Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey when kid is sick - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Support

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #1
Salonmom Female
I am New

Salonmom is an unknown quantity at this point
angel when kid is sick

I lost my job as a hair stylist last December because I missed too many days staying home with my kindergartener while she was so sick to go to school or to a sitter. Her dad would not take any time off work to help. I'm now at my new job trying to make it past the probationary period so I can continue working there. How can I get her dad to help out if that happens in the future?
Salonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: when kid is sick

You cannot make someone do something, no matter how much we hope they will, or whether we hope they should see clearly that they should help. Ultimately, it is their decision.
There may be legal means in a separation agreement where babysitting costs in such circumstances could be shared, but I don't think you can force the father to take time off.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
artsy mom Female
On the Board

artsy mom is a glorious beacon of lightartsy mom is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: when kid is sick

I've been fired during probationary period with no explanation but it was the day after I had to pick up my daughter from daycare right when I got to work. I even got a lecture for bring her to daycare sick. So, I totally get where you're coming from. Mine has missed a lot of school over the years for sick reasons, and I don't think she was always sick.

I always tell myself family first, health first, everything important in my life is at home and that has to come first, no matter how much my employer hates it.
I don't know where you live, but you should call the labor board and find out your rights as a working parent. I wish I knew a long time ago, that parents are allotted 3 days of excusable parent days and you can use them for anything. Sick, vacation, personal and your employer cannot penalize you for them, make you make up the shift, nor ding you with a reliability issue.

The next step is figuring out what exactly is going on with your kid and learning how to assess how sick is too sick to go to kindergarten and child care. This constant school sick leave is going to impact her education, and get you on the schoolboard's radar, which you do not want. I know from experience. A talk with the pediatrician is a good idea.

You should look back and find any patterns. Such as being prescribed antibiotics every time. My kid got immune to amoxicillin, so she was prescribed a stronger antibiotic. She got immune to that. Every time she finished her medicine she would feel okay for the first day back at school and then complain the next day that she was feeling sick, again.
Antibiotics, I've learned, kill off all the good bacteria along with the bad bacteria, creating gaps in the immune system and less defences. I started putting her on probiotics, and I stopped taking her that clinic (her pediatrician is 2 bus rides away and scheduled full. I just take us to walk-ins if it's just a minor sickness or something.) I've noticed that she still gets colds and what not, but not as often as she used to, and we just let it run it's course. She hasn't gotten infections in months.

There is something about dads and leaving the employment sacrifices to the mothers. Have a talk with your husband and really explain to him how important it is that you stay employed, and need help with alternating booking days off of work. Mind you, if your daughter is getting as sick too often, even splitting the days off might end in both of you losing your jobs. Perhaps that's what you're husband is concerned about.

Hopefully you can find out what is going on with your daughter.
artsy mom is offline   Reply With Quote