Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Where does child support go? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Support

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 06-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
meowmix Female
I am New

meowmix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where does child support go?

I need some advice. My husband and I are separated and he is paying me child support and alimony. I'm wondering where the child support should go? Is it mine? What is it supposed to be used for?

Right now we have a joint account for kids' stuff. It pays for camps, sports, etc. The plan is to put the money into that account. I make a salary now after 15 years of being a stay at home mom. But the standard of living on that salary is non existent compared to how much he makes- as in, we were upper middle class and now I am paying the bills and I can buy a drink now and then or go out to every other week by myself (just one meal to pay for) but I definitely can't take the kids out to do thing non free things or go out to eat like we used to.

Is that kind of what child support money is for? Clothing, outings, etc for them? I have no clue. Or is it only for camps/daycare type stuff? My kids are beyond daycare (they are 15, 13 and 11) so I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to use the money for. It seems selfish to use it to go out to eat, but wow, a little of it could help us go to the movies.

Thanks for any help. I feel so new to all this and overwhelmed in general.
meowmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Where does child support go?

I use it for kids needs...school supplies, food, household needs too. Rent, utilities, etc are part of raising kids.
I don't use CS for my stuff. Although my XE says otherwise

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
cf829 Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

cf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I view child support as repayment for money I spend every month taking care of my son, and use it as I see fit (if and when I ever receive it). I pay for his housing, food etc and CS is a partial reimbursement.
cf829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
meowmix Female
I am New

meowmix is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe what I could do is put part of it in the joint account to pay for camps/sports/etc and part of it in my own personal account to help pay for movies, clothing, a night out with the kids and I.

Thanks, yall!
meowmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
Virgo69 Female
A Cuddly Porcupine

Virgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I never got support, but in my opionion child support is to be used to replace lost revenue created by the separation of the parents and can be used for anything needed such as gas, car insurance, utility bills, rent or mortgage, school supplies, family activities, holidays, etc. There are day to day expenses raising a child and there is no reason for you to shoulder all of the burden.

I do think it's unfair to spend support to get yourself a manicure or a haircut, but at the same time, you would have money for that if you weren't footing all the other bills.

So I guess it is for anything. Just use it responsibly.