Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Spiritual - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Religion / Spirituality

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
trebor Male
Board Beacon Parent

trebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angel
Default Spiritual

So it's been a while since I attended a religous service and even longer since I attended regularly. I have been looking for a new place to worship for quite some time. But much of what organized religion preaches and stands for turns me off. Last year I attended Easter Mass at a friends Catholic church. Even though I was raised Catholic it just didn't work for me.

I have attended other Christian churches as well, some were better than others. At the last church I attended regularly the Pastor told a story to the congregation how he turned a man away who came to him for emotional support. The man was devistated from going through a divorce. The Pastor turned him away TWICE, because "the man did not tythe, thus God could not help him". REALLY?

I looked into other religions as well. There are many wonderful teachings in Buddhism, Hindu, and Islam. But my base is in Christianity and wanted to stay there, or at least be able to incorporate Christ in my belief system. I also wanted to be able to accept modern scientific discoveries without it threatening my emotional/spiritual well being. The metaphysical approach always appealed to me but I couldn't find anything other than an internet based spiritual center. Until recently!

Last week I was driving to pick up B at his Moms house. I passed a building I had been by many times but never really noticed. However this time there were several attractive ladies walking into the building. So I naturally did a double take! The name on the building included the words spiritual and center, hmmmmm. So I looked it up. And yes it is a place of worship! And most of what I read really excited me.

Last weeks service was something like "Science of Mind" or ??? And no it's not scientology! Honestly I can believe in God all by myself but I miss the sense of community and the designated time and place to remember to acknowledge a higher power. So I was getting a little excited about this prospect, UNTIL I saw the title of an upcoming "sermon"......

""" Amazing Heart Power: It is truly amazing what can be done when our hearts believe in life and each other with love. As the Bible points out, as we think in our hearts so are we."""

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am tempted to attend and interrupt the discussion by yelling out "the heart is just a pump!"
It is frustrating that they speak of science and then suggest the heart feels love.....ugh! I know that I will end up in a 'discussion' on the subject. I am really hoping they are using this figuratively and not literally. But I may give the place a chance. A belief system that incorporates the teachings of all of the major prophets, and doesn't pass judgement on other religions is a good starting point for me. And since B is wired like me, maybe he won't have years without a place to share spiritual beliefs. Has/does anyone here attend a Spiritual Center? Or have a metaphysical approach to religion?
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Spiritual

im at a loss for words... but had to thanks you for the chuckle. / ill have to leave my seat now and get something to wipe the tears that arrived from my burst of laughter....
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

If you do yell out, please be sure to have it recording so we can see!

We don't attend anywhere... I haven't in years and years and years, not since I was under the rule of my Catholic parents.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I could have written this, except the last part.... .

I have been looking into a new movement within Christianity called Progress Christianity. I first heard about it while reading a book called Kissing Fish, which is the story of a Pastor that became disillusioned with evangelical christianity and wanted to form something new that embraced relevant christianity and science. He is moving with the Rob Bell type leadership (google Rob Bell and buy Love Wins, it was life changing for me) and Bob Goff's Love Does........

(Note on Bob Goff -- in the back of his book he gives his phone number and email address and says that he answers all inquiries. I wrote him. He really does. I got an email back that same evening that was full of encouragement. A month letter he wrote ME and asked me how I was holding up and how he could pray for me.)

Anyway, if you go to http://www.progressivechristianalliance.org, there is a link to find community near you.... there might be a church near where you are that you might want to check out.

I am sure there are other pages with a similar thought, belief system out there to research as well.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
zomom Female
Sweet & Sassy

zomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I found a spiritual home with the Universal Unitarians.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
scottrfab Male
Active Board Parent

scottrfab is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly like the idea of a spiritual organization that allows for more free thought about science and the universe around us. I have battled with belief now for a few years. I'm not sure what I believe in. I do know the wonders that a spiritual feeling can bring to you.

Trebor, good luck on your possible new spiritual endeavor!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

Trebor I had to laugh reading that.....and no discussion is req'd......I just notice that in so many subtle ways God is leading you to truth! LOL
I am not a faithful attender...I feel comfortable with the people but "we" used to attend as a family and I find it hard to do so now. Everyone is nice to me, sympathetic and so forth.....but it is not the same.
My ex on the other hand for a while was a church _____.......going from church to church to find one that would offer up the best gift baskets at Christmas ........LOL When she found out that they frowned upon adultery she left as they were too judgemental.......amazing!
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Trebor, funny.
As humans we try to define God in our terms. God is indefinable. The Friends Church I go to has a simple belief. Christ is the Son of God, He died on the cross and Rose again the Third day. The church is not for perfect people, it's for us messed up humans. It is the Belief in Christ and acceptance of His Forgiveness that is our Salvation, not our works or good deeds. As a Follower of Christ I want to be more like him, but it is not required to go to Heaven. We humans add more rules and make things more complicated that they were meant to be.

About 2/3rds of the members are divorce survivors.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Little Lady Female
I am New

Little Lady is an unknown quantity at this point

What is a metaphysical approach to religion?
Little Lady is offline   Reply With Quote