Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey August 20th Get Together - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Massachusetts

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

BigBobby has disabled reputation

Hey,

I am posting an open invitation to all single parents in Mass and New England. For years I've wanted to get a single parent group together; please join my attempt to have a first meeting.

The meeting will be Sat 8/20/05 at 6:00 in a decent restaurant just outside Boston. By decent, I mean they serve alcohol and you probably wouldn't take your kids there. You have to PM me to find out where I made the reservations. It'd be cool if you could include a little info about yourself.

At the meeting I just expect to introduce ourselves, find out what we all like to do, and plan our next activity.

Please bring cash to the restaurant. I'd kinda like to handle the bill with an anonymous pile of cash, and I'll just cover the difference. I'm saying this because I rememeber what it was like the first 5-6 years after my son was born, and I wouldn't have gone to something like this because of money. If it turns out that everybody covers themselves, that's cool. I just want everyone to know that my goal is to have as many single parents show up as possible, and I'd hate for money to be a reason why someone didn't show up. I promise that most of the activities will be free...

So anyway...PM me if you're interested...and please talk about it in the forums. Lol...I gotta make myself break from this place or I'll get myself fired...

Later,
Bobby
BigBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

That is one of the most thoughtful things I've ever heard!

Totally bummed I can't go, you guys better take some pics and get planning before drinking on the next get together!
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:44 PM   #3
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Thanks...I tried

I just got notified of something, however. While I'm the coordinator of this event, I'm not the host. Legally, this means all alcoholic drinks won't be on the official tab, and you have to handle those on your own. I don't think that should be too much of a problem...

Lol...and for the record, I'm going to have some alcoholic drinks...

Later,
Bobby
Old 08-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
HMCR
Parent on Board

HMCR is an unknown quantity at this point

just an FYI for ideas for activites there are also websites that post local and state wide events that are low cost and free alot more choices in the summer, i live close to RI so i know they have alot of activities, ill see what i can come up with for MA info to bring along for the 20th and sometimes i can get discounted or free tix to area attractions
and youll have to have a drink for me since im expecting
HMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Laurie05 Female
Board Beacon Parent

Laurie05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok ya'll I think I am gonna move to MA since ya'll are gonna be havin so much fun . Just saw this post n thot I would b funny.
Laurie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
HMCR
Parent on Board

bobby any info for me for the 20th? im planning to bring another single mom, she just needs to be sure to have a sitter.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:03 AM   #7
HMCR
Parent on Board

just an idea that if someone really wants to go on the 20th but transportation is an issue, maybe we can help each other out so all can attend let me know if someone is stuck in the southern MA area
Old 08-08-2005, 08:55 AM   #8
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Hey people...

I just got back from a fantastic camping weekend in Maine...it was my first time up there.

Keep the messages coming! I have 3 people so far, and one is planning to bring more.

Post up with any q's you may have...

Later,
Bobby
Old 08-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #9
HMCR
Parent on Board

having any more luck Bobby how many people so far?
Old 08-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Heh...it's still the 3 of us (and any extra parents that you may be bringing along).

I see more people from Mass on the Board, however...anyone else interested?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #11
HMCR
Parent on Board

i have one friend who is working on a sitter, i really dont want to drive all by yself that far. i know there are a lot of people from mass, i guess either they arent interested or dont know about it, is there any other way to get it out there?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:50 PM   #12
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

I can think of lots of possible worries that people would have. Lol...for one thing, we are meeting strangers over the Internet...that's always a scary thing.

Even if this first one doesn't have lots of people, it'd be good just to do it for the first time. I'm sure if it's fun and we keep getting together, new people will find out and start coming. You know, we *do* still have a week...a lot of people could come through here in a week.

Later,
Bobby
Old 08-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #13
HMCR
Parent on Board

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBobby:
[qb] I can think of lots of possible worries that people would have. Lol...for one thing, we are meeting strangers over the Internet...that's always a scary thing.

Even if this first one doesn't have lots of people, it'd be good just to do it for the first time. I'm sure if it's fun and we keep getting together, new people will find out and start coming. You know, we *do* still have a week...a lot of people could come through here in a week.

Later,
Bobby [/qb]
i put a note under a couple posts if anyone was interested to PM you. Yeah i guess you are right there are a lot of weirdos out there-good things we arent one of them
Old 08-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
HMCR
Parent on Board

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBobby:
[qb] I can think of lots of possible worries that people would have. Lol...for one thing, we are meeting strangers over the Internet...that's always a scary thing.

