Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey 1st birthday!! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Baby's First Year

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
Taylor's Mommy
Board Member

Taylor's Mommy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st birthday!!

Im new to this but maybe someone could help me. My daughter is turning 1 on Sunday and Im throwing a party for all her little friends and family. There is going to be about 13 kids from birth to 3 years old. Does anyone know of some games that I can have the older ones play but that my daughter can "walk" and play too????
Old 04-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
miss jes
At A loss for Words - NOT!

miss jes is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it an indoor or outdoor party? Do you have a theme in mind?

Here are some ideas anyway:
1. Lead a circle time: You can pretty much do anything with this. You can always contact a daycare center and see how they run their's for your specific age group.

2. Sing-a-long music: Give each child an instrument and have them play along with the music (age appropriate). Then you can rotate the different instruments. You can use home-made items.

3. Bubbles. Kids love it!

4. Face painting.

.. below are some ideas I found online.

5. Baby bottle bowling: Fill 10 bottles with rice or water to keep them stable. Place an X at a reasonable distance from the pins. Use whatever ball you've got.

6. Treasure Hunt: Make a list of items (using pictures) for the kids to find around the house. Give some clues (Like Blue's Clues) to make it easier for them. Maybe divide the kids into 2 teams so they can work together.

7. Message: Place a photo of your child in a thick rimmed matted frame. Throughout the party, invite the guests to write a message on the frame using felt markers. ie: "You are special because.." or "We love you because.." After the party, put it in a glass frame and hang it in your child's room.

8. Take a guess: Fill a jar with dry cheerios (count them first). Every guest will guess how many cheerios are inside the jar (adults too) and the closest one is the winner.

9. Gym Relay: Divide the guests into 2 teams. Place 2 baskets at one end of the room and a pile of toys at the other. They will start at the pile of toys. Players will take turn (walking, crawling, running) taking the toy to the basket and return to team. First team to finish wins.

10. Portrait time: Give every guest some crayons paper. Have the bday girl where everyone can see her. When you say "GO" players have 30 seconds to draw the bday girl. When time is up, switch drawings to the player clockwise. Say "GO" and draw again. Keep it going for as long as your daughter can stand it. No artistic talent is needed. After the party, make a collage using all of the pictures and frame it.

11. Our Baby Can.. Before the party write a list of tasks your baby can and
can't do; clap, eat with a spoon, walk, use the potty, count to 20, throw a ball...Can your guests guess correctly.
To play designate one side of the room to be the "CAN" side and the other, the "CAN'T" side.
All players start in the middle. When you call out a task, if a player believes your baby CAN do it - they move to that side of the room and vise versa.

Here's another link: http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/party_ideas.html
miss jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
BASICALLYAMY
Board Blazen Parent

BASICALLYAMY is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoops I just saw this posting.... One thing I always make sure to have on hand for parties is goody bags.

Don't try to plan too much because with a bunch of little ones it's going to turn into a free for all after a very short time. Just get ready for lots of noise and a huge mess. Don't forget the Extra-Strength Tylenol for all the parents!!!!
BASICALLYAMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
hi
Parent on Board

hi is an unknown quantity at this point

we've so far kept birthday parties for friends and family, but i agree on not planning too much. I'd say some play-doh on a table or some paint - if it is outside you can set up a whole bunch of finger paint and even your little one can do some body paint (although i'd warn parents about and make sure they brought a spare change of clothes )

but don't forget to have fun!
hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
momof2okc
Parent on Board

momof2okc is an unknown quantity at this point

For my kids I always have one party because their birthdays are only 4 days apart, and I couldn't expect my whole family to get together 2 weekends in a row, but we do something special for each child the week before separately.

For children that young, see if you've got a Gymboree nearby. They offer a special "Class" for a birthday party with age-appropriate play and activities including a bubble party. To save money, you could go buy their "super bubble blower" and bubbles from them and a CD of their music and do your own circle time a LOT cheaper. I think the bubble blower was $10 when I went there about 4 yrs ago, but it's WORTH IT. I taught there part time and I'd find bubbles still sitting on the carpet the NEXT DAY they were so strong!

Just think about little things that make your little one bubble and smile her brightest. Don't expect kids that young to be too structured in a party, they're not going to enjoy it. Just lots of short-term activities and they'll have a ball!
momof2okc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:41 AM   #6
Taylor's Mommy
Board Member

Taylor's Mommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much!!! Im sure the party will be great. I will have to put some pictures up.