Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Catholic Agnostic Pregnant Girlfriend - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Religion / Spirituality

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
RentonSpotting Male
I am New

RentonSpotting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Catholic Agnostic Pregnant Girlfriend

okay, so i am a catholic and have recently just gotten back into a relationship with God and things are looking brighter, things seem alittle clearer and im at peace with alot that would usually send me hay wire, for example..

My girlfriend of 8 months is 7 months pregnant with my son due on the 17th of july. I could not be happier now and i beleive that this child should be taken into the catholic faith - like his father. I try to practice what i preach by doing the catholic check list - Mass, confession and prayer.

This is all well and dandy until i start thinking of my girlfriend. She was baptized catholic but was not brought that way. That is not to say she does not beleive in it. Nor does she . She says, for the babies sake she cant be expected to tell my son to go to mass and she does not. She is not aethiest. She says she is very curious and the faith seems interesting.

My Worry is introducing her to it the right way. i do not want to scare her off or push her away etc. we are young (18 & 19) and i just want her to see the gooodness that it brings.

Any interesting/safe ways of inntroducing the catholic faith to a new comer?
RentonSpotting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
the.harder.i.try Female
On the Board

the.harder.i.try has a brilliant futurethe.harder.i.try has a brilliant futurethe.harder.i.try has a brilliant futurethe.harder.i.try has a brilliant futurethe.harder.i.try has a brilliant future
Default Re: Catholic Agnostic Pregnant Girlfrien

Not sure how helpful this will be (since I am not Catholic) but in my experience, when someone can show me (genuinely) how their faith has helped in their own life, I am more impressed than when someone just rattles off a list of do's & don'ts.
My advice is to show her (rather than tell her) how your life is changing - and then when she asks why you are so happy... you can tell her.
the.harder.i.try is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Excellent advice.......very excellent advice. Show her the change and her interest will grow.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

oooookkkkkk. I'll tell you right off, I am not a big fan of Catholisism (sp) in general. I am a big believer of Cristianity, but....
Then let me tell you I once met a Catholic Priest who I adored. Why? Because he was a true man of God, IMO. He was tolerant. He was humble. He was fun loving. He was not all about the material finer things. He loved childen, and his church catered to them, not in a fear God kind of way, but in a God loves you kind of way. The end of the pews in his church and the walls were decorated with pictures children in his congregation drew. You could go to his church in rags and still be embraced, literally, by all.
Not all Catholic churches in my experiences prior or since have been like that. In fact, none had.
So, I would say, if you want her to be open to your faith, that is the approach. She has questions, GREAT! Faith just to please a mate is meaningless. Show her the answers. Show her the love.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
SingleMom123 Female
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant future

I think the hardest thing will be for you not to push your beliefs on her, that is the #1 thing that will turn her away.

I was raised catholic, the bible was always read to me, I went to catholic school, I always HATED church. Religion was forced on me, whenever I asked questions I was rediculed and called an "unbeliever" and punished.

Today, I have denounched my catholic upbringing, cast off all christianity and adopted my own set of beliefs, which are a bit unusual. I follow buddhist beliefs, but still pray to God. Kind of wierd, but it works for me.

My point is, religion was forced on me growing up and now I stay as far away from religion as I can. Remember that with your girlfriend and child, do not push her into it, it will only push her away!
SingleMom123 is offline   Reply With Quote