Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Questions regarding Child support - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Support

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
CherryBlossom Female
I am New

CherryBlossom is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry Questions regarding Child support

Hi I am new to the forum, recently single mother of a 5 year old girl. Me and my ex were together 10 years, I was a stay at home mother for the past 5 years. No income, no healthcare, nothing. Except for my daughter she was taken care of by me, but the father didn't really buy her the necessities that she needed, his parents did. Well he recently decided he wanted to split up, and we were talking about child support and all that. He doesn't think he would have to pay child support if we have shared custody. But he has a job where he works long hours and sometimes he has to work weekends. She is in school, so I figured she would be living with me and visiting with him. But how do I go about this? He thinks that he will not have to spend time with her on weekends (since he wants a social life) and have her a few nights a week maybe. But she will be living with me, since she will be going to school. I don't want to take him to court and make a big mess of things but if he thinks he is not going to contribute anything then what should I do? I am just so confused.
CherryBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Questions regarding Child support

Your daughter needs to be supported and he needs to contribute! I'm not sure about Ohio but here in Ontario there are formula and such for figuring this out. Lawyers are expensive, but prob. req'd. If he is willing though I'd opt for a mediator to work it out as it would cost less.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
CherryBlossom Female
I am New

CherryBlossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, we currently live together at his parents house and he has been fully supporting me, I am currently seeking employment which is hard when you haven't been working for five years but I am working hard to get it. He told me tonight that I ruined his weekend because I had my daughter one day and he had her one day. But if its going to be shared custody then wouldn't it be like that anyways? He says since I am still here it is my job to do this stuff, even though we are not together (we don't talk or anything). He seems like he wants to go out with his friends and spend no time with his daughter. It is super frustrating.
CherryBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

BigBobby has disabled reputation

Hello and welcome to the site.

Each state has a child support worksheet to guide the order for the courts. Here is a calculator for Ohio -> https://ohiochildsupportcalculator.ohio.gov/home.html

Fill it in the best you can, and you will find the basic order for your situation. A judge has the ability to set the order to whatever they want, but this will be their starting point.

Your child's father is completely wrong if they think they will not need to pay child support because the child spend 50% of the time with them. If he disagrees with the order and tries to fight it, then just file in court and let a judge decide.
BigBobby is offline   Reply With Quote