Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey CS Modification- sticky issue - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Support

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 10-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
SadSun Female
On the Board

SadSun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CS Modification- sticky issue

Ok so I am starting the paperwork for child support modification.
My sticking point though, and the reason why I have not done this before now, is that, when my ex and I got divorced, I ended up having to pay HIM $65 a month, since he took on most of the debt. A year after our divorce we both signed, with a Notary, a letter that said we cease all child support obligations "for the term that child support can be collected". I don't think it was filed with the court though.....

I am worried that if I take my ex to court, this will come back to bite me in the a** because this was 8 years ago. Is the judge going to throw the letter out and make ME pay him 8 years worth of $65/month back pay ?????

Thanks for reading and offering your advice-

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

P.S. why does the county make it so complicated? I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do
SadSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: CS Modification- sticky issue

That is a question a lawyer could answer......I can only speculate. Hope it works out though.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
bluewave Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

bluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Hi SadSun,
I have no idea what to do or better advice...did you end up consulting an attorney on this matter?

Thank you!
--jenny
bluewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
cf829 Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

cf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

A notarized letter doesn't mean squat. It can prove intent and a de facto agreement if you've been abiding by it but shouldn't bar you from going for CS now in my opinion
cf829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

My best advice is talk to a local lawyer who knows the law and the local judge's ways.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
mothertao Female
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

mothertao is a name known to allmothertao is a name known to all

That's really great advice, Dad1st. I was amazed with the informal side of these legal proceedings, how the judge and lawyers can have agreements a processes that help them to decide the best way to handle issues. A good attorney who has long-standing dealings with the court and judge can help guide in this situation.

Mother Tao
mothertao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

The Bible says to Seek good counsel, and a lawyer is addressed as Counselor in court.... makes sense to me.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

not sure what you would be taking him to court for? why would you need to?

with that said, if he had not had a problem with the arrangement, i cant see why the judge would back support.

usually back child support if from when it is filed, however each state is different.

modification usually occurs when there is a change in circumstance, has there been a change?
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
SadSun Female
On the Board

SadSun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Motherboard, Yes there has been a change. Our divorce was over 9 years ago. He has since married again and got another better paying job. But now he is digging his feet in the dirt and refusing to follow through with getting the kids braces. He keeps blaming me, and telling the kids that I'm the reason they can't get braces. Because apparently I said I couldn't afford it- which I never said. I told him I would work it out with the dentist's office. He has fought me for two years on the issue and keeps claiming that it should be "50/50"- which the decree doesn't even state that. It states that HE is ordered to pay for their medical insurance AND that any extraordinary expenses are to be divided according to each party's income. I talked to an attorney a couple days ago, so thank you all for your support. I have a few steps to take..and she gave me the name of a mediator to try that route before seeking counsel, which could be expensive. And Lord knows I don't have a money tree growing anywhere within a 3, trillion mile radius. Thank you!
SadSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:00 AM   #10
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I did find this, maybe it could help

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/213

so if the braces are MEDICALLY NECESSARY, he has no recourse, and maybe a letter from an attorney to him may jolt him to contribute. If not medically necessary, then mediation would be better suited.

If medically necessary, start with obtaining a report of this matter from the dentist. Sent it to him, if he still refuses, get an attorney to send him a course of action letter, threat of court, If he still responds unfavorably, I'd file in Court for him to 'comply'.

heres another resource to read,
http://divorcedmoms.com/articles/whe...tips-and-myths
hope that helps
@SadSun good luck and keep us posted
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote