Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey New here with some Qs. - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Support

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
nrcpsma Female
I am New

nrcpsma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New here with some Qs.

Hi Everyone,

Im currently in a child support case with my sons father who is actually married. I filed for CS via the welfare office August 2012 after not hearing anything from my sons father since I was 9weeks pregnant. He and I live in two different states. After I filed in August, around Nov 1st had communication from him that he wanted to get a Paternity test, I declined because I figured he was doing that to get out of me filing for CS so I let him know that I would rather go through the court. Well from Aug to Apr absolutely nothing happened. I finally called one day and they set up an appt for me to come in and there they said that he had not cooperated so it would now have to go through his state. The idea of the paternity test came up again so I said fine. I got the consent papers in the mail and then.....nothing. So I went ahead and paid for it myself and Got the results in the mail in less than a week. I sent them to him via email and regular mail. I still heard nothing. By this time we FINALLY had a court date of Aug 9, Yay! Well we actually had a conversation in July sometime about how he rather not go through the court and the reason he hadnt done anything this entire time since my son was born in May of 2012 was because "he wasnt supposed to just assume the baby was his" although I have texts from him that claimed my son was his. He stated he wanted visitation so he could be in his sons life and I told him that was fine. So anyway he wanted me to give him a number so I gave him $625, he didnt say it was to much he just said (a week before we were supposed to go to court and via his wife) that they would rather go through the court. So I get a letter in the mail 2 weeks later stating that he requested a paternity test...AGAIN and through the same Labcorp company. Whatever I will do that. So Now our next court date is Oct 24, Im not sure how much he actually makes but I can guarantee that we make at least the same amount so a combined total of about $4k+. My son goes to daycare thats around $700 a month and medical is around $250 a month. When i put those numbers in the states child support calculator it comes to about $800/month, when we go to court on the 24th, will the support order go back to Aug 2012 when I filed? He has not provided a dime for my son nor has he been with or visited my son even though he stated he wanted visitation almost 3 months ago. What is my probable outcome? Oh yea, he isnt one to up and stop working and I already know his state garnishes CS so whatever the amount is there is a 90% chance Ill get it.
nrcpsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: New here with some Qs.

Yes, they usually start the support from time of filing.

If you use the CS calculator and know is income then you can have a better idea.

However there are many factors that the court take into consideration, for example if he has children before yours, they will be first looked at and your support reduced... there are tons of factors that are extracted from amount to be paid.

and another thought to consider is your contribution to the child financially the more you make the more his cs may go up...

- if there isn't a paternity test done yet and may request that at the hearing.

hope that helps
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
nrcpsma Female
I am New

nrcpsma is an unknown quantity at this point

He doesnt have any other children my son is his first. I have a pretty good idea of how mich he makes. We have had a paternity test done personally and are now having a second one done through the court. Thanks for your input this is all new to me. I just got a job and make pretty decent money, probably around the same amount he makes. One more question, the hearing is 2 hours away, I definitely can be there do you think i should go? They said i didnt have to but im wondering if I should?
nrcpsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

you should go, as you are the best advocate for your child.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Claire87 Female
Board Member

Claire87 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should definitely go to your hearing! You also are probably going to be granted back child support. are you using his state calculator? Because it's very different state to state! Also I think he is stalling for some reason and that seems silly to me but my ex is not the guy to not have a job and he has refused to get one to keep his child support
Low!! Don't underestimate what people will do :/
Claire87 is offline   Reply With Quote