Later,
Bobby [/qb]
i put a note under a couple posts if anyone was interested to PM you. Yeah i guess you are right there are a lot of weirdos out there-good things we arent one of them
Old 08-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #15
scoutmom
Board Blazen Parent

scoutmom is an unknown quantity at this point

"good things we arent one of them "
Speak for yourselves. I take pride in my weirdness, .
scoutmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM   #16
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Things are looking good for Saturday...there should be 4 of us, with 1 coming late. It's not too late to add to the reservation, however. Any takers?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:43 AM   #17
HMCR
Parent on Board

Bobby- i have to play it by ear for sat-i just found out i have relatives coming into town and im not sure if they will be here sat or sun ill know more closer to the weekend
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 PM   #18
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Uggh...alright then

We may have an emergency opening for Sat...any takers There will be more of these too...
Old 08-17-2005, 09:19 PM   #19
miss jes
At A loss for Words - NOT!

miss jes is an unknown quantity at this point

awww thats so great! I was just thinking last night how nice it would be if we could all get together. Unfortunately, I live waaaay too far from where you're at. But bobby, if money is not an issue, maybe I'll pay for my meal if you pay for my plane ticket?

Kidding! I hope you all have fun.
miss jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #20
HMCR
Parent on Board

i havent said no yet
Old 08-20-2005, 09:29 PM   #21
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Uggh...ok, here's what's going on...I went to the address, and it was a construction site. I talked to some people around there, and found that the restaurant moved over a year ago. I stuck around until 7:30 hoping to find some of you...I didn't...

I'm sorry this got messed up...I should have verified the address when I called the restaurant. I hope that you all weren't put out by this...I feel terrible...
Old 08-21-2005, 12:57 AM   #22
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I was so hoping to come here and hear what a great time you guys had! I got home this evening and if it weren't for a good fever that is keeping me awake and a sick kid I'd have scrambled for a lst minute babysitter!

So pm me so I know where the heck you were supposed to meet, now I'm curious!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #23
Trasaris
Parent on Board

Trasaris is an unknown quantity at this point

I got their and saw that it wasnt. Almost drove the where it moved.

Dont feel so bad Bobby.
We will have to verify next time....

It didnt ruin my night, I still went out..
Trasaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #24
jaydsdad
Setting New Standards

jaydsdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey bobby,

You're efforts didn't go unnoticed or unappreciated. Like they say in the big leagues; "wait til next year!"

Wishing better luck to you on the next go-round.
jaydsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #25
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Heh...yeah...I guess that I went "out" in a sense...

What were you driving? I was in a black Dakota with an ugly white cap on the back.

We'll get it right next time...I still want the first meeting to be kidless, however...

Later,
Bobby
Old 08-21-2005, 05:04 PM   #26
Trasaris
Parent on Board

I was in a black malibu. I drove all the way up to the building and parking garage they are building. I remember seeing a truck with someone in it but figured it was someone for the construction.

Kidless is cool with me, but Sats. are kind of tough becuase about 75% of the time their mom blows them off last minute. I can usualy get a sitter on other nights.
I know for a fact the kids are NOT going to mothers next weekend.

Next time I will give out my cell # in case something like this happens again.

I still give you an A for effort!

Keith
Old 08-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #27
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

So is anybody going to pm me what place it was that moved?

I hope I can go next time! Although my non child time has gone down indefinitely to 1 night every other weekend
Old 08-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #28
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

How old are everybody's kids? If we had a "with kids" get together knowing ages might help a bit.

Mine are listed in my siggy.... 5, 5, and 6 (all girls)
Old 08-21-2005, 06:48 PM   #29
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Mine is 10yo. He'll be with me next weekend. On Saturday, we're actually going to a baseball game with Parents without Partners...kid activities can be fun.

Later,
Bobby
Old 08-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #30
Trasaris
Parent on Board

3 and 5.
Both girls

Enjoy the game!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #31
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Something great just happened my neighbors all went screaming and running inside from their deck!LOL HEre we have My Scene Jammin in Jamaica on the tube....
Old 08-22-2005, 09:40 AM   #32
kg4333
Learning to Surf The Board

kg4333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by SueP:
[qb] How old are everybody's kids? If we had a "with kids" get together knowing ages might help a bit.

Mine are listed in my siggy.... 5, 5, and 6 (all girls) [/qb]
6 year old girl
kg4333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #33
scoutmom
Board Blazen Parent

scoutmom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry things didn't work out with the get together. I was really trying to make it, heck I even had my boy give me a haircut.

We had a mild problem at the family get-together and my son, of course (who is almost 9), ran over a nest of ground dwelling yellow jackets. Well, needless to say they didn't appreciate it and proceeded to sting him multiple times. Then and hour or so later they went after my dog, who just freaked out. These were the nastiest bees I've ever seen. They wouldn't give up. They were actually burrowing into the fur to sting her.

Needless to say after all that excitement and then the call from Bobby about the address problem I decided maybe it would be better to just call it a night. The poor dog kept jumping around and digging at her ____ like the bees were still there. Poor thing got to sleep on the bed that night.
scoutmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #34
HMCR
Parent on Board

well then i dont feel so bad that i couldnt make it up, i wish things had worked out better, i only have a few weeks left to getogether, then of course when the baby is able to go out i can go. i think i mentioned that they have a cinema near me that has special babies/kids movie days, is there something neutral like that in central MA? see with fall coming we could do hayrides, etc