Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Having a child after 40 - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-29-2017, 01:53 AM   #1
Shawn76 Male
Board Blazen Parent

Shawn76 is a splendid one to beholdShawn76 is a splendid one to behold
Default Having a child after 40

My girlfriend is 3 months pregnant and this will be her first child. I have my 2 still with me. They know and are excited to be having a brother or sister coming in mid April. I didn't expect it so soon,but I know I could of avoided it but didn't so I will be 41 and raising another child. Not that I'm complaining any,I kind of miss having a little one around again.
Our relationship has been good and we haven't had any arguments or break ups.
Kids like her and vice versa,I think my son talks to her more then I do sometimes which is a huge step for him.
So I'm looking for some advice for parenting after 40. It's been a few years since I have had to change diapers or listen for a baby to wake up. I'll be the one getting up at night since she has to get up so early for work.
I'm not working yet,waiting to see what disability is going to rule on before I try to work again. I had a very bad car accident and haven't been the same since. Rear ended by someone who was doing about 60mph while I was sitting at a dead stop in a Toyota Prius. I think the hearing went well,but never know until I get the letter in the mail in the next few weeks. If denied I already have a job I can get,but I know I will be killing myself doing the work. It's been a rough few years and my body doesn't bounce back like it did when I was younger. Sure I filed a lawsuit against the person who hit me,but that will probably cover medical and lawyer fees only,anything left buys baby stuff and money for my kids,especially my daughter who has been helping me out with some stuff. I am still living with my parents so I have no bills per say just a few things that are needed.
I did quit smoking 3 months ago,before we found out she was pregnant. Timed that perfect and I won't go back to smoking. I did try to smoke one a month ago and it was nasty and made me physically sick to my stomach. I managed to kick a 27 year habit using a vape. I still use it but not when I am around my girlfriend and I will be done with it before the baby is born. I can cut back on the amount of nicotine and have already took one step down pretty easily. I'll make another cut in a few months.
Shawn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Virgo69 Female
A Cuddly Porcupine

Virgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel
Default Re: Having a child after 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
My girlfriend is 3 months pregnant and this will be her first child. I have my 2 still with me. They know and are excited to be having a brother or sister coming in mid April. I didn't expect it so soon,but I know I could of avoided it but didn't so I will be 41 and raising another child. Not that I'm complaining any,I kind of miss having a little one around again.
Our relationship has been good and we haven't had any arguments or break ups.
Kids like her and vice versa,I think my son talks to her more then I do sometimes which is a huge step for him.
So I'm looking for some advice for parenting after 40. It's been a few years since I have had to change diapers or listen for a baby to wake up. I'll be the one getting up at night since she has to get up so early for work.
I'm not working yet,waiting to see what disability is going to rule on before I try to work again. I had a very bad car accident and haven't been the same since. Rear ended by someone who was doing about 60mph while I was sitting at a dead stop in a Toyota Prius. I think the hearing went well,but never know until I get the letter in the mail in the next few weeks. If denied I already have a job I can get,but I know I will be killing myself doing the work. It's been a rough few years and my body doesn't bounce back like it did when I was younger. Sure I filed a lawsuit against the person who hit me,but that will probably cover medical and lawyer fees only,anything left buys baby stuff and money for my kids,especially my daughter who has been helping me out with some stuff. I am still living with my parents so I have no bills per say just a few things that are needed.
I did quit smoking 3 months ago,before we found out she was pregnant. Timed that perfect and I won't go back to smoking. I did try to smoke one a month ago and it was nasty and made me physically sick to my stomach. I managed to kick a 27 year habit using a vape. I still use it but not when I am around my girlfriend and I will be done with it before the baby is born. I can cut back on the amount of nicotine and have already took one step down pretty easily. I'll make another cut in a few months.
Really? Just really. My only advice to you is be prepared to be a zombie. Sleep when you can. And some hospitals offer a pre labor tour and simple parenting advice regarding sleeping positions for baby, cops can check to make sure you properly installed carseat, etc etc.

I just have to say use birth control next time. You are still with your parents and have been a trainwreck for so long this isn't fair to your girlfriend or your kids but you already did the deed.