Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Heeellllppp!!! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Baby's First Year

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
MSMOMMYMAYBE Female
On the Board

MSMOMMYMAYBE is an unknown quantity at this point
beg or prayer Heeellllppp!!!

I NEED SOME TIPS FROM YOU MOMMY PROS! My son is 6 months old. Never been sick. Started him in daycare on Tuesday. He had a cough by Wednesday. Now he is exremely congested and keeps rubbing his ear. I knew I shouldn't have left him at that place. They actually lay babies on the carpet that they walk on with their damn shoes. And I know he got it from this other little baby girl who was sick. WHAT CAN I DO OR GIVE HIM TO MAKE HIM FEEL BETTER? Vicks? Can he even drink orange juice? Oh and his stool was very runny... I feel like a bad mom because I started him at this daycare and after the first day I knew I hated taking him there. I had already paid my $184 for the week, so I kept him there but just kept popping up on my lunch hour. Please tell me what you do or did for your babies when they were sick?????
MSMOMMYMAYBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Heeellllppp!!!

sounds like an "ear infection". I would give my kids an expectant [like Robitussin, or store brand] and make an appointment at his Peds, as soon as they can get you in.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/par...nt-expectorant
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
MNLoveMySon Female
Parent on Board

MNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant future

DO NOT GIVE CHILDRENS COUGH MEDICINE TO A BABY!! It's very dangerous and cough medicine has been banned for children under 6 for the most part because of this. Unless prescribed by a doctor, do not give anything.

Infant illness is hard. Use a nasal plunger to suck any congestion/snot out of his nose. You can use saline nasal spray designed for infants. There is infant vicks on the market for you to use to help keep his passages open. There is nothing more that you can really do other than try to comfort your LO. If your home is dry, a humidifier can be helpful. Definately seek pediatrician for ear infection. It's flu season and serious bugs going around. Daycares and play groups are notorious for spreading these germs. One thing I will strongly advise is to stave off any vaccines if you intend to give any at 6 months until your LO is well again.
MNLoveMySon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Yes, sounds like an ear infection to me...and probably some other bugs new to him as well. Antibiotics for the ear infection, the rest he probably will just need to build up immunities to. All I would give him is baby tylenol drops or baby ibuprophen drops...for the pain. Keep him hydrated well. Water will work best...or pedialyte. Milk makes flem. Juice is full of sugar, though won't really be "bad". I would just water it down some if you want to give it.

Get him to the pediatrician asap. A trip to the emergency room would not (imo) be inappropriate if you cannot get him to your regular pediatrician within 24 hours or so. Mostly just because of the risk of the flu.

Stop beating yourself up. Babies get sick and more kids than not have to go to daycare at some point. If he didn't get exposed now, he will when he starts pre-school and it will be the same then. It's how we develop our immunities, we get exposed and develop natural antibodies.

It's gonna be OK, just take it as it comes and get treatment when needed. By the way, they now say that even ear infections can be overcome without antibiotics, but I personally would prefer them for something like that. They are just so painful, and treatment usually stops the pain quickly..

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
scottrfab Male
Active Board Parent

scottrfab is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post
Stop beating yourself up. Babies get sick and more kids than not have to go to daycare at some point. If he didn't get exposed now, he will when he starts pre-school and it will be the same then. It's how we develop our immunities, we get exposed and develop natural antibodies.
This is very good advice. Yes, you may question the way things are done at a particular daycare, but your kids will get sick there early on, and it's nothing that you are doing wrong. My two boys were sick often during their first six months of daycare. I ran through my vacation and sick time from work in no time having to stay at home with them. My oldest missed 9 days of school during kindergarten. In the last 18 months they have hardly been sick enough to stay home, and my oldest has yet to miss a day of first grade due to illness.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
zomom Female
Sweet & Sassy

zomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Calm down, stop beating yourself up...the first year of daycare expect him to get everything under the sun, it's just the nature of germs.

Shop around for other daycares if you're really concerned, but unfourtunately the first year will be a .

Warm compresses, seemed to sooth Z's ear pain. Hang in there, hope your babe feels better soon.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Absolutely agree with the above.......first year in school or daycare expect them to be sick all the time (and you will be too.) There are lots of colds that are a pain but don't necessarily need medical attention. If a fever is involved I would take them to the DR but for run of the mill cold a vaporizer with some liquid vicks.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

You stated your son is tuging and rubbing on his ear.... that's is a build up of fluid in pressure in the ear.

Quote:
Perhaps the most surprising news is that common ear infections rarely require medication or any other action, except when severe or in young infants. “The body’s immune system can usually resolve them,” says Dr. Jacobson.
since your child is a young infant - this is the 'updated' information from the americian ped assoc.
http://www.healthychildren.org/Engli...-Tomorrow.aspx
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I never gave mine antibiotics for ear infections. Their pediatrician would write me the RX just in case but statistically taking a full course of antibiotics only shortens it by one day and unless their fever is high or they have a history of terrible ear infections really not needed. He also gave me home remedy for congestion and cold cough. It was clear apple cider (not the cloudy kind) mixed with honey. I did that quite often. Can't remember why it had to be the clear kind though.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Scarlettletr Female
I am New

Scarlettletr is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I'm seeing what a help this site can be ....I hope you're little one is feeling better soon .
Scarlettletr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Ear tugging: Sign of ear fluid/infection Sign of teething pain OR a comforting habit they form from tugging during pain.

I never took mine until they had an ongoing fever, too much runny poo and weren't drinking enough to make me comfortable OR we had a horrid night. But, I'd been around a lot of infants and young children so with a first I'd say take him in and get some peace of mind... get info from ped, what to watch for, what to do for different circumstances, etc. It really does help you sleep if you know what it is and how to handle different things that may come up. And don't worry, not only do they all get sick... sooner or later you'll become an old pro at it -- Yup, right until it changes which is probably next time Oh if we didn't worry we wouldn't be parents.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

how your son today, hoping is better and you did NOT lose to much sleep.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
MSMOMMYMAYBE Female
On the Board

MSMOMMYMAYBE is an unknown quantity at this point

THANK YOU ALL! You were all right! He has an ear infection in both ears and a cold. I took him to ER on Saturday in the middle of the night. They prescribed antibiotic. I started giving it to him, but we follow up with his Dr. today, so I will see how she feels about the whole medicine thing. Thank you Mommy Pros again. I'm a rookie at this...LOL
MSMOMMYMAYBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
zomom Female
Sweet & Sassy

zomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I'm hope he's feling better. I always get anti biotics for Z's ear infections, didn't know there was an option not to. I do know that after the first dose of the meds both of us sleep a whole lot better
And, it never fails that the ear will start hurting in the middle of the night for some reason.