Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey I have on year left - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Support

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
MochaMom Female
Parent on Board

MochaMom has a brilliant futureMochaMom has a brilliant futureMochaMom has a brilliant futureMochaMom has a brilliant futureMochaMom has a brilliant future
Default I have on year left

of CS for DS. Then we're down $600 a month. I have no earthly clue how we'll make it then. We're already on a Ramen noodle diet driving a 1997 POS. The kids will get jobs but that will cover gas $ to class only.

I know God will provide, but it scares the ____ out of me. I can't see where there is left to cut.
MochaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: I have on year left

I'm sure it is scary, but c/s is for kids... and this means ds is an adult. Charge him rent if need be... you do not NEED to support him financially. I know it doesn't feel right to you, a lot of us had parents there and willing to help us get off our feet at those ages. Does he have any plans for school? My kids will receive c/s if they are in school still after their 18th bdays.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
MochaMom Female
Parent on Board

MochaMom has a brilliant futureMochaMom has a brilliant futureMochaMom has a brilliant futureMochaMom has a brilliant futureMochaMom has a brilliant future

I currently have a 19 year old and DS is 17. I have to pay for the cars to get them to jobs so they can pay for school. What a student makes working at a fast food place doesn't even cover gas and insurance for a car.

When I was 19, I was married, working, had rent and bills to pay. It's not possible for kids to do it by 19 today. My kids had / have hours of homework every night. No time for a job after school and just how much can you make on a weekend? I'm not making excuses, just trying to get them to the next step. Taking that cut in our budget will make it even harder but we'll make it some how.

I'm telling them the need to work like mad this summer. Well, DD is taking some time off to take care of me for a bit in early June. I'm having surgery. But after that, they need to work work work and save save save!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Woodsimply Female
Thinks too much

Woodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMom View Post
I currently have a 19 year old and DS is 17. I have to pay for the cars to get them to jobs so they can pay for school. What a student makes working at a fast food place doesn't even cover gas and insurance for a car.

When I was 19, I was married, working, had rent and bills to pay. It's not possible for kids to do it by 19 today. My kids had / have hours of homework every night. No time for a job after school and just how much can you make on a weekend? I'm not making excuses, just trying to get them to the next step. Taking that cut in our budget will make it even harder but we'll make it some how.

I'm telling them the need to work like mad this summer. Well, DD is taking some time off to take care of me for a bit in early June. I'm having surgery. But after that, they need to work work work and save save save!
Not trying to be harsh. I only know what you have posted here, but this is not totally true.

My 18yr old is out on his own, and thou it is rough, and he has very little in his fridge at times...he's making it. All because he didn't want to pay me $200 a month rent. Granted, he was lucky to find a job (factory work) that pays I believe $12.50 an hr......More than I made when he was home.

Also, I worked 3 jobs while taking 3 seated classes & 2 online courses (5 total classes) while raising 3 kids by myself financially...it is do-able...if one really wants/needs to.

The job market is definitely tough right now. That said, even a paycheck with weekend hours only, would help the financial situation, even if it does only pay for some gas and insurance....it's something.

Hope it gets better for you and your's

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMom View Post
so they can pay for school.
Just re-read and saw this part. Can they not get FAFSA seeing as your a single parent? From my experience, they should qualify

You cannot get an answer, if you do not ask the question. Say what you need to say.
~Just me
Woodsimply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
MochaMom Female
Parent on Board

Default Re: I have one year left

On another note, DD (19) is VERY ADD. It makes what she does take longer. I'm letting her figure things out on her own because many adults are ADD and don't have their mommy or doctor going to work with them all day.

She was late graduating high school. Took her 3 extra months. She did an on-line class and finished. She JUST got FASFA done. We submitted it like last week. I hear it can take months? Is that true? I have no idea if we'll get help or not. I sure hope so.

So she's slowly getting there at her slow pace. I pray a job is in the near future. I know it can be done. Her boyfriend is working two jobs AND going to school. I don't know how he puts up with her.

And I hear ya. I worked a full and a part time job when the kids were babies and I have Lupus. Makes it even harder. I would fall asleep at the wheel and at my desk all the time. But I did it. It can be done.

Update: There is a tiny bit of hope. I won't pay for any 'extras' because I can't. So DD took some money that came in and took her ____ to the eye doctor for an exam and new glasses. So she's learning to fend for herself! Baby steps perhaps?

Am I evil for wishing she and her boyfriend would go shack up in a cheap apartment and live on their own!?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
zomom Female
Sweet & Sassy

zomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Fasfa doesn't take forever. There are deadlines by which the application needs to be completed to receive aid for that year. Funds should be distributed the first week of classes.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Woodsimply Female
Thinks too much

Woodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Complete the FAFSA as early as possible, every semester. After a certain amount of time, cant remember, you get a $200 bonus for completing it early, for so many consecutive semesters. You do here anyway. I did, after I think a full year of College.

You cannot get an answer, if you do not ask the question. Say what you need to say.
~Just me
Woodsimply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
cf829 Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

cf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Why would you want her cohabitating outside of marriage? Just curious
cf829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
calooa Female
Finding my way

calooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I apologize if this sounds harsh but I don't agree with this: " I have to pay for the cars to get them to jobs so they can pay for school. What a student makes working at a fast food place doesn't even cover gas and insurance for a car."

Nowhere does it say a parent should "have" to pay for cars for their kids. If they want/need to work, they need to find a job they can get to by foot, bicycle, carpool, bus, etc. Sometimes working doesn't mean you get to work where you want, but where you can afford to work. It's called paying your dues. If they can't get there and must have a car, purchasing an affordable car that they pay for (or for which they pay you back) is fine. No, they may not have the coolest car in the world .. my first car was a Chevy Citation!...but at least they have transportation. In many cases, cars should be only for school to work to home and not for carting friends about, etc.

I live in a town with a population of about 7,000. There are three fast food places here which pay around $9/hour. The two local grocery stores pay around $8/hour for a teen. I cannot imagine that a teen would not be able to afford insurance and gas while working 15 hours per week. No it isn't the most ideal situation, but my now 22 year old did it and she had to walk a mile to work when the weather was nice. And guess what? She appreciated her first car far more when she had to work and pay for it.

I think it is really easy to get used to having the child support coming in and considering it a source of income. I haven't been receiving child support for months, and when I did get it before it was so sporadic. I had to find a way to live without it. That way if it ever does come in, it will be a bonus/savings for the kids. Besides, I don't want my ex to have any control over me and in some ways, my dependency on the child support, was exactly that.
calooa is offline   Reply With Quote