that's good. Keep the fluids in and as LSL says teething....my oldest got teeth before hair, and was out of sorts for a while because of it. Sometimes my guys just liked a warm bath and then to bed.....calmed them and if they slept, so did I. Had some calming lotion for them too, forget the name. Gosh this was years ago now! LOL I feel old! But the bath and bed thing worked wonders.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Johnson and Johnson has a lavendar scented baby lotion that is great for calming baby! And bath wash too.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

Maybe that was it.... cartoon picture of sleeping baby on the purple bottle. Of course when dad squirted it, I had enough for all the boys at once, so once there were 3 of them I'd just line them all up and rub it on. "Uh oh, Dad used too much again...." LOL
Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Mommyofone Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Mommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant future

rub some Tylenol on the gums if teething.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Great advice so far. If it's teeth he will probably be wanting to chew on things...like his fingers and drool alot. If ears he might put his hand over them or the one that bothers him.
I agree with the others, as long as there is no fever, he is drinking and peeing and there is no prolonged diarreah, I wouldn't worry. Sorry the little guy isn't feeling so good :-(
When's his next regular drs. appointment?
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

babymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I just brought him to the doctor last week for a checkup, I noticed he had been pulling on his right ear and making angry grunting sounds, but no fever, and the doctor said he had some fluid in that ear, but there isn't anything to do for it unless an infection and fever develops.
But no, I keep checking his temp, and it is fine every time. I can't get him to eat more than 2-3 ounces at a time, and he is spitting up alot, and we have worried about weight gain in the past, I have to add extra powder to his formula. Could that be a side-effect of teething? His hands are constantly in his mouth and he is drooling all the time now, but my doctor said not to worry about teething until 6 months? I think he has classic signs of teething also, but could that be what is going on here?
And yes, I always use the lavender wash and lotion at his bedtime bath and it does always calm him and help get him to sleep. I am just mostly worried about the not eating much and not being able to keep some of it down. Other than that and being a little fussy and cranky, everything seems to be normal. I guess I will just wait a couple more days and see how it goes.
Also, I can't get him to sleep in his crib! He wakes up as soon as I transfer him there even if he is in deep sleep and he will NOT fall asleep in there on his own! He only goes to sleep and wants to sleep in my bed, and tips? Thanks guys!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Has he always refused to sleep in his crib? If it's just now, then it could be cause he doesn't feel well. If it's always like that...honestly, at that age, I would probably just let him sleep with me...as a nursing Mom I did anyway with both my kids.
There are threads about the co-sleeping issue, as well as how to put an end to it, . I'm not sure exactly where they are, though.

As for the spitting up, lack of appetite issue, I would give it a day or two more and if it doesn't resolve I would call the dr. Or, you could just call tommorrow and ask for a professioal opinion just for peace of mind since you already had concerns about his weight.

Oh, and pulling on the ear is classic ear trouble sign, but since they checked...just do what you have been.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

My guys have fluid in the ear...and sometimes it turned to infections...sometimes not. Just keep checking the temperature of the little one. Sounds like teething to me, but your doctor knows more than I. If he won't sleep in the crib, I'd just let him snuggle for now....he may need the comfort or warmth. When he's back to normal...move him back.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

My son was getting worse today with alot of diarhea and he had no appetite! I called the doctor and she wanted to see him. She says it is the stomache flu and told me to stop feeding him formula. I have to give him pedialyte, at least 2 ounces every 2 hours, for 24 hours or until he improves. Dehydration was the main concern. So hopefully this works because he is in so much pain and starting to get a rash from the diarhea, even though I tried so hard to prevent it
Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

Sometimes those little guys have to get worse before they get better, though it is awful because they cannot tell us where it hurts, where they don't feel well etc. I remember the pedialyte days! I hope he is feeling better soon.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Thanks muskiedad! He seems to be feeling a little bit better today, but is still having diarrhea but no more spitting up. He is hungry again and drinking his pedialyte, so thats good. Thanks for all the advice everyone
Old 06-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Glad he is feeling better. BOY do I remember worrying over a sick baby.....my E still gets sick a lot, but at least she can talk and tell me more about what is wrong.
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
dancing_orchid Female
Parent on Board

dancing_orchid has a reputation beyond reputedancing_orchid has a reputation beyond reputedancing_orchid has a reputation beyond reputedancing_orchid has a reputation beyond reputedancing_orchid has a reputation beyond reputedancing_orchid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi babymama, just to put this out there for anyone with sick children... Most health insurance plans & medicaid plans offer a 24/7/365 Nurse Advice Line... You can call a nurse anytime you have questions about your health or childs health. They will evaluate and recommend the appropriate treatment.. ie: go to the ER, give motrin, see your PCP tomorrow... etc.. =) Call your insurance company and see if they offer one, its part of your benefits.. =)
dancing_orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #16
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

We have a thing called telehealth which is RN's on the line helping you out. They are great, it's a public service up here. Nothing like that down there? I mean offered for free publicly? Wow... the idea here was it keeps you out of the ER unless really needed.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #17
dancing_orchid Female
Parent on Board

dancing_orchid has a reputation beyond reputedancing_orchid has a reputation beyond reputedancing_orchid has a reputation beyond reputedancing_orchid has a reputation beyond reputedancing_orchid has a reputation beyond reputedancing_orchid has a reputation beyond repute

Here, it is up to each provider whether or not they want to offer a free "Nurse Advice Line aka Telephone Triage ". Depending on where you are located there may be a free public service available through a local hospital/healthcare system or teaching hospital.

We have a childrens hospital here.. Because my physician is in the Childrens Network I have access to their Nurse Advice Line offered free by the hospital.

These free services, ARE NOT going to be heavily promoted to the public.. Because it can be costly for them to staff it. Teaching hospitals might be a place to look, the new RN's take turns doing Triage...

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Reducing ER visits is a HUGE initiative for the healthcare industry right now... I see that we are now doing some very creative things to offset ER visits and increase utilization of Nurse Advice Line services as well as helping folks with transportation issues. Some people use the ambulance as a taxi... a very expensive taxi that tax payers pay for....
dancing_orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Thanks everyone for the great advice and I will have to look into that. I am a RN with over 4 years experience in med/surg and post-op so I know alot and tend to self-diagnose and self-treat, . But when it comes to my baby I am a different person and worry over every little things because I know TOO much, and sometimes that is a bad thing, . Plus, this is my first baby, and the only experience I have with babies is from nursing school and interning on NICU's and Pediatric floors, so I always want to learn more and it is always reassuring to hear that what I am doing is the right thing and for opportunities for me to learn more and get help in areas I am not so proficient!
As for the little one, he is doing much better today. Gonna start him back on his formula now because he hasn't had diarhea in the last 8 hours, so hope that all goes well. Thanks everyone, you are all so great! Really love all the advice and support here!