Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Child support & ssi - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Support

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
ShawnaK
I am New

ShawnaK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child support & ssi

Hi everyone I'm new! I've been pretty desperate to get help with child support issues I've been dealing with for 6 years now. My daughters father has been collecting SSI on and off now for 6 years. Yes, as soon as our daughter was born his Mother walked him through how to get out of child support. So now I'm trying to figure out a way to get around SSI. I mean how can a man be able to have children and be legally able to get out of supporting them. When they were first born, I didn't care for his money so I never fought him for it, but now they are older and after bills, I can't afford anything else. I just started the three of them in gymnastics and I can't afford to keep paying for it. My thing is why should they suffer, all I want is some support for them. Anyone know anything about SSI???
ShawnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
mykidisfirst Female
Social Director

mykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant future
Default Re: Child support & ssi

More info please-
Did you already go before a judge?
Do you have a court order?
Does he own anything?
He does not work at all?
mykidisfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Social Security Insurance? All I know about it is that if you become permanently disabled and can't work (and can find a capable lawyer) you might get it it after a long fight and it pays way more then disability insurance. So, I don't know much at all, .
If you are talking about what I think you are, and I doubt it, because then I can't understand how he is going off and on it. Maybe I'm confused with the SSD.
Anyway...yeah...more info please. You say you never pursured support before, so how do you know he is on it and that it is getting him out of paying?
Oh, and WELCOME!!!!

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
ShawnaK
I am New

ShawnaK is an unknown quantity at this point
humm Re: Child support & ssi

Yes, we have gone before a judge. There was actually a time period where I found out he was no longer collecting, so I filled for child support. On april 23 I was awarded child support, he had a job he said he would pay. On May 1st he reapplied for SSI. He is now back on it. I have now been looking into how SSI works, apparently he can work it's just proving he's actually able thats the problem. He owns nothing but a huge 55 inch flat screen TV, he lives with his Mother most likely rent free so he just flys by while my kids suffer from it. Can you help???
ShawnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Wish I could help, but worry not, someone here will be able to I'm sure. Good luck.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
SingleMomSM
Parent on Board

SingleMomSM is an unknown quantity at this point

Man of all the times for lsl ro be on vaca
SingleMomSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Actually, if you have a court order for him to pay, then don't worry about why he isn't paying, just report him to the proper agency for collections. Let him tell his tale of woe to them!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
mykidisfirst Female
Social Director

mykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant future

Yes, if you have a court order then go to the clerks office and report him. How far behind is he?
mykidisfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) can be collected by elderly or disabled people who may or may not have additional income. Its intent is to provide money for basic necessities. (Housing, clothing, food, etc.)

SSI is generally exempt from garnishment by creditors, however, there is an exception to child support. SSI CAN be garnished to pay a court ordered child support obligation. (Section 459 of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 659) Almost anything can be garnished to pay child support.

Contact your attorney and let him/her know that the father is collecting SSI and your attorney should know the steps necessary to file with the court to begin garnishment.
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
MSMOMMYMAYBE Female
On the Board

MSMOMMYMAYBE is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever find a solution? I am going through something almost similar.
MSMOMMYMAYBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Shawn76 Male
Board Blazen Parent

Shawn76 is a splendid one to beholdShawn76 is a splendid one to behold

My ex gets SSI and they take Child Support right out of her check every month. She figured she would get out of paying but she has no way to now.
CSE should help you get CS from him if he is on SSI.
Shawn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
MNLoveMySon Female
Parent on Board

MNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant future

I know that some courts won't take CS from SS benefits if the person is receiving disability. So it's possible that there won't be any support. It's a twisted system. A friend of mine had a child with a man who works under the table and collects SSDI. He turned his back and denied the child and she went after him but the courts gave him a free pass. He was even reported to SSA for working for money under the table but it did nothing. So to answer your question, yes, a man can get away with not supporting his child if he receives SS benefits in some cases. Here in MN, law will grant a nominal support amount of a mere $25 a month for SSI/SSDI recipients. If he's getting SSI, it must mean he's been deemed disabled and therefore his SSDI benefit is significantly low and SSI supplements the benefit to a max payout of $698 a month for living.
MNLoveMySon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:23 AM   #13
Shawn76 Male
Board Blazen Parent

Shawn76 is a splendid one to beholdShawn76 is a splendid one to behold

If I am wrong,correct me,but I believe there is a way to draw his benefits for the kids if he is disabled.It won't be much,but still better then nothing. A friend of mine has 2 kids and they both get a check each month drawn off him.He still lives with the kids and their mom so he doesn't pay CS but it is something to call the SS office and find out if they can draw benefits from him or not.
Shawn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #14
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Depends on the benefit type, but yes, a fully disabled parents children can receive benefits.