Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey church??? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Religion / Spirituality

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
strongmommy Female
On the Board

strongmommy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default church???

I would like for my daughter and I to start attending a church. We have never been before. I come from a family of no religion whatsoever. i am actually 3/4 Jewish. Although have never been to Temple or celebrated and of the religious holidays. I was wondering on how to go about finding a church that would suite my daughter and I. Although I did not grow up with religion I would like her to. Any suggestions on how to go about this?
strongmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: church???

Ask people you know, that's usually the best way to start. Research what views line up with yours and look around your community for similar churches.

I grew up in a Methodist church and left there with a church plant. I now go to a large church that a friend of mine told me about. What attracted me at first, was that they run a large free medical clinic and had many other ways of actually taking care of the disadvantaged (the way I think Jesus tells us to) without being preachy. While I don't agree with a few of the political views of the denomination, I do love how they don't thump people over the head. Instead, my church believes in being loving, inclusive, and ministering to the least of those among us.......
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
mykidisfirst Female
Social Director

mykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant future

Hey I am going to try going to a new church this sunday. It is a methodist one. I gre up as a catholic. I ran into someone today and she suggested I try it out. I figure why not.
mykidisfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Oh, and apparently I am a dunce who does not read either (slaps forehead). If you are 3/4's Jewish, then well, Jesus -- well you get it!!! LOL. Aw, we are all from the family of Abraham, so no offense meant!

myfirst: I grew up in the free methodist branch which is an evangelical denomination that is less formal and structured than the united methodist. Less into traditionalism, latin stuff, and I guess, for lack of a better term, less into rituals.... I don't really mean that so much as no readings of litergy, no formal confessions, that kind of stuff.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Oh I think she meant a church that believes in Jesus and not a temple, correct 4strong?

I don't go, I grew up Catholic and was quite turned off. I do want my children to go. O went to AWANA for 2 years and loved it. She went straight to the other side of my beliefs though... e.g. no big bang theory, etc. I've always supported her and told her that what she believes is all that matters and THAT is the key to having belief in the first place. You go by what you know, what you learn, what you feel and make your choices from there. That being said, I've talked and talked and talked to people about this and where to go and we still haven't added this into our lives. I'd like to as I want them to have the opportunity to form their own beliefs.. being here at home isnt' enough.
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
lovingmommy Female
Board Member

lovingmommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is how I've always picked a church to attend. I prefer the smaller churches because its more of a family like environment to me. Those huge churches to me just seem so overwhelming. The church we attend currently is really small maybe 50 people for Sunday Services at most. At my church everyone introduces themselves to new people attending service and make sure they feel welcome and how we would like for them to come back. I just never felt like that in those huge churches. That is my recommendation anyway.
lovingmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Dad of 3 + 3 Male
Lively & Zealous Parent

Dad of 3 + 3 is a glorious beacon of lightDad of 3 + 3 is a glorious beacon of light

I select by reading the doctrinal statement and reading the church constitution, but I have also served on church boards so that affects my thinking.

I also like smaller churches and the one I go to now is small and a come as you are type place (a tie would be out of place). We have several that serve that speak Russian, and there are Russian and Spanish congregations that share the building with us.

It is called a community church but is in association with the Conservative Baptist which is where most of my adult church going has been.

I would recommend reading a modern translation to get an understanding of what the bible says to help you decide.

Things Get Better with age ...
I'm approaching Magnificent

Dad of 3 + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Jenim24 Female
I am New

Jenim24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where in Florida are you from? I am in Brevard County. There are soooo many churches to choose from in FL!!! If there is a Calvary Chapel near you they offer single mom groups that meet separately and have lots of other smaller groups even though they are a large church.
Jenim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
1staDad Male
Board Blazen Parent

1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I grew up Catholic but decided that was not the way to go as I grew up. Too many questions the church could not answer such as one day possible having to respond to my daughters questions of "Why can't I be a priest?", so for me a big portion or selecting a denomination was one that allowed both genders to serve at the highest levels. Spent the better part of a year researching every denomination (I am a little thorough). So we are Methodist but have also attended non-denominational for a time. I think it is important that the kids feel comfortable, so I do listen to their experiences. Being new to the area nd my stbx not liking to go, we had not gone until the last two months when she left.

I do like Methodist because I feel the service actually teaches you something about religion versus the Catholic service focusing on different ways to say "give me money".
1staDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Hehala Male
Learning to Surf The Board

Hehala is an unknown quantity at this point

Going through the same thing right now. Will be moving in the next few weeks and its not a huge move but will be enough for my son to be in a new school district and won't have much contact with his current peers.

He goes to church on wednesdays with some friends currently but will not be able to once we move. So I think church will be a good and positive way of him building a sense of community with the new area. I think it may be something I need also, I went to a lot of different styles of protestant churches while I was growing up but it was sporadic at best and haven't been to any type of church service in my adult life.

I have been looking online at some church websites and many are very wellmade even for smaller churches but I guess the best way is to talk to likeminded people in your area and give a few different churches a try and hopefully you will find one that you are comfortable attending on a regular basis.
Hehala is offline   Reply With Quote