Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Baptisms - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Religion / Spirituality

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

confused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant future
sorry Baptisms

Okey I am Anglican and M is Baptist. I want to get Makayla baptized but M doesn't agree. My reasoning is that ok his religion does not baptize until much later but mine has confirmation which is like his baptisms. So this just gives her a choice down the road. He does not agree. Am I being unreasonable????
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Baptisms

It does no harm, and it does not mean his traditions cannot be observed later if she decides to. And, what sticks out in my mind is this......if building this new life together, and sharing traditions and rituals, were THE priority, alot of other things would have happened by now which he has yet to take care of. No reason M cannot do both traditions!
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I'm going to ditto Muskie here!

He wants you to follow his religion, but cannot make a room for your son? 9 months plus what 2 or 3 now was not enough time for him.... GRRRRRR!

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Yea, I gotta go with everyone else here. However, I am not sure how it all works. Can you even GET her baptized without him around?
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Of course you are not being unreasonable. In the 4 years I have "known" you I have never heard of you being unreasonable or unfair to anyone but yourself. THAT you do often....cause you are so kind and loving.

I vote you do what you wish. If he doesn't believe in it then it doesn't mean anything to him and it sure doesn't hurt her so there is no reason for him to object. If he does, then HE is being unreasonable....again....still....

I want to kick his ___......

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I understand his reasoning though. I understand the "baptist" tradition and baptism in his faith is a key to salvation and it is tied to free will and a person's acknowledgement of their own choice to make Jesus the center of their life.

You know what I see -- a couple that can't compromise at all. This is just symptomatic of your whole relationship.

Can you do a baby dedecation instead? Why do the Anglican's baptize at birth? What is the religious significance?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

confused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant future

Baptism is in my faith presenting your little one to christ the godparents standup for the child. When the child gets older in their teens they go through confirmation which is them excepting god into their lives.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

The Christening is to be accepted by Christ as "one of His own", and is done at a young age to start them off in that direction. It is not an end, but a good start on the journey. But there is more. Godparents are chosen, and those people dedicate their lives to being involved in special ways to the child. Those who attend such a service as asked to pledge to assist the parents in raising the child along this path. Naturally, some take these as mere words to repeat, others take it seriously. This is not just about the child, it is an affirmation of the environment one wants it raised in.

The further acceptance of Christ happens to an Anglican at confirmation time, usually around ages 12-15.
Having a Christening at this early stage does not in any way stop from honouring traditions of other faiths later on. If it was a case of "follow my faith or nothing" then lines in the sand have been drawn.....but this way both faiths' traditions can be honoured. This is not an either/or situation.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused1996 View Post
Baptism is in my faith presenting your little one to christ the godparents standup for the child. When the child gets older in their teens they go through confirmation which is them excepting god into their lives.
I understand this and why it is important to you.
For the sake of clarity though, would you allow M to have her go through a regular baptist full on dunking later if that was important to him (in addition to the confirmation)?

My only concern with that would be that it might be confusing to her, but really, if she believes, can it hurt to say it more than once in more than one way?

Also, I am NOT defending M in any way, I pose this question just for the sake of discussion...cause I am wondering if ya'll are a couple who can't compromise or if it's just M who needs it his way or the highway.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I've always gone on the belief that kids learn and participate in both religions and can make a very educated choice as they grow into young adults as to what their beliefs are. There are so many out there growing up with a Catholic and Jewish parent. Talk about confusion... but they all do fine and choose their own ways as they are adults. I've never understood the strong push for children to believe exactly what we believe anyway... it is such a personal choice and there are so many options out there if they want to be a part of a specific religious following or not.

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
bluewave Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

bluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I agree with going ahead with the baptism--is it is a beginning, more of a blessing of the child and for the family and church community to support your child as s/he beings the life journey. confirmation and the Baptist baptism can come later.

It's a beautiful thing, i think.
bluewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Interesting, because your "baptism" is not what I consider a baptism, but a baby dedication. In the practices of my denomination (four square), the standing up of godparents, and a prayer for the child, while presenting the child to the church and promising to raise that child up in Christ -- that's a baby dedication. Does M understand what the significance is in your denomination?

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiedad View Post
The Christening is to be accepted by Christ as "one of His own", and is done at a young age to start them off in that direction. It is not an end, but a good start on the journey. But there is more. Godparents are chosen, and those people dedicate their lives to being involved in special ways to the child. Those who attend such a service as asked to pledge to assist the parents in raising the child along this path. Naturally, some take these as mere words to repeat, others take it seriously. This is not just about the child, it is an affirmation of the environment one wants it raised in.
Yep, this describes a baby dedication. This is what my ex and I did for our daughter in front of our congregation. Our pastor even writes special letters to each child for them to open at 18. It's a nice ceremony.

Later, when the child is of an age to understand and commit themselves to God, they will choose to be baptized. We baptize in full immersion in water, signifying a cleansing and rebirth. This is usually done in front of the congregation. The person being baptized will profess their faith in God the Father and in Christ and state that they wish to live for Him. Usually there is a class or two that they take to understand the meaning of this decision.

I have seen, in my church, people be baptized more than once. Usually it happens because they change the type of church the go to and they get re-baptized because it meant something totally different in the old church they went to.

I don't think that you all are coming from very different viewpoints. I think it is a lack of understanding. It's not as if you are arguing about the existence of Messiah like you would with a Jew and a Christian.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

In the Anglican church it is not baptism,it is a Christening, though the terms are often used interchangeably by most people. I would turn it around slightly and say what LSL describes as a dedication is a fair description of a Christening ceremony. While the term "Christian name" is not used on forms anymore, it is also the time that the baby's name is given to God as its Christian name.
Being Christened does not preclude participation in other churches, so M is not "chosing" at this stage or even having it foisted upon her. But it does ensure a good start for her.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Muskie and LSL may have hit on the answer.... push it as "Dedication" or "Christening" not Baptism...
I was raised in the Southern Baptist Church where dunking is required, I am a member of Evangelical Friends, which is derived from the Quakers. We don't believe the Baptizum is required, but having nothing against it if someone wants it as their Profession of Faith.
We do have Dedications of our children and families.
Point out that the Core is Belief in Christ as the Son of God and He died on the Cross and rose on the third day. I believe Easter is Holiest of Christian Holy Days.
Doing the Dedication/Christening on Easter would be so cool!

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

A word on full body dunkings...which is how I was baptized but this warning has nothing to do with religion...it's about common sense.

At the time that I was baptized it just so happened that around the country there had been tales of some horrible accidents..because the preacher doing the baptism had taken a live microphone...a corded microphone...into the baptismal pool.

Now, this might be something I should look up on Snopes (I obviously haven't), but no matter what, I know I will always be alert to this anytime I hear of someone being baptised. I could see it being possible.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

The Christening is a religous version of Christening a ship.....the name is given and the bottle of champagne smashed....except in church the sign of the cross is made on the forehead, and God's blessing is invoked.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
JenFree2013 Female
Banned For Spam

JenFree2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess ... take time to talk about it... I always believe that people are meant to find faith in their own way... pray for guidance...
JenFree2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Catholics tend to interchange the word baptism and christening.... The baptism is a small piece where the holy water is placed on the head. The christening is the event. A baby is baptized at the christening. (Course Catholics are also washing away the sins because you are born guilty... to it is truly considered a start)

Did you ever go ahead and do this, Confused?

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||