Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Progressive school or Montessori school? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Mothers ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Moms

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

Dawn Butterfly is an unknown quantity at this point
humm Progressive school or Montessori school?

I'm reconsidering schooling for Ian. He studied preschool in a progressive school but then transferred to a big traditional school when he reached Grade one. The first two weeks were quite a struggle. Each time we were preparing to go to school, he cries, wants me to stay with him in the classroom, and would even get to the point where he takes off his uniform and throws them on the floor. I never experienced this with him before, so I knew something was wrong.

I transferred him back to his small school (they offer first grade too) and he was back to his normal self. He looked forward to going to school, was happy when he came home and very motivated to do his assignment.

However, the school only offers pre-school till grade 1 classes. Come grade 2, I need to look for another school for Ian. I've been looking for progressive schools but they are hard to find. Then I discovered Montessori schools in our area.

I just want to see if anyone here has experienced sending their kids to Montessori schools in elementary? I know the way they teach is more "experiencial" and different from traditional schooling. I'm just concerned if going through Montessori in elementary will prepare him for high school, and even college. Any info about this would greatly help!

Dawn Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Progressive school or Montessori sch

I loooove Montessori! I went only for money but observed a few during my teacher training yrs. it is a beautiful learn at your own pace and be your own person setting. Knowing Ian had difficulty in the larger regular class setting Montessori sounds like it maybe a great fit for him to use his smarts and be Ian at the same time. They reach differently but will receive the academic knowledge to prepare for jr and high school. If only all schools used some of Maria's concepts in learning I suspect there would be a lot less medication being doled out in the nurses offices!

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

Thanks for that advice! So you went on teacher training? My auntie was also trained in a Montessori school and she believes it is the best method for children. They say it can make kids more interested in school, since they use a lot of their senses. The traditional method is mostly auditory and visual. Good thing there's a Montessori school near our place, the tuition fee is just a pain in the pocket! But at least they have installment plans for the fees payment.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

They are never cheap....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 07-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
outinthsticks Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

outinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond repute

I had my daughter in Montessori school for 2 years and she loved it. She would be in it now if I could afford it. When she first started going to a more "regular" preschool she had issues, but has gotten used to it.

I would totally have her in Montessori until at least Jr. High. The older children at her old school were amazing! Such brilliant kids, thinking in such "big" ways!

Have you gone yet to visit a school? They will give you a tour and explain all the workings of the learning philosophy. You should go check one out.
outinthsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

That is the key... they become, or should I say they keep their young child instincts to be, THINKERS!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
outinthsticks Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

outinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond reputeoutinthsticks has a reputation beyond repute

She still tells me sometimes that she isn't sure if she likes it. "They are always telling you what to do at what time"

LOL
outinthsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

I visited two Montessori schools in our area. But one is more "famous" than the other, because it produced better graduates. I have heard a lot of its graduates have made it to top universities here. They almost have the same tuition fees. But I wasn't able to tour the facilities that day, maybe I'll ask for a tour on my next visit. Thanks for the advice!